Costs Of A Ray Peat Diet/Lifestyle

Bodhi

Hello !

I just came back from shopping, Cheeses, Oysters, OJ, Milk etc etc...

And i start to realize that Peating is quite expensive..

My question is how much do you spend on food, milk and OJ a month including all your foodsupplements???
U can post it in US Dollars (i'm from Europe but that's ok )

eg. My former diet would be a very rich porridge in the morning, fruit, lots a water and herbal tea, Sourdough Spelt Bread with mozza cheese, salmon, pesto, tomato etc etc.

For dinner usually a meal with loads of veggies n meat or fish..

I would spend on this (organic foods) about 600 dollars a month including allot of different supplements...

one ltr OJ costs 3 euro's here
one ltr of Jersey cow's milk organic is 1.80 euro

with all the cheeses, oyster, prawns etc etc.. i'm worried that this diet might be a bit to costly...

Please share your datea and maybe you have some tips to keep it doable...

Cheers

a "DUTCH" Peatarian

Bodhi

Suikerbuik

Get some coolbest ;) I thought Kasper was also just using that, not sure if that's still the case though. Anyway, if I recall right, someone mentioned commercial orange juice to be higher in naringenin, a supposed potent aromatase inhibitor. I throw some grinded egg shells in there as well.

OP
Bodhi

Bodhi

Suikerbuik,

Thank you i did not think coolbest was good enough, so i bought freshly squeezed, but that is double the price.
Are u using aspirin? i think in Holland you cannot get 1000 pills for cheap as in US.

Bodhi said:
Such_Saturation said:
300$ including supplements.

wow that is cheap...

You prob. do not buy organic/ grass fed produce?

Bodhi

Yes.

http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4663&p=56676 said:
three quarts of grass-fed milk a day (100g P), organic carrots, organic coffee, organic coconut oil, organic eggs, organic chocolate once a week, liver once a week, etc. plus various supplements (50/month?) which can be tuned down at will.

Dean

Such_Saturation said:
Bodhi said:
Such_Saturation said:

wow that is cheap...

Bodhi

Yes.

three quarts of grass-fed milk a day (100g P), organic carrots, organic coffee, organic coconut oil, organic eggs, organic chocolate once a week, liver once a week, etc. plus various supplements (50/month?) which can be tuned down at will.

Where do you live that you are able to get grass-fed milk that cheap? Or do you have your own cows?

Peata

I mostly eat what is already around for everyone else here, things like coffee, sugar, milk, meat, fruit, juice and so on. I have changed things a lot and now I eat a lot of foods that would be considered non-Peaty -eat some of what I cook for the others, the things they like such as casseroles. I don't cook with pufas, of course. But on top of that, I do get some extra things just for me that the others don't like - Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, String Cheese. Probably spend about $20 per week on that.

Supplements are harder to figure because a bottle of something could last one month or three, depending how many are in it. I get some of it at vita cost, some of it at Walmart. Cyproheptadine is $5 for 30 tablets.

pboy

its kind of just organic good food can add up, in general...regardless of diet. When I was a pure vegan eating mostly fruit, it was 'expensive', relatively. Then I became more just basic vegan, some fruit but mostly one pot or baked stuff...I was flyin high at that time of my life so I was having fun with it and not trippin, I got the cost down to maybe 11-15$ a day, that was probly the cheapest ive ever eaten organically, but eventually all the offensives of that diet, cause I wasn't quite doing it right...so I had to change it again. As ive gone more Peat inspired...really though my diet, peat principles, not application, its more a unique thing, its still about as expensive as my initial high fruit consuming days. What ive realized is that an optimum diet no matter which route you take just, costs. Its first priority, cause everything else arises out of that

like you could buy commercial OJ, and save like ..a lot over fresh jucing, but it might come with gastric consequences. You can eat brown rice and beans and stuff, but its not going to be as pleasant or happy inducing as filling up with ripe mangos, and usually...dunno, b asically theres usually a very real trade off, don't get ripped off, but even just basic good stuff that isn't going to have a drawback can add up. Even potatoes, which are much better than grains, organic potatoes, can add up, I think its like a dollar for 150 calories worth for organic potato where I live...so it might still be even mostly p otatoes, with a few other things, a 20 dollar a day thing. Probably the cheapest diet that's got all the nutrients that would be pretty good, still health over sick promoting, would be like rice, bananas, cucumbers and maybe a cup or 2 of milk a day and few veggies or carrots in there

Dean said:
Such_Saturation said:
Bodhi said:
Such_Saturation said:

wow that is cheap...

Bodhi

Yes.

Where do you live that you are able to get grass-fed milk that cheap? Or do you have your own cows?

2€/L ?

Dean

Such_Saturation said:
Dean said:
Such_Saturation said:
Bodhi said:
Such_Saturation said:

wow that is cheap...

Bodhi

Yes.

2€/L ?

That's pretty good. I always thought grass fed meats/milk was harder to come by in Europe and would thus be more expensive. Still think you are underestimating your monthly food expenses, which isn't uncommon for people who aren't on too tight of a budget. I mean, in your "grocery list" there is no source of carbs. I assume you buy fruit or juice, or maybe you eat starch for your carbs?

A

Anonymous

I find it to be pretty reasonable actually. The only thing that is outrageous for me is $6 for half a gallon of whole milk with no added vitamins. A dozen of pastured eggs are $6 too. After that I can find everything else at a conventional grocery store. Turkey hill natural ice cream, tropicana orange juice, pork rinds, real sugar Pepsi, gummy bears, carrots, potatoes, coconut oil, cheeses, salt, Greek yogurt, brown rice pasta, are all pretty reasonable.

Dean said:
That's pretty good. I always thought grass fed meats/milk was harder to come by in Europe and would thus be more expensive. Still think you are underestimating your monthly food expenses, which isn't uncommon for people who aren't on too tight of a budget. I mean, in your "grocery list" there is no source of carbs. I assume you buy fruit or juice, or maybe you eat starch for your carbs?

No, two-hundred-and-fifty is comprehensive of about three liters of organic orange juice (six kilograms of oranges). It becomes three-hundred with occasional supplement shopping.

Dean

ok, good for you. It's kind of an eye-opener that food and especially a fruit like oranges are that much cheaper in Europe than in the US, but then again Europeans don't seem to be as insanely reverential of the profit motive.

It depends on which oranges you settle for.

jyb

The cost varies a lot due to how much quality fruit and meat you get. As you increase the proportion of milk and dairy products, the cost decreases wildly.

BobbyDukes

Such_Saturation said:

Not criticizing your approach (I mean, who can turn down freshly squeezed OJ, from your own hands), but do you find peeling those oranges everyday a bit of a chore? Unless they peel real easy?

I've only tried commercial organges, and I reacted badly to them. They made me feel pretty unwell, and I tried a few different types.

BobbyDukes said:
Such_Saturation said:

Not criticizing your approach (I mean, who can turn down freshly squeezed OJ, from your own hands), but do you find peeling those oranges everyday a bit of a chore? Unless they peel real easy?

I've only tried commercial organges, and I reacted badly to them. They made me feel pretty unwell, and I tried a few different types.

Oh no I cut them in half and squeeze them, then strain the juice. Daily fiber intake should be about five grams including two grams from carrots. The rest is probably from the chocolate which however is more of an all in one day thing, I had to spread it out to get correct RDA readings.

ilovethesea

I find it very expensive compared to my high starch, low protein, low calorie way of eating before. Since I raised my metabolism and cut out starches I find I go through so much more food.

The milk, carrots, coffee, sugar, Coke and liver are the only cheap things. Milk is $4/4 L here. But that's the crappiest skim brand. Organic is like $10+/4L.

Greek yogurt is $4-6 per 500g container. Parmigiano reggiano is $23/kilo. Non factory eggs are $9-10 a dozen.

About the only consistent good fruit I can get year round is oranges. By the case they are $37 and I probably go through two cases a month. If I want to buy frozen fruit eg. mangos, it costs $6 for a small bag which is like one serving for me.

Seafood is expensive here and not great. The stores seem to focus mainly on salmon and I refuse to buy shellfish from Asia. A single serving of white fish from sustainable sources is easily $10. A bag of shrimp is over $20.

I feel like I am constantly grocery shopping just to keep the fridge stocked and it really adds up.

BingDing

Basic for me (US) is (approximately)

$64/mos for 8 gallons of raw milk
$48/mos for 4 gallons Uncle Matt's OJ,
$16/mos for coffee beans
$40/mos for skyr/fage yogurt like stuff
$16/mos for 1 gallon of 1/2 and 1/2
$10/mos maybe for low fluoride water
$194 total for essential basics

Animal protein can vary widely, by taste as much as by price. $160 for 20 pounds of non-aged beef recently is pretty high, but the lack of amines is going over quite well.

Supplements can vary widely, too. High dose K2 and liposomal glutathione ($90/mos) are at the high end, I figure they are worth it right now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals