Blossom

Forum Supporter
TheHound said:
would cyproheptadine be a good option for someone trying to put on weight? I just turned 20 years old and would like to gain a good 20 pounds
It helped me have a better appetite initially. I gained 15-20 pounds and like you I wanted to gain at the time (40's and female).

TheHound

Blossom said:
TheHound said:
would cyproheptadine be a good option for someone trying to put on weight? I just turned 20 years old and would like to gain a good 20 pounds
It helped me have a better appetite initially. I gained 15-20 pounds and like you I wanted to gain at the time (40's and female).

I've read a post stating that cypro can cause weight gain from the stress lowering aspects of it while eating the same amount of calories. im not sure how true this is but it would be ideal for me because I'm practically eating everything in my house as it is now and going grocery shopping even more than I have to now (which is a lot) would be quite annoying

RPDiciple

TheHound it cant. If it lowers stress hormones aka increase metabolism it will make you loose fat on same amount of calories.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
RPDiciple said:
TheHound it cant. If it lowers stress hormones aka increase metabolism it will make you loose fat on same amount of calories.

Some people have issues that do not allow them to put on weight. Wasting disease like diabetes and various anorexias have shown to be helped by cyproheptadine, at least in terms of restoring proper weight.

tara

TheHound said:
I've read a post stating that cypro can cause weight gain from the stress lowering aspects of it while eating the same amount of calories. im not sure how true this is but it would be ideal for me because I'm practically eating everything in my house as it is now and going grocery shopping even more than I have to now (which is a lot) would be quite annoying
You know it varies a bit from person to person, but men your age typically need around 3500 cals, or more if extremely active? Maybe you know this, and are eating reasonable amount, but some of the common calorie recommendations seriously underestimate. (This is not from Peat.)

Yes, this does take a bit of shopping, and it can get expensive, depending what options you have locally.

khan

Which drug is more anti-cholinergic , cyproheptadine or mirtazapine?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
khan said:

Definitely cyproheptadine. As far as I know mirtazapine was specifically developed to NOT have the anticholinergic effects of cypro.

khan

haidut said:
khan said:

Definitely cyproheptadine. As far as I know mirtazapine was specifically developed to NOT have the anticholinergic effects of cypro.

Thanks for the reply Haidut. Doctor has prescribed me mirtazapine for OCD and depression. I am using it from last 8 days but not getting much results. I have used also cyproheptadine which clearly makes a difference in my case. What do you think which other medicine is comparable to cyproheptadine in terms of anti-choline?

I work a fairly physical job 6 days a week starting at 5am. I've been working early morning physical jobs for about 8 months now and I've seen a pretty clear decline in my health. I struggle to get my metabolism working in the morning. I typically wake up around 4am and eat just before i leave for work. I've tried eating lots of sugar and or starch(which makes me feel pretty bad), salt and protein but I generally just don't feel good if I eat too much. I tend to sweat alot until 7-8am even though I feel cold and I'm just about always tired. So after that period I feel pretty achy and cold still up until I leave around 10-11am. After I wind down at home my temperature rises very quickly and I usually pass out for 1-3 hours and wake up feeling much better.

I can't say I always get enough sleep but I try. Before working early mornings I was always someone that fell asleep no earlier than 1 am, so it was a pretty stressful switch. Could cyproheptadine be a useful tool in this situation?

InChristAlone

If you need to be up at 4am cypro may cause too much drowsiness, it depends on how much adrenaline you run on think.

Janelle525 said:
If you need to be up at 4am cypro may cause too much drowsiness, it depends on how much adrenaline you run on think.

Is this not something that can be overcome with dosage and timing and getting used to the drug in general? I think I am running on adrenaline in the early morning based on the way i feel. Never used to have that problem when i woke up after 10am.

InChristAlone

It can knock down adrenaline which will cause you to feel sleepy for a while until you get used to it, Ray Peat said to take it on the weekend or when you can sleep so that you know how it will effect you and you wont have to work through the zombie feeling.I can take a small amount like .3-.5 mg and not be too drowsy the next day but even at that dose it seems effective.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
khan said:
haidut said:
khan said:

Thanks for the reply Haidut. Doctor has prescribed me mirtazapine for OCD and depression. I am using it from last 8 days but not getting much results. I have used also cyproheptadine which clearly makes a difference in my case. What do you think which other medicine is comparable to cyproheptadine in terms of anti-choline?

Benadryl is probably pretty close to cypro in terms of anticholinergic activity. I don't know if it will be effective for OCD and depression. You can ask your doctor if he would be willing to try pramipexole for you. Look at the Wiki page below in the section on depression.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pramipexo ... depression
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pramipexo ... depression

kineticz

I have received my cypro today and taken 4mg about two hours ago, I have noticed increased clarity, my posture has improved somehow, and I'm hungry. I have not yet noticed drowsiness.

What is the science behind wanting to lower choline? I ask because unlike a year ago, these days choline supplements and eggs make me feel unwell.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
kineticz said:
I have received my cypro today and taken 4mg about two hours ago, I have noticed increased clarity, my posture has improved somehow, and I'm hungry. I have not yet noticed drowsiness.

What is the science behind wanting to lower choline? I ask because unlike a year ago, these days choline supplements and eggs make me feel unwell.

Choline is excitotoxic in high doses, and Peat has written about it. A few years ago cholinergic drugs were expected to cure Alzheimer's but ended up as complete failure. It is the anticholinergic drugs (like cypro) that improve memory and neurogenesis.

kineticz

haidut said:
kineticz said:

Choline is excitotoxic in high doses, and Peat has written about it. A few years ago cholinergic drugs were expected to cure Alzheimer's but ended up as complete failure. It is the anticholinergic drugs (like cypro) that improve memory and neurogenesis.

What can cause high choline?

Interestingly I was taking DMAE, eggs, and CDP-Choline when my problems started the last time.

I must admit I am starting to feel sedated now and very mellow from the cypro which might have been a high initial dose lol. Thankfully it's Friday :D

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
kineticz said:
haidut said:
kineticz said:

What can cause high choline?

Interestingly I was taking DMAE, eggs, and CDP-Choline when my problems started the last time.

I must admit I am starting to feel sedated now and very mellow from the cypro which might have been a high initial dose lol. Thankfully it's Friday :D

Well, high choline intake for one. I think Ray specifically advised against taking choline supplements. I think also the excitotocity caused by high estrogen is mediated through choline even though I don't know if estrogen raises choline levels directly.
If you search the articles on ray's website you will find more info.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals