mas

Ben said
RP said they show promise in treating Alzheimer's disease, and that cholinergic drugs will slowly be phased out of existence

cholinergic drugs will slowly be phased out of existence

Thanks for that Ben.I found this:

Ray Peat
[b]Autonomic systems
In Alzheimer’s disease, there has been a great investment in the doctrine that drugs to promote the function of cholinergic (acetylcholine forming) nerves will restore lost mental function, or at least retard the progression of the disease. The success of anticholinergic drugs in treating several degenerative brain diseases is probably embarrassing to the companies whose cholinergic-intensifying drugs aren’t very successful. Conveniently for them, these formerly “anticholinergic” drugs are now being called anti-excitotoxic or anti-glutamatergic drugs. There is no serious conflict in the terminology, since the cholinergic processes (like the serotonergic processes) are closely associated with excitotoxic nerve damage. The cholinergic drugs will probably be sold as long as their patents are effective, and then will be quietly forgotten.[/b]

No wonder that doctors don't understand human physiology systems and the interaction of these systems with each other. They are taught with convoluted, upside-down terminology, and just continue on with endless "repetition", as Peat says. They have no idea what the biologic effects are with the drugs that they dish out.

Ben

Kasper said:
Makes sense, they prescribe adrenalin shots for allergic reaction emergencies because adrenalin acts in the opposite way of histamine. Antihistamines and anticholinergics cause some symptoms resembling activation of the sympathetic nervous system, like dilated pupils, dry mouth, and erectile dysfunction. People with low histamine have high blood sugar, are usually overstimulated in the adrenergic way, have dry mouth, visible anxiety, low libido, sleep a lot, and aren't very motivated, and people with high histamine have anxiety invisible to people (like worry), overstimulated in the histaminergic way, have low blood sugar due to glycolysis, have lots of saliva and libido, sleep little, and have lots of motivation and achievement.

I find this interesting, but do you have any reference for this ?
Yep, and I just made a lengthy thread on it. It mentions who would best respond to anti-histamines like cypro or anti-cholinergics like atropine.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3830

mmartian

I'm thinking of ordering Cyrpoheptadine to treat occasional insomnia. Does Cyproheptadine have any rebound effects? Like, whenever I take Benadryl or Unisom in order to help fall asleep, I get a "rebound" effect the next night where the sleeplessness seems to be even worse. For that reason, I'm reluctant to use antihistamines when it comes improving sleep – it always seems to backfire. I know Cyproheptadine is also a first-generation antihistamine. Is it similar to Benadryl in that respect?

Also, does anyone know where I can order some online? Please PM me if you have a good source.

Thanks!

Ben

My dermatologist said cyproheptadine stopped being prescribed about 20 years ago in the US because of side effects like weight gain, and they started prescribing newer antihistamines. Does this mean buying it from Mexico is the only option?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ben said:
My dermatologist said cyproheptadine stopped being prescribed about 20 years ago in the US because of side effects like weight gain, and they started prescribing newer antihistamines. Does this mean buying it from Mexico is the only option?
I got my cyproheptadine by prescription in the U.S. It's just not available over the counter.

Ben

Blossom said:
Ben said:
I got my cyproheptadine by prescription in the U.S. It's just not available over the counter.
Maybe my dermatologist just didn't prescribe it in a long time. He suggested Zyrtec, which RP said can be toxic to the liver. Do you think Cypro would be the next option if I say Zyrtec doesn't work well for me or has side effects?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ben said:
Blossom said:
Ben said:
Maybe my dermatologist just didn't prescribe it in a long time. He suggested Zyrtec, which RP said can be toxic to the liver. Do you think Cypro would be the next option if I say Zyrtec doesn't work well for me or has side effects?
I've read bad things on the forum about zyrtec. I don't remember the specifics so I apologize but I'm sure if you searched zyrtec you could find some helpful information. Your dermatologist probably just didn't know. I got a nurse practitioner I know to write me a script luckily or I'd have to get it from Mexico. She wasn't familiar with cyproheptadine either so I had to write out everything for her and she just signed it! I think cyproheptadine just isn't commonly used in the U.S. It's probably due to the serotonin lowering properties if I had to guess. :?

Ben

Man, how backward is that! It reduces serotonin, so it isn't used commonly! Backward like everything, I suppose. Saturated fat, sugar, cholesterol, iron, water, salt, etc. Well, thanks. I'll see more doctors eventually, and see if they'll prescribe me it. I don't expect a prescription, so I may get it from Mexico and see how it effects me. I wonder why Cypro is prescription-only in the first place. Benadryl is notorious for its anti-cholinergic side effects, and it's still OTC.

jyb

Ben said:
Man, how backward is that! It reduces serotonin, so it isn't used commonly! Backward like everything, I suppose. Saturated fat, sugar, cholesterol, iron, water, salt, etc. Well, thanks. I'll see more doctors eventually, and see if they'll prescribe me it. I don't expect a prescription, so I may get it from Mexico and see how it effects me. I wonder why Cypro is prescription-only in the first place. Benadryl is notorious for its anti-cholinergic side effects, and it's still OTC.

I like how doctors freak out for an old anti-hayfever drug studied for many decades that when overdosed to the max on grandmas is harmless, but no problem for some hardcore anti-depressants that can leave a 20 year old impotent for life and increase his suicide risk as clearly written even on Wikipedia.

c093

Does anyone have the link for a good source in Mexico (or elsewhere) for the cyproheptadine
that they might be kind enough to share with me in a pm?
I apologize for repeating my request from the "source" thread.
I'm just suffering terrible stomach/digestive issues that my GIs cannot fix, and so I am desperate to try something
that could work beyond thyroid (which I supp NDT), and anti-inflammatory foods, etc.
I've tried googling it with no luck in finding one from canada that will ship to the U.S. or doesn't need an rx.

tara

What happens with cyproheptadine withdrawal? Do the issues it relieves tend to return worse if you stop? If so, how long do you need to be taking it for this to be an issue?

I've acquired some cyproheptadine. My main purpose is against migraine. I gather some migraineurs find it helpful to use it daily as prophylaxis, while others take it only when they get a migraine. The box says take 1 (4mg) at onset, and another (4mg) half hour later if needed.

I am considering whether to try a low dose (eg 1mg) regularly, or a higher dose when migraine threatens/begins. I would probably prefer to try just taking it when migraine threatens than all the time. So far, in the last few days, I tried:
Day 1. Test 1/4 or 1/3 tablet one evening to see how drowsy it made me. No clear effect - not drowsy next morning.
Day 2. Next day migraine threatened in afternoon. Took remaining 2/3 or 3/4 tablet. Half hour later headache worsening, though more on opposite side than usual, took another 4mg. Had to lie down after a bit - very drowsy. Not sure if it was the headache or the drug that was doing it. But I didn't get the full-on migraine that I usually get. Not sure if it just wasn't going to be because it was on the other side, or if the cyproheptadine stopped it.
Day 6. Feeling a bit dodgy this morning, took 2mg. Improved. Feeling ok now.
Not enough data to conclude much yet, but keen to keep trying it. The 2mg didn't mess with driving alertness etc today, but I wouldn't have got behind the wheel for several hours on Sunday after ~7mg (though it could have been the headache/migraine itself that made me drowsy).

Any thoughts on whether I risk worse negative side-effects (eg withdrawal) with low chronic use or higher intermittent use?

jyb

tara said:
What happens with cyproheptadine withdrawal? Do the issues it relieves tend to return worse if you stop? If so, how long do you need to be taking it for this to be an issue?

I haven't noticed things getting worse after withdrawing. But it could be that your previous symptoms return as they were. For migraine, it seems like pregnenolone is good too if you haven't tried it first.

SQu

I break a 4 mg pill into four and spread it out during the day. 1 mg at a time doesn't make me dozy anymore and I'm seldom feeling close to a migraine anymore but if I am I can defuse it by taking a bit more cypro. More often till symptoms subside. I find it great and no side effects and no withdrawals if I miss a few days. Don't feel reliant on it but do think it's played a big role in keeping me migraine free for a couple of months now I think - must check.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No withdrawals or anything I noticed either.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals