Cyproheptadine - Alternatives

DaveFoster

I've been on cyproheptadine for about six months now, but more like a year off and on.

It's great; it helps my mood, pulse, appetite, and it puts my mind at ease over the cardioprotective effects.

The weight gain though, has got me stuck around 16%-18% body fat, and I'd like to drop lower.

What can do the same as cyproheptadine without the weight gain? Has anyone had any experiences with metergoline/lisuride and can compare them with cypro?

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Once you started cypro did your appetite increase?
Yes; it took away some persistent morning nausea and allowed me to eat.

Velve921

Stimulating metabolism is obviously a good thing...but I can understand where you are coming from. I'm now doing gymnastic bodies combined with ELDOA; they are low lactic acid training and restore good metabolic function. Could be thoughts for you to consider.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Stimulating metabolism is obviously a good thing...but I can understand where you are coming from. I'm now doing gymnastic bodies combined with ELDOA; they are low lactic acid training and restore good metabolic function. Could be thoughts for you to consider.
Very interesting; I checked out ELDOA and watched part of the video. I'll look into it. I like weight training, as I'm trying to put on mass.

@haidut Would metergoline have less of a effect on weight, even in the non-obese, or is it unknown? I'm just finding studies on serotonin blockade leading to increased food consumption and weight gain.

Koveras

Very interesting; I checked out ELDOA and watched part of the video. I'll look into it. I like weight training, as I'm trying to put on mass.

@haidut Would metergoline have less of a effect on weight, even in the non-obese, or is it unknown? I'm just finding studies on serotonin blockade leading to increased food consumption and weight gain.

My guess - metergoline will still stimulate appetite (studies show that), but will have less of an effect on weight because it lacks the 5-HT3 antagonism (thus quicker bowel movements) and it also lacks the sedating anti-cholinergic effects of cyproheptadine which otherwise may reduce activity/movement to some degree.

If 5-HT3 antagonism is needed at some point (anti-nausea or other effects attributed to it), maybe ginger or ginger products could sub in.

Im not an expert as u know

But

L lysine 1 gram after dinner
Is awesome

Wont let u eat
Specially after a good dinner
And sleep 8 deep hours

I didnt try cyproh

Velve921

I have been finding that gymnastic s and Eldoa both utilize movements that recruit more motor units which can spawn muscle growth. I like your idea of weight lifting to build mass; maybe it could be a good experiment combining some movements from multiple training paradigms? For example, Jefferson curl, L5/S1 Eldoa and hollow position holds could be easy implementations to add into your weight lifting routines.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to exercise, though. Doug McGuff's one-workout per week appealed to me for a while.

@ecstatichamster

Well I'm talking abt my experience

On a empty stomach
It will make u so hungry

And on a full stomach
It makes you feel good

I mean I take it before bed
And I sleep very well

400 mg l theanine is amazing after dinner

But if you don't get hungry on l lysine

Take it before going to bed directly

I'm just saying

I did for 2 nights and I well rested

Velve921

I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to exercise, though. Doug McGuff's one-workout per week appealed to me for a while.

Working out is not for everybody...maybe consider finding new activities that involve a loaded resistance that can create movements you'll enjoy emotionally? For example, I used to be a gym rat. After learning from Dr. Peats mindset and seeing Ito Portals work, it made me think that life can be about moving creatively and testing your bodies true potential in all capacities.

I now do:

Gymnastics
Rock climb
Ski
Learn a language
Softball
Soccer
Hockey

And eventually I will take up dance and possibly a martial arts. I think the bodies metabolism can run its best when the body is challenged in all forms of creativity with mindset and movement. Hence why you hear me talk about EldOa, gymnastics, and other movements as the body will open up and create flow in ways it never thought could be possible.

Regina

Working out is not for everybody...maybe consider finding new activities that involve a loaded resistance that can create movements you'll enjoy emotionally? For example, I used to be a gym rat. After learning from Dr. Peats mindset and seeing Ito Portals work, it made me think that life can be about moving creatively and testing your bodies true potential in all capacities.

I now do:

Gymnastics
Rock climb
Ski
Learn a language
Softball
Soccer
Hockey

And eventually I will take up dance and possibly a martial arts. I think the bodies metabolism can run its best when the body is challenged in all forms of creativity with mindset and movement. Hence why you hear me talk about EldOa, gymnastics, and other movements as the body will open up and create flow in ways it never thought could be possible.
I forget, are you Chicago-based? I do aikido here now: Midwest Aikido Center (Montrose and Damen). Wonderful school. No gurus.

Regina

I'm in Arlington heights. Aikido sounds cool!
It's the bomb for so many reasons. I think you'd love it.
Out your way, my friends do some aikido in a karate space in Mt. Prospect and also in another space in Vernon Hills.
Genseikan
Great Lakes Aikido
Mike is pretty good. Super nice Russian guys.

But some people commute into Midwest Aikido (Northbrook, Lake Forest, Aurora and even WI)

Velve921

I will keep that in mind!

For the time being all my activities im trying to find through online programs as I move 2x a year. For example, gymnastics bodies is great because I can do it anywhere

Regina

I will keep that in mind!

For the time being all my activities im trying to find through online programs as I move 2x a year. For example, gymnastics bodies is great because I can do it anywhere
Ooo but I love all the touching and connection with aikido. It's like choir and square-dancing but harder contact and higher consciousness.
A few years back when I used to train hard, I always traveled with a gi (uniform) because if you belong to one dojo in a certain assoc., you can walk into any dojo in the world and be welcomed on the mat.

haidut

Forum Supporter

I think it is unknown at this point. But the ongoing clinical trials with TPH inhibitors for obesity and diabetes show that systemically low serotonin should lead to weight (fat) loss. If metabolism improves this increases the androgen/estrogen ratios and muscle mass should be at least retained if not even gained.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I think it is unknown at this point. But the ongoing clinical trials with TPH inhibitors for obesity and diabetes show that systemically low serotonin should lead to weight (fat) loss. If metabolism improves this increases the androgen/estrogen ratios and muscle mass should be at least retained if not even gained.
I've noticed some tolerance to the weight gain side effect, but it's still there.

I'm just thinking that in relatively healthy individuals, the anti-inflammatory effect of cyproheptadine does not outweigh its CNS stimulation of appetite, similar to how green tea catechins help obese lose weight (due to their anti-inflammatory effects,) but their thyrosuppressive effects predominate in non-obese persons.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals