Dairy, and leaky gut

dukez07

Is there a reason why dairy is never associated with leaky gut within the RP community? Yet absolutely everywhere else, you read of dairy being one of the main offending food groups.

Anyone ever asked Dr Peat about this? Or does anyone know his viewpoints on this topic?

Mittir

Yes, RP answered those questions in several interviews.
You can listen to Josh Rubin's RP interview on Milk.

OP
D

dukez07

Just watched it. What a headache. So, according to Josh Rubin, there are a million reasons as to why somebody might have problems with milk. What a fun diet this is trying to work all of that out. You could spend your whole life trying to work out why milk doesn't work for you, but best to keep plugging on because getting it to work for you depends on so many factors, and you must exhaust them all to get the benefits from milk.

Anyway, he didn't really answer my question. He spoke about how the gut can get into a comprimised state through bad eating, which causes inflammation which then explains the negative reaction some people get from drinking milk.

My question is about dairy potentially being a direct trigger for leaky gut syndrome (which a lot of people seem to think it is). Or is this another one where RP is victorious? The way I see it, RP will do whatever it takes to protect and defend his beloved dairy (which his whole dietary approach is based on).

J

j.

dukez07 said:
What a fun diet this is trying to work all of that out. You could spend your whole life trying to work out why milk doesn't work for you, but best to keep plugging on because getting it to work for you depends on so many factors, and you must exhaust them all to get the benefits from milk.

I don't think one must get milk, I consume a lot of farmers cheese with coca cola and that's enough to fulfill the protein necessary to speed up metabolism.

Once your metabolism is up, you're more likely to be able to adapt to milk. Or you can continue consuming cheese, or potato juice.

J

j.

dukez07 said:
My question is about dairy potentially being a direct trigger for leaky gut syndrome (which a lot of people seem to think it is).

Low thyroid function is one the most frequent causes of gut problems. There is a study showing that 50% of hypothyroid people have SIBO, for example.

OP
D

dukez07

I use cottage cheese at the moment.

Milk has always been lame for me. It sedates my bowel, makes me edgy and wired (heartbeat increases - but this isn't raised metabolism, because sex drive hits the shitter big time on milk), ruins my sleep quality (but then, high animal protein has akways comprimised this, to some degree), makes my skin look gross (dry) and other issues, too. And yes, I tried 10 different brands. I tried raw, skimmed (the worst out of all of them), semi-skimmed, whole, pasterurised, organic, grass fed, the whole lot.

I get none of the above from cottage cheese.

Anyway, I'm digressing lol.

OP
D

dukez07

j. said:
dukez07 said:
My question is about dairy potentially being a direct trigger for leaky gut syndrome (which a lot of people seem to think it is).

Low thyroid function is one the most frequent causes of gut problems. There is a study showing that 50% of hypothyroid people have SIBO, for example.

I can dig that. I tried thyroid medication (cynomel), but even in super low doses it made me extremely fatigued (I am normally full of energy). It was slap bang crippling fatigue, too.

The best thing I can do for my thyroid health is just live out the next four years and wash as much PUFA away as I can. A diet of cottage cheese, potatoes (the best of a bad bunch), lots of salt, OJ, liver, carrot salad and meat is what works best for me.

The only thing that has significantly raised my body temperature (which I am amazed at), has been the introduction of potato starch into my daily routine. 4tbs per day (yields 32g of resistant starch), has warmed me up significantly, and has done much more for my body temperature than any of RPs dietary recommendations. Still, I believe in his ideas (long term) and I just have to be patient I guess (looks like it's going to be years before I start getting better).

J

j.

Have you tried a bit of a T3/T4 combo and not just T3?

The thing that has warmed me up the most, more than thyroid, is consuming 80 grams or more of protein consistently.

Have you tried light therapy?

Mittir

I think you heard the wrong interview.
I was talking about Josh Rubin Interview with Ray Peat on milk.
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/0 ... nterviews/

Milk is not a must item in RP's recommendation.
Cheese is lactose free. One can do a dairy free version.
For muscle meat he recommends added calcium and gelatin to balance
excess phosphorus and tryptophan. It is a wrong idea that RP's whole diet is based
on dairy. Here is a link to RP's general dietary guidelines
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20

OP
D

dukez07

Mittir said:
I think you heard the wrong interview.
I was talking about Josh Rubin Interview with Ray Peat on milk.
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/0 ... nterviews/

Milk is not a must item in RP's recommendation.
Cheese is lactose free. One can do a dairy free version.
For muscle meat he recommends added calcium and gelatin to balance
excess phosphorus and tryptophan. It is a wrong idea that RP's whole diet is based
on dairy. Here is a link to RP's general dietary guidelines
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20

Thanks, I don't really need an introduction to RPs dietary guidelines. How do you know I don't know more than you do, lol? A bit arrogant.

I know all about balancing muscle meat with calcium because of its inflammatory phosphorus/calcium ratio (I take calcium carbonate for this purpose).

I also know all about gelatin because it contains inhibitory amino acids that helps balance out the trypo, methionine and cysteine - which are higher in muscle meats.

If you actually read my posts, you will see that I am not some noob who needs schooling.

Ok, his whole approach isn't based on dairy, but it's far more optimal than meat (which has toxic compounds through the cooking process - AGEs, etc).

Also, if you are going to speak about a specific video, perhaps link it to start with.

OP
D

dukez07

j. said:
Have you tried a bit of a T3/T4 combo and not just T3?

The thing that has warmed me up the most, more than thyroid, is consuming 80 grams or more of protein consistently.

Have you tried light therapy?

I did try levothyroxine alongside it in varying doses, but it made no dfference. I haven't tried any t3/t4 formulas.

Hmmm, interesting about the protein. I guess it depends on where that protein comes from, because milk definitely doesn't warm me up. Cottage cheese does, though. As does meat. This could all be related to salt though, too. Defintely helps.

I want to look into light therapy, thanks for the suggestion.

Mittir

dukez07 said:
The way I see it, RP will do whatever it takes to protect and defend his beloved dairy (which his whole dietary approach is based on).
That is interesting.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals