Disappointing K2 study

ironfist

This was originally posted on longecity and I am posting it here to encourage k2 discussion.

```````````````````````

Vitamin K2 and D in Patients With Aortic Valve Calcification: A Randomized Double-Blinded Clinical Trial

Axel C.P. Diederichsen,

Jes S. Lindholt,

Sören Möller,

Kristian A. Øvrehus,

Søren Auscher,

Jess Lambrechtsen,

Susanne E. Hosbond,

Dilek H. Alan,

… See all authors
Originally published25 Apr 2022https://doi.org/10.1...NAHA.121.057008Circulation. 2022;145:1387–1397

https://www.ahajourn...aortic stenosis.

In a randomized, double-blind, multicenter trial, men from the community with an AVC score >300 arbitrary units (AU) on cardiac noncontrast computer tomography were randomized to daily treatment with tablet 720 µg MK-7 plus 25 µg vitamin D or matching placebo for 24 months...The progression in aortic and coronary artery calcification score was not significantly different between patients treated with MK-7 plus vitamin D and patients receiving placebo.

A noncontrast cardiac CT scan was obtained at baseline, and repeated after 1 and 2 years of intervention.

The progression in aortic and coronary artery calcification score was not significantly different between patients treated with MK-7 plus vitamin D and patients receiving placebo.

This result will be disbelieved or questioned by some in the K2 community, but this trial seems seems very well-designed and executed AFAICT.

tankasnowgod

This result will be disbelieved or questioned by some in the K2 community, but this trial seems seems very well-designed and executed AFAICT.
I don't really know how "well done" the study was, at least 76% (and maybe 100%) of patients were on some other sort of medication-

Treatment with angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors or angiotensin-II receptor blockers was common (54%), 76% received statin therapy, and 2% (n=8) had a bicuspid aortic valve. Of the 365 included patients, 333 completed the study, 171 (94%) in the MK-7 plus vitamin D group and 162 (89%) in the placebo group. Reasons for abandoning the study are shown in Table S1.

Statins apparently raise the calcium score (and they were the most common medication in the study)-

So, that is a massive confounder. If statins themselves can nullify any positive effects of K2 and/or D, then the result was a foregone conclusion before it began. Or, it may have needed a higher dose to show any sort of improvement.

Also, they used the MK-7 form. The initial studies that showed a lot of promise all used the MK-4 version (at higher doses) than this study.

Limon9

I don't really know how "well done" the study was, at least 76% (and maybe 100%) of patients were on some other sort of medication-

Statins apparently raise the calcium score (and they were the most common medication in the study)-

So, that is a massive confounder. If statins themselves can nullify any positive effects of K2 and/or D, then the result was a foregone conclusion before it began. Or, it may have needed a higher dose to show any sort of improvement.

Also, they used the MK-7 form. The initial studies that showed a lot of promise all used the MK-4 version (at higher doses) than this study.
Agreed. It's quite confounded. Haidut also mentioned that a bunch of pioneering and promising MK-7 studies were essentially supplement PR pieces, so perhaps it has spawned well-meaning but futile imitators using it instead of MK-4.

OP
I

ironfist

Here is the original thread with longecity

Ras

MK-7 is junk, and they gave them only 1,000 IU of Vitamin D3, which is essentially nothing. And most of these patients were on statins, which are pills of death.

This study can go into the trash.

crazypatriot

MK-4 is the body's preferred form.

This is like saying a study regarding beta-carotene implies the same results for retinol.

OP
I

ironfist

MK-7 is junk, and they gave them only 1,000 IU of Vitamin D3, which is essentially nothing. And most of these patients were on statins, which are pills of death.

This study can go into the trash.
Link to report showing mk7 is junk?

OP
I

ironfist

There is a supplement by Life Extension that has mk4, mk6, mk7 and mk9.

I see a lot of things describing mk4 as better, and mk7 as better. One has a shorter half life, one crosses the bbb, one is found in food, whatevs etc.

crazypatriot

Link to report showing mk7 is junk?

Structural Insights into Phylloquinone (Vitamin K1), Menaquinone (MK4, MK7), and Menadione (Vitamin K3) Binding to VKORC1

Vitamin K family molecules—phylloquinone (K1), menaquinone (K2), and menadione (K3)—act as γ-glutamyl carboxylase (GGCX)-exclusive cofactors in their hydroquinone state, activating proteins of main importance for blood coagulation in the liver and for arterial calcification prevention and energy metabolism in extrahepatic tissues. Once GGCX is activated, vitamin K is found in the epoxide state, which is then recycled to quinone and hydroquinone states by vitamin K epoxide reductase (VKORC1). Nevertheless, little information is available concerning vitamin K1, K2, or K3 tissue distribution and preferential interactions towards VKORC1. Here we present a molecular modeling study of vitamin K1, menaquinones 4, 7 (MK4, MK7), and K3 structural interactions with VKORC1. VKORC1 was shown to tightly bind vitamins K1 and MK4 in the epoxide and quinone states, but not in the hydroquinone state; five VKORC1 residues were identified as crucial for vitamin K stabilization, and two other ones were essential for hydrogen bond formation. However, vitamin MK7 revealed shaky binding towards VKORC1, induced by hydrophobic tail interactions with the membrane. Vitamin K3 exhibited the lowest affinity with VKORC1 because of the absence of a hydrophobic tail, preventing structural stabilization by the enzyme. Enzymatic activity towards vitamins K1, MK4, MK7, and K3 was also evaluated by in vitro assays, validating our in silico predictions: VKORC1 presented equivalent activities towards vitamins K1 and MK4, but much lower activity with respect to vitamin MK7, and no activity towards vitamin K3. Our results revealed VKORC1’s ability to recycle both phylloquinone and some menaquinones, and also highlighted the importance of vitamin K’s hydrophobic tail size and membrane interactions.

tankasnowgod

There is a supplement by Life Extension that has mk4, mk6, mk7 and mk9.

I see a lot of things describing mk4 as better, and mk7 as better. One has a shorter half life, one crosses the bbb, one is found in food, whatevs etc.
I am only aware of "Super K" by Life Extention, that has K1, and K2 as MK-4 and MK-7. Do they also have a "Super Duper K" or something?

Regardless of the effects of MK-7, the fact that 76% of patients in the study were on statins is a massive confounder, especially since it seems to be well known that statins increase calcification.

Maybe try emailing the study authors, to get a breakout of the non-statin users in both Placebo and K2 groups.

Ras

crazypatriot

I believe the recommendations from Price are not just to take K2 (and nutrient dense foods in general) for cavity prevention, but to actually limit refined sugars and grains. The strongest bone will still decay from acid producing bacteria which thrive on sugar. My opinion is that diets high in sugar will require a lot more attention to teeth brushing, flossing, and mouth washing -- you can't just take K2 and think you don't have to do these things. I also don't believe K2 can reverse cavities, from my own experience.

OP
I

ironfist

Some member on longecity posted about being uncertain whether they used trans mk7 or cis mk7. Cis is basically pointless and isn't bioavailable but some supplements are this form.

crazypatriot

The Relentless Improvement brand claims to be 99% Trans. My wife and I have been using that one for years.

haidut

Forum Supporter
This was originally posted on longecity and I am posting it here to encourage k2 discussion.

```````````````````````

Vitamin K2 and D in Patients With Aortic Valve Calcification: A Randomized Double-Blinded Clinical Trial

Axel C.P. Diederichsen,

Jes S. Lindholt,

Sören Möller,

Kristian A. Øvrehus,

Søren Auscher,

Jess Lambrechtsen,

Susanne E. Hosbond,

Dilek H. Alan,

… See all authors
Originally published25 Apr 2022https://doi.org/10.1...NAHA.121.057008Circulation. 2022;145:1387–1397

https://www.ahajourn...aortic stenosis.

A noncontrast cardiac CT scan was obtained at baseline, and repeated after 1 and 2 years of intervention.

As other users already mentioned, most people in that trial were on statins. Statins are actually known to increase vascular calcification, so I am not even sure how they are still prescribed as "therapy" for CVD, but that is a separate topic. Assuming MK-7 and vitamin D worked, this trial actually showed that those vitamins managed to block the pro-calcification effects of statins - i.e. the overall effects on calcification was null, despite the usage of pro-calcification statins. Yay!
In addition, MK-7 is not the form usable by the human body, as other users also mentioned. Its long side chain will have to get cleaved a few times and eventually get shortened to become MK-4. So, since MK-7 is administered in microgram (mcg) amounts, at best you'd be getting mcg amounts of MK-4 as a metabolite. However, in order for MK-4 to have an effect on bone resorption, human studies have shown that at least ~1mg daily is needed, and at least 5mg daily are needed for optimal effect.
"...Fifteen healthy males aged 25.0 years (median) participated in a non-placebo-controlled dose-examination study. They received menaquinone-4 daily for 5 weeks at 0, 300, 600, 900, and 1500 μg/day in weeks 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, respectively. Compared with baseline, serum γ-carboxylated osteocalcin levels were significantly greater at an intake of 900 μg/day or more;..."

So, with the MK-7 administration of mcg amounts in this study getting mg amounts of MK-4 is impossible. I still view the study results as good though. We now know that vitamin K can prevent the calcification effects of statins:): The bad news is that Big Pharma will stop at nothing in its quest to bash effective, OTC therapies while the real villain is its own toxic drugs (statins in this case). Just a few months ago they were again bashing aspirin, while the real culprit were the blood-thinners aspirin often gets co-administered with.
@tankasnowgod @Ras @EvanHinkle @crazypatriot @competentmouser

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals