Does Your Gut Get Used To Milk?

What milk gives you the least issues?

• Raw Milk

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Pasteurised milk

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

Josh

i've just started drinking Raw whole milk.. Only little bits of it but seems like my stomach is not reacting well: Gas, Rumbling, lethargy etc.. I've tried drinking it warmed up and don't think i've had any issues so far today so thats good.

Now i really want to keep milk in my diet since i really don't want to take calcium supplements and histamine in cheese is an issue for me (Used to eat raw gruyere cheese and parmigianno).. So is it true that if i keep on introducing the raw milk that my stomach will eventually get used to it? (produce the right enzymes etc) has anyone experienced this?

Also, which gives you less issues in the poll below? (I just cant see how Raw milk isn't better than pasteurised milk, being that it has all the enzymes, good bacteria etc still in-tact, even if ray peat says it doesn't matter)

Beastmode

The main thing Peat suggests to consume seems to be a consistent problem for many. Especially when starting off.

I had a lot of issues when I tried to drink a quart a milk a day from the beginning. It took me a few years to build up to a quart without any issues.

Everything supports one another, so I think getting the other aspects (i.e- low pufa, enough quality carbs, sunlight, carrot salad, etc) consistent while slowly introducing a milk that you don't react too is the key. Some people have to start at a TBS per day and some can do ok with more.

It's really a self experiment.

baccheion

Start with a 36-hour fast. After, drink only milk for a few weeks. 1.5 oz/lb of skim/1% milk (manually remove fat). Prepare with rennet and lactase if so desiring.

After, add fruit (juices). Then any etceteras.

Markus

Start with a 36-hour fast. After, drink only milk for a few weeks. 1.5 oz/lb of skim/1% milk (manually remove fat). Prepare with rennet and lactase if so desiring.

After, add fruit (juices). Then any etceteras.
I find it interesting that dairy pretty much is the only thing I crave when fasting.

Parrot

Try A2 milk and see if that makes any difference. I use a full fat pasteurised, but not homogenised, milk and dilute it with coconut milk

T

TheBeard

i've just started drinking Raw whole milk.. Only little bits of it but seems like my stomach is not reacting well: Gas, Rumbling, lethargy etc.. I've tried drinking it warmed up and don't think i've had any issues so far today so thats good.

Now i really want to keep milk in my diet since i really don't want to take calcium supplements and histamine in cheese is an issue for me (Used to eat raw gruyere cheese and parmigianno).. So is it true that if i keep on introducing the raw milk that my stomach will eventually get used to it? (produce the right enzymes etc) has anyone experienced this?

Also, which gives you less issues in the poll below? (I just cant see how Raw milk isn't better than pasteurised milk, being that it has all the enzymes, good bacteria etc still in-tact, even if ray peat says it doesn't matter)

You need to let the raw milk out of the fridge for at least 5 hours to drink it at room temperature.
Also, every sip you take you should swish it for 10 seconds before swallowing so as to allow enzymes to start working on it.

boris

@Josh according to Peat raw milk is fine if you personally know the cows and they are well kept and healthy. He says pasteurized causes less problems. Some people even do best with UHT milk.

Also like many said, warm milk can make a big difference.

yashi

I developed lactose intolerance in my twenties for a few years. Now it's pretty much gone, after 6 months of carnivore and drinking pastured raw milk homemade kefir. I don't know which of those it was. Maybe just less inflammatory plants healed my gut so I can have dairy again. Maybe the kefir helped. Now I am not carnivore anymore, nor did I drink any kefir over the winter, but I can drink milk, have ice cream, eat feta cheese (all things that would upset my stomach before) without any problems.

Basically what I want to say is, there is hope of reversing it, especially if you didn't grow up lactose intolerant.

baccheion

Paul Jaminet (Perfect Health Diet) believes wheat/gluten causes dairy/lactose intolerance. It should be reversible by giving up wheat and doing other things to fix the gut.

Check this out:
Lactose Intolerance: Often A Result of ‘Silent’ Wheat-Derived Bowel Disease - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet
Trypsin bludgeons lactase levels. Lactase is also dependent on pH (prefers lower in the small intestine).

Fructose (and therefore, sucrose) increases expression of the LCT/lactase gene. Progesterone has a similar effect. Quercetin.

Aspirin lowers LCT activity. Genistein.

Progesterone, vitamin D, lithium, aspirin, copper, corticosterone, and THC decrease MCM6.

Last edited:
I drink one of a few brands of lactose free milk, ultra pasteurized, with no problems. I did get constipated for awhile but that is now fixed thanks to antibiotics and then Mutaflor, which seems to have permanently (we will see) fixed constipation and I no longer suffer from that and can drink LF milk without any issue. I drink about 1/2 gallon or slightly less most days.

postman

If you heat up milk it's not raw milk anymore. But maybe you're super careful about it and make sure it doesn't go above 40 degrees C?

I think eating raw meat / raw dairy can cause discomfort if your body is not used to it but if it still causes problems after 2-4 weeks it's probably not going to improve.

mrchibbs

After several years of not drinking milk, it took several months of small amounts of milk and slowly increasing to get fully readjusted to it. I tend to buy organic 1% because the taste is better to me, but regular is fine too.

Ableton

For me it helps to not have too much liquid at a time, and to have milk with solid meals, and to never have more than 1 glas milk at a time. It’s tricky
2 glasses on empty stomach results in diarrhea regularly

Heat it up. I thought I'm lactose intolerant for some degree because having more than 2-3 liters per day was giving me gut issues. I have found out that if I heat milk up I'm fine. Someone has posted about it on the forum and I gave it a try. It does work fine for me. I drink cheapest skim available.

Arnold Grape

Heat it up. I thought I'm lactose intolerant for some degree because having more than 2-3 liters per day was giving me gut issues. I have found out that if I heat milk up I'm fine. Someone has posted about it on the forum and I gave it a try. It does work fine for me. I drink cheapest skim available.
+1: Heating the milk (and sometimes putting a bit of Gelatin or sugar mixed in) makes me burn up. It’s strange how all these little tricks make a difference.

Mark2020

I’ve posted about this before.... warm milk is the ticket for me. I drank cold milk out of the fridge for years, and always had horrendous results. Always had a white coating on my tongue (which indicates incomplete digestion). Heating up the milk, I digest it wonderfully. Any kind of milk, except skim milk. I do horribly with skim milk. It gives me diarrhea, and makes me feel terrible. 1 or 2% is best for me. Whole milk can quickly make my stomach fat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals