EASY "PEATY" PROTEINS - Recipes with photos & Step By Step Instructions

OP
Rinse & rePeat
SWEET POTATO CRUST QUICHE

I have been making scalloped potatoes often with white sweet potatoes and regular red potatoes, and loving how they make me feel, light on my feet, even with all of the cream. I love quiche, but don’t make it anymore because of the wheat crust. Though I could make it with heirloom Einkorn flour, it is just a little too time consuming and I would really rather avoid the starch, plus my boys don’t care much for quiche. The one said he thinks because of the dryness of it, but he absolutely loves my scalloped potatoes. So I thought to try a different quiche with my favorite white sweet potatoes. I generously buttered a deep glass pie dish and put a layer of thinly sliced white sweet potatoes on it, slicing them on the side of a box cheese grater. The butter ends up frying the potatoes. I sautéed some green onions, in a little butter with sweet potato leaves and fresh stinging nettle. Mushrooms would be a good substitute with sweet onion or a meat. I then mixed about one cup of cream, maybe a little less, with 5 eggs, salt and nutmeg and poured it into my sweet potato lined pie dish, topped that with a good amount of grass-fed Swiss cheese, then my sautéed greens and then a little more cheese and popped it into my preheated 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes. Both of my sons, and my daughter-in-law, raved about this quiche. I ate all of the leftovers the following two mornings. This will be a regular around here. I think this would work with one less egg, making it more custard-like, which I might try next time.

Attachments

• FA0F6312-2F95-458B-B07D-19DCF2339D54.jpeg
    FA0F6312-2F95-458B-B07D-19DCF2339D54.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 11
  • B6BBB7B0-9AAB-439F-A6C1-BBDF0A5B2DDA.jpeg
    B6BBB7B0-9AAB-439F-A6C1-BBDF0A5B2DDA.jpeg
    587.5 KB · Views: 10
  • F60999EA-D6F7-46B9-BB02-9DFF6710124C.jpeg
    F60999EA-D6F7-46B9-BB02-9DFF6710124C.jpeg
    404.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 81615EAD-5F0C-4891-BB4E-38938E951743.jpeg
    81615EAD-5F0C-4891-BB4E-38938E951743.jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 30E5C465-C950-4E7A-869B-D0C0BBEE63CB.jpeg
    30E5C465-C950-4E7A-869B-D0C0BBEE63CB.jpeg
    851 KB · Views: 11
OP
Rinse & rePeat
HOMEMADE COTTAGE CHEESE

Making cottage cheese was so fast and easier than I expected! I brought to a boil 8 cups of whole milk and then added 6 tablespoons of organic white vinegar, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of salt, turned off the heat, stirred it a bit and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then I lined a bowl with cheese cloth and ladled the curds into it. I then gathered up the edges and squeezed out most of the excess liquid, which was hard to do because the liquid was still hot, so I might let it cool more next time before adding the curds to the cheesecloth. This cottage cheese was very different tasting than the store bought, mild without any sourness, which I assume means no lactic acid, and no reason to rinse it. There is a lot of leftover whey though, which I would like to find a use for, unless it is not very “Peaty”?

1698504800692.jpeg

1698504828563.jpeg

1698504859549.jpeg

“More specifically, curds are comprised of about 25 percent casein protein, 30 percent milk fat, and various vitamins and minerals, including calcium, potassium, and vitamins A, D, B6, and B12. And whey is about 90 percent water, but it's also rich in whey protein, lactose, calcium, and vitamins B1, B2, and B6.”

View: https://youtu.be/vF0t8DYjrPw?si=O20cbWgC10DZTAkv

sunny

HOMEMADE COTTAGE CHEESE

Making cottage cheese was so fast and easier than I expected! I brought to a boil 8 cups of whole milk and then added 6 tablespoons of organic white vinegar, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of salt, turned off the heat, stirred it a bit and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then I lined a bowl with cheese cloth and ladled the curds into it. I then gathered up the edges and squeezed out most of the excess liquid, which was hard to do because the liquid was still hot, so I might let it cool more next time before adding the curds to the cheesecloth. This cottage cheese was very different tasting than the store bought, mild without any sourness, which I assume means no lactic acid, and no reason to rinse it. There is a lot of leftover whey though, which I would like to find a use for, unless it is not very “Peaty”?

View attachment 57448
View attachment 57449
View attachment 57450
“More specifically, curds are comprised of about 25 percent casein protein, 30 percent milk fat, and various vitamins and minerals, including calcium, potassium, and vitamins A, D, B6, and B12. And whey is about 90 percent water, but it's also rich in whey protein, lactose, calcium, and vitamins B1, B2, and B6.”

View: https://youtu.be/vF0t8DYjrPw?si=O20cbWgC10DZTAkv

Not sure if the whey is peaty, but " the healthy home economist" will have lots of uses for traditional cooking ingredients.

Also, here is another traditional cooking site:

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Not sure if the whey is peaty, but " the healthy home economist" will have lots of uses for traditional cooking ingredients.

Also, here is another traditional cooking site:

The first link you posted for the cheese says to NOT use whey leftover from making cheese. I wonder why, and what the differences are?

sunny

The first link you posted for the cheese says to NOT use whey leftover from making cheese. I wonder why, and what the differences are?
Hmm, yes, it looks like it is using whey from making cream cheese, which is not cooked.

Here is her cottage cheese recipe. I thought it might have a whey suggestion, but it does not.

sunny

At the end of her instruction for making quark, which is heated, it says "wondering what to do with the leftover whey, try making gjetost ", so maybe it would work.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
At the end of her instruction for making quark, which is heated, it says "wondering what to do with the leftover whey, try making gjetost ", so maybe it would work.

I guess it is worth a try. Thank you sunny!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Just wanted to everyone know that I am creating my own site where all my “Peaty” recipes will be well organized. I hope to see you there when I get some content in. Leave me a message at the email address below so I can put you on my mailing list and contact you when it is ready to go!

My website is: www.raymendeat.com

Ray_Mend_Eat

Email me at [email protected]

OP
Rinse & rePeat
For further updates on the recipes at raymendeat.com I can be found on Instagram @raymendeat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
EGG YOLK FLIP

1. Gather ingredients; whole milk, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of sugar and cinnamon sugar (optional)

2. Put milk, sugar and just the yolk of the egg into a blender, and blend for at least 30 seconds on high speed. Pour into a glass and top with cinnamon sugar!

Fellow member, Elderflower first brought the Egg Flip to my attention. She says she mixes hers with maple syrup. I had wanted to find a way to get raw egg yolks into my diet, but procrastinated trying this drink, thinkingbit wouldctaste eggy. Fellow member, Sefton brought up his warm version yesterday, that he swears by too. He makes his with honey. So I decided to finally make my own Egg Flip yesterday and I loved it. I had another one today too! Sefton says his tastes like an eggnog, while my cold Ceylon cinnamon sugar topped version reminds me of Mexican horchata!

From the Ray Peat Forum E-mail Exchanges:
[RAW EGG YOLKS OK?]
"Yes, eggnogs for example." -Ray Peat

View: https://twitter.com/RogueScholarPr/status/1542522033778466818/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1542522033778466818%C2%A4tTweetUser=RogueScholarPr

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals