Esophageal Spasms and hiccups

Zpol

This seems to be a somewhat rare condition so not sure anyone can help but worth a shot...

Last Thursday night (4 days ago) I started experiencing Esophageal Spasms again. I've had this issue previously when I went through a particularly stressful time in my life. And am now experiencing some stressful circumstances again. Interestingly, a couple weeks ago I also experienced a bout of hiccups. I managed to get rid of them but my rhythm hasn't felt right since then.

A possibly related factor is that for the week leading up to the Esophageal Spasms I was taking 2.4mg of Methylene Blue (in Oxidal) 2 or 3 times a day.
The day that I got the spasms, I couldn't sleep because I was worried about my husband. He eventually got home at about 2:30am I was able to finally fall asleep but I had to have something to eat first so that I wouldn't experience low blood sugar as I slept. I ate about 1.5oz of boiled fat free chicken breast, coconut oil, carrot sticks, and a White Rock gingerale (made with cane sugar not HFCS). Immediately after eating that the spasms started. These foods are some of my 'safe' foods and have never before caused any issues so I think the spams were due to the stress and the timing.
The next day I stopped taking the MB and started taking two Pepcid AC (famotidine) tablets (1 ea. morning and bedtime, away from food). But I am still suffering with these spasms.

Benadryl and alka-seltzer seem to help temporarily as well. I can't take cyproheptadine or ketotifan; I am intolerant to them for some reason. Also, I focused on getting lots of rest the last few days and staying as calm and relaxed as possible. But, I am still suffering from these spams. Kinda feels like I may have a hiatal hernia as well.
I already take T3, T4, B-vits, Vit D via my lamp, vit K, egg shell calcium, glycine, magnesium bicarb water, and I have modified my diet significantly as to be as easy to digest and nutrient dense as possible (zero starch, lots of quality protein, ripe fruits, pufa-free, allergen-free, poison free, etc). Also, I am currently taking 3 drops progesterone 5x per day (just started my monthly 14 days of use).
My next thought is to try a high dose round of Pregnenolone. I have done 30mg per day in the past but the effects diminished after a few months so I quit. As I understand it, higher dose, perhaps used topically instead of orally might circumvent the issue of diminishing effects, also cycling on and off (not sure what cycling time frame would be best, weeks or months).
It's definitely stress related, as well as hormone and serotonin related, and likely calcium channel related.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions regarding this issue?

This seems to be a somewhat rare condition so not sure anyone can help but worth a shot...

Last Thursday night (4 days ago) I started experiencing Esophageal Spasms again. I've had this issue previously when I went through a particularly stressful time in my life. And am now experiencing some stressful circumstances again. Interestingly, a couple weeks ago I also experienced a bout of hiccups. I managed to get rid of them but my rhythm hasn't felt right since then.

A possibly related factor is that for the week leading up to the Esophageal Spasms I was taking 2.4mg of Methylene Blue (in Oxidal) 2 or 3 times a day.
The day that I got the spasms, I couldn't sleep because I was worried about my husband. He eventually got home at about 2:30am I was able to finally fall asleep but I had to have something to eat first so that I wouldn't experience low blood sugar as I slept. I ate about 1.5oz of boiled fat free chicken breast, coconut oil, carrot sticks, and a White Rock gingerale (made with cane sugar not HFCS). Immediately after eating that the spasms started. These foods are some of my 'safe' foods and have never before caused any issues so I think the spams were due to the stress and the timing.
The next day I stopped taking the MB and started taking two Pepcid AC (famotidine) tablets (1 ea. morning and bedtime, away from food). But I am still suffering with these spasms.

Benadryl and alka-seltzer seem to help temporarily as well. I can't take cyproheptadine or ketotifan; I am intolerant to them for some reason. Also, I focused on getting lots of rest the last few days and staying as calm and relaxed as possible. But, I am still suffering from these spams. Kinda feels like I may have a hiatal hernia as well.
I already take T3, T4, B-vits, Vit D via my lamp, vit K, egg shell calcium, glycine, magnesium bicarb water, and I have modified my diet significantly as to be as easy to digest and nutrient dense as possible (zero starch, lots of quality protein, ripe fruits, pufa-free, allergen-free, poison free, etc). Also, I am currently taking 3 drops progesterone 5x per day (just started my monthly 14 days of use).
My next thought is to try a high dose round of Pregnenolone. I have done 30mg per day in the past but the effects diminished after a few months so I quit. As I understand it, higher dose, perhaps used topically instead of orally might circumvent the issue of diminishing effects, also cycling on and off (not sure what cycling time frame would be best, weeks or months).
It's definitely stress related, as well as hormone and serotonin related, and likely calcium channel related.

That happened to my dad a few years back. He had hiccups for 3 straight days, never stopping. He does deal with acid reflux and maybe that is what brought it on, but he made a doctors appointment over it. I suggested to him to drink a cup of water with a few packets of sugar in it as well as a big pinch of salt, before heading to his appointment, and he did it, and his hiccups went away within 30 minutes. Needless to say he cancelled his appointment. You might try calming your spasms with that Ray Peat combo.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

That happened to my dad a few years back. He had hiccups for 3 straight days, never stopping. He does deal with acid reflux and maybe that is what brought it on, but he made a doctors appointment over it. I suggested to him to drink a cup of water with a few packets of sugar in it as well as a big pinch of salt, before heading to his appointment, and he did it, and his hiccups went away within 30 minutes. Needless to say he cancelled his appointment. You might try calming your spasms with that Ray Peat combo.
Thanks!! I'll try that.
I love it when doctors give such simple and effective remedies.

whit

Honey usually works for us.

Nicole W.

Hi Zpol, my husband and I both get the esophageal spasms when we eat chicken. It’s probably not the chicken per se. The culprit is more likely the arsenic that has been fed to the chicken. Arsenic can cause muscle spasms and throat constriction in some people. Like you said it can last for days. We never had a problem up until about two years ago, but now it happens to us almost every time we eat chicken and sometimes rice also.
I’m sure you make a practice of only consuming organic chicken but I suspect that arsenic Is still fed to them in order to accelerate their growth.
Because we weren’t absolutely sure at first, my husband and I have tested this “ theory” repeatedly and I encourage you to do the same. For us chicken breast seems to be the worst, causing severe throat constriction and hiccups, while chicken thigh pieces, especially in sauces, seems to be the least troublesome.

The throat spasms are extremely stressful and it’s hard to not freak out when you are in the middle of an episode. I think there is a stress component because once you throat constricts it’s hard to stay calm.

I just wanted to share this with because I know what a very distressing symptom it is and wanted to possibly offer a clue as to what is really happening.

mostlylurking

I went through around 20 years of getting things stuck in my esophagus like you are describing. Dense white chicken meat and raw crunchy carrots were usually impossible to get down. I would find myself in the bathroom yacking up the offending food at least 2-3 times a week. Horrible way to live.

I don't do that anymore. I have learned that thiamine deficiency will cause this problem. I now supplement with high dose thiamine hcl and I haven't had anything get stuck since starting this regimen around the first of the year. I can eat meat again!!

Here is a video about how thiamine deficiency can wreck your digestive tract, including your esophagus:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi0O_fzczYA

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Hi Zpol, my husband and I both get the esophageal spasms when we eat chicken. It’s probably not the chicken per se. The culprit is more likely the arsenic that has been fed to the chicken. Arsenic can cause muscle spasms and throat constriction in some people. Like you said it can last for days. We never had a problem up until about two years ago, but now it happens to us almost every time we eat chicken and sometimes rice also.
I’m sure you make a practice of only consuming organic chicken but I suspect that arsenic Is still fed to them in order to accelerate their growth.
Because we weren’t absolutely sure at first, my husband and I have tested this “ theory” repeatedly and I encourage you to do the same. For us chicken breast seems to be the worst, causing severe throat constriction and hiccups, while chicken thigh pieces, especially in sauces, seems to be the least troublesome.

The throat spasms are extremely stressful and it’s hard to not freak out when you are in the middle of an episode. I think there is a stress component because once you throat constricts it’s hard to stay calm.

I just wanted to share this with because I know what a very distressing symptom it is and wanted to possibly offer a clue as to what is really happening.
Thanks. Interesting you brought this up. Although I don't typically get this with chicken, I did buy Costco organic chicken last week which I rarely do. Even though it's organic, it's not free range or pastured so that could very well be a contributing factor.

I went through around 20 years of getting things stuck in my esophagus like you are describing. Dense white chicken meat and raw crunchy carrots were usually impossible to get down. I would find myself in the bathroom yacking up the offending food at least 2-3 times a week. Horrible way to live.

I don't do that anymore. I have learned that thiamine deficiency will cause this problem. I now supplement with high dose thiamine hcl and I haven't had anything get stuck since starting this regimen around the first of the year. I can eat meat again!!

Here is a video about how thiamine deficiency can wreck your digestive tract, including your esophagus:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi0O_fzczYA

Thanks.. I should try upping my dose for a while.

Steve

I will get dry white chicken meat stuck and I'll be unable to swallow. Guess I'll look into the Thiamine video posted above.
Hiccups are absolutely horrible.........they make me sick as a dog for some reason.
Fortunately...or unfortunately I found a way to get rid of them. Drink a full shot glass of vinegar. It's absolutely disgusting, but it has worked over and over.
Last time I tried everything else to avoid the vinegar, but nothing would work. Finally I gave in and choked it down and they stopped immediately.

Nicole W.

Thanks. Interesting you brought this up. Although I don't typically get this with chicken, I did buy Costco organic chicken last week which I rarely do. Even though it's organic, it's not free range or pastured so that could very well be a contributing factor.
We typically buy Costco organic chicken too. And I was wondering to myself if it is specifically this chicken that gives me the spasms. Maybe there’s more arsenic in this chicken? I guess I’d have to experiment to figure that out, but generally we avoid chicken now because the spasms are so unpleasing.

Nicole W.

I have learned that thiamine deficiency will cause this problem.
Not to dispute the thiamine deficiency angle, but it seems like what a person is eating is also a factor. Of all the people who have responded so far, chicken (especially chicken breast) seems to be the common denominator. I don’t get these spasms eating anything other than poultry and sometimes, rice. I never get the spasms eating beef, or pork, both of which can be quite dry depending on how it‘s prepared. I’m pretty sure it’s the chicken, at least in my case.

Thanks!! I'll try that.
I love it when doctors give such simple and effective remedies.
The sugar water was a remedy I heard in high school for hiccups. I just added the salt for good measure. A doctor would not make it that easy and cheap ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals