"Fairlife" Milk. Anyone Drink This?

tyler

Have any of you guys tried out coca-cola's milk product?
Double the protein and calcium of regular milk. Also contains the lactase enzyme.
Per 8oz: 13g protein, 6g carbs, 370mg calcium. They supposably use some sort of filtration process to achieve the higher protein, and lower carbs. Not added milk powder, which i first assumed. I couldn't mind a full nutrient analysis online.

fairlife | Ultra-Filtered Milk | #BelieveInBetter

I had a cup of the skim today (I'm super reluctant to drink any with fat- I'm sure it's intensely homogenized and that doesn't sit well with me), and felt fine. It had a really thick texture for skimmed milk.

Anyone make this a staple of theirs? Or have any experiences, thoughts, etc?
Would be an easy way to get some additional protein and extra calcium, but I'm skeptical.

lvysaur

Haven't tried it, but it looks unnecessary to me.

I don't need extra calcium, and I want more lactose, if anything. If you want more protein, you could just eat some cottage cheese or something.

Stryker

i use an equivalent product company is called "the complete dairy"

it tastes so much better than normal milk and seems to digest more efficiently aswell..

also i can drink it cold by the litre and it still warms me up :P

tankasnowgod

Double the protein and calcium of regular milk. Also contains the lactase enzyme.
Per 8oz: 13g protein, 6g carbs, 370mg calcium. They supposably use some sort of filtration process to achieve the higher protein, and lower carbs. Not added milk powder, which i first assumed. I couldn't mind a full nutrient analysis online.

I had a cup of the skim today (I'm super reluctant to drink any with fat- I'm sure it's intensely homogenized and that doesn't sit well with me), and felt fine. It had a really thick texture for skimmed milk.

Would be an easy way to get some additional protein and extra calcium, but I'm skeptical.

I've heard of this, but haven't tried it. I do fine with organic milk. I did think to myself "Damn! Where was this stuff back in my Low Carb/Paleo days? I would have been all over it!"

I think if someone has lactose issues, it might be good, possibly even better than lactaid.

tankasnowgod

it tastes so much better than normal milk and seems to digest more efficiently aswell..

also i can drink it cold by the litre and it still warms me up :p

That's interesting. Does normal milk not have this effect on you?

chrismeyers

I doubt it. Lactase is on their ingredient list.
Lactase as an ingredient means its lactose free. They add the lactase enzyme and allow it to brew a little which breaks down all the lactose into glucose and galactose. Then they pasteurize it. If lactase is in the ingredients it is suitable for lactose intolerant people

OP
tyler

tyler

also i can drink it cold by the litre and it still warms me up :p
Ha seems to be a trend! I wonder if cocacola is also behind that company..
yeah I agree with the taste- it's the best skim milk I've ever tried.
The only concern I have would be that you'd have to add quite a bit of sugar to balance out the protein. Or drink it with other foods- because they take out most of the carbs. Otherwise this is probably the most affordable way to hit my protein and Ca : P goals.

Haven't tried it, but it looks unnecessary to me.

I don't need extra calcium, and I want more lactose, if anything. If you want more protein, you could just eat some cottage cheese or something.
Yes I hear ya with the lactose. I do wish they didn't reduce the carb content.
Cottage cheese is okay but I try to keep my food sources in favor of calcium over phosphorus, and there is more phosphorus in cottage cheese.

I've heard of this, but haven't tried it. I do fine with organic milk. I did think to myself "Damn! Where was this stuff back in my Low Carb/Paleo days? I would have been all over it!"

I think if someone has lactose issues, it might be good, possibly even better than lactaid.
Haha tell me about it. Yeah the person who gave me some can't handle any dairy and she does completely fine with this.

chrismeyers

It's not Organic so it's a 100% no go for me. Plus I believe the simpler and more natural the better. This is neither simple nor natural. They mix up various parts of milk into some ratio which it was never intended to be. Get Organic Valley lactose free.

lvysaur

If lactase is in the ingredients it is suitable for lactose intolerant people

Definitely, but I was disputing the claim that it would be better than lactaid. It's not so much "lactose free" as it is "lactase added". So if a person has problems even while using lactaid, they will likely have them with this product as well, since it's the same process of "lactose neutralization".

tankasnowgod

Definitely, but I was disputing the claim that it would be better than lactaid. It's not so much "lactose free" as it is "lactase added". So if a person has problems even while using lactaid, they will likely have them with this product as well, since it's the same process of "lactose neutralization".

My thinking was that if lactose is the problem, that not only would the lactase be beneficial (as in both Lactaid and Fairlife), but the fact that about half of the original lactose was removed would minimize risk further (making Fairlife even easier to digest).

Jsaute21

Tried this for the first time today. Its especially delicous, and i think the added protein is a bit of a godsend. Throw some sugar in it, some coffee and you have yourself a true meal. I love all milk, but i think this may become a staple. As usual good looking out @tyler.

BTW, sucks their chocolate milk doesn't have the same quality ingredients as their normal milk. Seems to be a common thread amongst milk companies.

Waffler

I started drinking the Fairlife skim milk about a month ago and loved the taste and the fact that you get 84.5 grams of protein in a 52 once bottle. One of the main reasons for drinking milk is the favorable calcium to phosphorus ratio but the nutritional label doesn't have phosphorus content. I emailed the company and this was there reply :

All our products have higher phosphorus content than regular milks due to their higher protein content. The major protein in milk called casein is also called a phosphoprotein due its higher levels of phosphorus. Phosphorus is an important structural component of casein protein. Fairlife milks have 50-60% more phosphorus than ordinary milk.

That would put the Ca : P ratio to 1:1 at best which isn't optimal.

I also asked about the potassium content :

fairlife ultra-filtered milk products do contain potassium. fairlife fat free milk has a potassium content of 360-400 mg per 8 ounce serving; fairlife 2% milk has 330-400 mg of potassium per 8 ounce serving and fairlife chocolate milk has 600-700 mg of potassium per 8 ounce serving. A cup (8 oz / 240 mL) of fairlife whole milk contains approximately 450 mg of potassium.

So around ( per container of skim )
Protein - 84.5g
Calcium - 2400mg
Phosphorus - 2400mg
Potassium - 2500mg

OP
tyler

tyler

I started drinking the Fairlife skim milk about a month ago and loved the taste and the fact that you get 84.5 grams of protein in a 52 once bottle. One of the main reasons for drinking milk is the favorable calcium to phosphorus ratio but the nutritional label doesn't have phosphorus content. I emailed the company and this was there reply :

All our products have higher phosphorus content than regular milks due to their higher protein content. The major protein in milk called casein is also called a phosphoprotein due its higher levels of phosphorus. Phosphorus is an important structural component of casein protein. Fairlife milks have 50-60% more phosphorus than ordinary milk.

That would put the Ca : P ratio to 1:1 at best which isn't optimal.

I also asked about the potassium content :

fairlife ultra-filtered milk products do contain potassium. fairlife fat free milk has a potassium content of 360-400 mg per 8 ounce serving; fairlife 2% milk has 330-400 mg of potassium per 8 ounce serving and fairlife chocolate milk has 600-700 mg of potassium per 8 ounce serving. A cup (8 oz / 240 mL) of fairlife whole milk contains approximately 450 mg of potassium.

So around ( per container of skim )
Protein - 84.5g
Calcium - 2400mg
Phosphorus - 2400mg
Potassium - 2500mg
Awesome to have that info- thank you for sharing.

T

tca300

Weird. I asked them about nutritional content etc here was their response.

" You may be interested to know that we recently updated our labels to reflect the vitamins and minerals that are still included from the milk in our products. In particular our labels now reflect that fairlife skim, 2% reduced fat, and whole milk all contain 6% of the recommended percent daily value of magnesium, 11% for potassium, 25% for phosphorous, 20% for riboflavin, 45% for vitamin B12, and 10% for zinc per 1 cup (240 ml) serving. Our fairlife chocolate milk has 8% for magenesium, 16% for potassium, 30% for phosphorous, 20% for riboflavin, 45% for vitamin B12, and 10% for zinc per 1 cup (240 ml) serving.

In my research 1 cup of regular skim milk has ~35% DV phosphorous. So initially I thought it would have an ever better ratio of calcium to phosphorous than regular milk. After the response above they gave to @Waffler , I have doubts about what its actual composition is. Dang.

mjrm

I've had this...i remember noting that it had additives such as carrageenan in it?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals