Food for a baby/toddler

marsaday

Has anyone any experience of applying the peat diet principals to a one year old ?

We are obviously thinking a lot about her diet at this age because she is now starting to eat solid foods. We do not give her a lot of sugary foods and we add zero salt as it has been mentioned you shouldn't salt a babys / toddlers food.

However, she is starting to be a little more fussy on the solid foods, rather than the puree's. This has got me thinking.

Should we be salting her food as we would our own ?

Has anyone done anything peaty with their young kids (around one y/o) and found some benefits ?

dd99

Yes! My son was Peaty from about 12 months. (He was pretty Peaty before that, too, but also had salmon and not as much milk or fruit, mainly because he was still breast feeding so getting the good stuff.)

We feed him:
Goats milk with every meal or snack
Fruit with every meal (melon, papaya, steamed apples, grapes, anything juicy and ripe). He loves citrus, but it gives him a raw bottom, so he gets orange juice, which is fine.
Eggs
Homemade jelly
Cheese (pecorino, parmesan)
Occasional Greek yogurt
Chicken liver - his favourite!
Scallops - his second favourite!
Oyster soup
Steak (rare, otherwise he won't eat it) - beef, lamb or venison

He loves his very well cooked broccoli, boiled or roasted potatoes, raw carrot (the only veggie he gets raw) and roasted tomatoes, peppers and courgette, etc. Basically, every veggie is very well cooked - and they are always served with butter or coconut oil and salt.

I started very very slowly with salt from around 12 months. Just the tiniest pinch - nowhere near as much as for us adults. Now that he's two, he gets more, but still not as much as me.

Basically, that's it. Milk, fruit, good meats or fish, and well cooked veggies.

tara

I was not aware of Peat when mine were toddlers, and I had different ideas of what was healthy then.

My youngest, if he got his way, tended to eat a lot of fruit, fresh and dried, and also preferred his meat rare - he was known to pinch pieces of raw steak off the cutting board while I was chopping it for stir fries etc, and they would both grab hunks of butter if I didn't get in the way.

I deliberately avoided salting anything I prepared for the family for several years, and now the older one likes to add quite a bit of salt, and the younger hardly any. They would get some salt from foods prepared by others, and from bread, butter, cheese. I'd probably do the same again on the salt - not add any when it was avoidable, but let them have it when they wanted it. If I were doing it again, they would probably get much less bread and other grains, and more fruit.

Amazoniac

dd99 said:
Yes! My son was Peaty from about 12 months. (He was pretty Peaty before that, too, but also had salmon and not as much milk or fruit, mainly because he was still breast feeding so getting the good stuff.)

We feed him:
Goats milk with every meal or snack
Fruit with every meal (melon, papaya, steamed apples, grapes, anything juicy and ripe). He loves citrus, but it gives him a raw bottom, so he gets orange juice, which is fine.
Eggs
Homemade jelly
Cheese (pecorino, parmesan)
Occasional Greek yogurt
Chicken liver - his favourite!
Scallops - his second favourite!
Oyster soup
Steak (rare, otherwise he won't eat it) - beef, lamb or venison

He loves his very well cooked broccoli, boiled or roasted potatoes, raw carrot (the only veggie he gets raw) and roasted tomatoes, peppers and courgette, etc. Basically, every veggie is very well cooked - and they are always served with butter or coconut oil and salt.

I started very very slowly with salt from around 12 months. Just the tiniest pinch - nowhere near as much as for us adults. Now that he's two, he gets more, but still not as much as me.

Basically, that's it. Milk, fruit, good meats or fish, and well cooked veggies.

This was imposed or he had choice? Because if he choose those in free will, it is a great indicator of how our senses become messed up by what we are teached. Haha!

By the way, excellent!

dd99

Amazoniac, I'm a firm believer that his body knows what it should be eating, so we've been guided by that. It's amazing that instinctively his favourite foods are milk, fruit, liver, scallops and very well cooked veggies (particularly steamed broccoli, boiled potatoes and roasted peppers, all with butter or CO and salt). He sometimes craves salty cheeses and likes eggs, but wouldn't run across the room for them.

dd99

Oh, forgot to mention, when he goes to nursery (two days a week), where they offer him the usual government approved food, they often say at pick-up that he refuses to eat bread and pasta but asks for more fruit, cheese, veggies and milk!

He does occasionally get a bit of sourdough bread at home, but he isn't a fan.

dd99

Amazoniac said:
[
This was imposed or he had choice? Because if he choose those in free will, it is a great indicator of how our senses become messed up by what we are teached. Haha!

By the way, excellent!
Just an update, when my two year old has spent a day in the sun and presumably loaded up on vitamin D, he comes home and asks me for 'patty', the homemade chicken liver pate I make each week. He sits on the floor and eats it with a spoon out of the jar. I think his body instinctively knows it needs to balance the vitamin D with A. Amazing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals