Funny advice From my Doctor Regarding Low HDL

kimbriel

So - I asked my new Primary Care doctor today how I could possibly raise my HDL, because it's dangerously low, especially according to the principles of Dr. Ray Peat. He said to take fish oil and other Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids. Lol

Guess what I'm not gonna do?

But seriously, does anyone have any advice for raising my HDL? I exercise an hour a day, every day, so it's not low from lack of exercise. I have no idea why it's so low, and I also had fatty liver at one point, so the only thing I can think is maybe the cholesterol is getting trapped in my liver and not going into my blood.

Help?

cremes

Regular niacin, the flush kind, is well documented as one of the primary ways to raise HDL. Honestly I can’t recall a food that reliably raises it. If you don’t supplement then I have no advice.

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

Regular niacin, the flush kind, is well documented as one of the primary ways to raise HDL. Honestly I can’t recall a food that reliably raises it. If you don’t supplement then I have no advice.
Thank you. I don't have any niacin. I'll look into getting some.

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

Is it really that low? If your total cholesterol is low, the HDL will also be low. I wouldn't worry about it if it was me. This thread is listed as a "Similar Thread" on this page: Good (HDL) Cholesterol Is Not So Good After All
My total cholesterol is 138... Ray Peat had said that cholesterol should be at least 160... better 200. My HDL is 38. I have never been able to raise it to 50.

sunny

Eat oranges and orange juice to raise chesterol.
Click link, type in "raise cholesterol ".

You will get several quotes Ike the following:

kmud-140117-questions-and-answers

00:28:27

That's just for experiments, but you can increase your cholesterol by optimizing your nutrition. Orange juice is a very practical way to increase your cholesterol, which many people are surprised at. There were experiments in which people, medical students, ate as many as 20 eggs a day or egg yolks and couldn't raise their cholesterol. But if you have low cholesterol, some sugars such as orange juice will usually bring it up to normal. Wow.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
My total cholesterol is 138... Ray Peat had said that cholesterol should be at least 160... better 200. My HDL is 38. I have never been able to raise it to 50.
138 is low. But the HDL at 38 is reasonable in that case. My HDL was 39 for years when the total was 180 or so. Perhaps eating an egg each day would help you raise your total and therefore the HDL, too. I don’t think you will ever get to 50 unless your total is over 200.

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

Eat oranges and orange juice to raise chesterol.
Click link, type in "raise cholesterol ".

You will get several quotes Ike the following:

kmud-140117-questions-and-answers

00:28:27

That's just for experiments, but you can increase your cholesterol by optimizing your nutrition. Orange juice is a very practical way to increase your cholesterol, which many people are surprised at. There were experiments in which people, medical students, ate as many as 20 eggs a day or egg yolks and couldn't raise their cholesterol. But if you have low cholesterol, some sugars such as orange juice will usually bring it up to normal. Wow.
Thanks! I've heard that about OJ too. Do I have to juice my own? I know pulp isn't good, so I'd strain that.

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

138 is low. But the HDL at 38 is reasonable in that case. My HDL was 39 for years when the total was 180 or so. Perhaps eating an egg each day would help you raise your total and therefore the HDL, too. I don’t think you will ever get to 50 unless your total is over 200.
Thank you! That makes me feel better. I did see my total over 200 once, I think my HDL was 46 then. That was when I tried OMAD with low carb, and I was drinking black coffee, which made my triglycerides go through the roof. That was before I found Peat of course.

LucH

Hi,
Not a good idea to eat one egg every day: Rather 2 eggs every 3 days. Because allergy problems possible (fréquency). Not forget to have bone broth (or glycine / collagen) to moderate leucine. When leucine is higher than 2.5, you make muscles and that is pro-cancer if too frequent. Question of balance.
Hope it'll help.
Note: egg from free-range chickens (w3 / W6 balance).
I won't take toco every day but 3 days a week if 400 UI. Too much of a good thing is bad. Or 50 UI every day is best if 2 tocopherols at least (alpha and gamma).
Need some beta-carotens from fruits or vegetables (carrots) too, with coco oil (or fats from food) to assimilate them if you want to balance HDL and LDL. Membrane protection.

Beatrix_

Coconut oil can raise both LDL and HDL. The only way I can envisage OJ raising total cholesterol is by raising triglycerides.

Peatress

Are you still taking T3 @kimbriel ? That will lower you cholesterol even more.

@Beatrix_ it's very unlikely that OJ will raise triglycerides

Beatrix_

Thanks for the link, awesome study! I still have some remaining effects from low carb brainwashing...

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

Yes, I still take T3 (basically a full replacement dose of what my thyroid would normally be expected to produce during the day) but my cholesterol is pretty much the same (not any lower) as it was before I was on any medication or even right before I was dx'ed Hashimoto's.

I found haidut's articles about so-called good and bad cholesterol really interesting. I'm so confused. I just know according to Dr. Peat my cholesterol is dangerously low.

Peatress

Yes, I still take T3 (basically a full replacement dose of what my thyroid would normally be expected to produce during the day) but my cholesterol is pretty much the same (not any lower) as it was before I was on any medication or even right before I was dx'ed Hashimoto's.

I found haidut's articles about so-called good and bad cholesterol really interesting. I'm so confused. I just know according to Dr. Peat my cholesterol is dangerously low.
Another approach would be to increase your choline (eggs, liver) intake - that should help the liver export cholesterol

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

Another approach would be to increase your choline (eggs, liver) intake - that should help the liver export cholesterol

Thank you! I have supplemental choline too (I hadn't been taking it). I can't stomach eating liver (I know, I know), so I have grassfed liver capsules (which I also hadn't been taking). I ordered some grassfed liver sausage jerky from nose-to-tail.org so I'm hoping to gnosh on those when they come.

I am still going to try the liver flush this weekend... it worked wonders for some people I know. I do consider the olive oil portion of the flush to be pretty anti-Peaty (10% PUFA, ick).

Peatress

Thank you! I have supplemental choline too (I hadn't been taking it). I can't stomach eating liver (I know, I know), so I have grassfed liver capsules (which I also hadn't been taking). I ordered some grassfed liver sausage jerky from nose-to-tail.org so I'm hoping to gnosh on those when they come.

I am still going to try the liver flush this weekend... it worked wonders for some people I know. I do consider the olive oil portion of the flush to be pretty anti-Peaty (10% PUFA, ick).
I don't eat liver anymore - I find it tanks my temperature.

Out of interest what was your cholesterol before your weight loss?

HumanLife

What’s your protein intake? Protein aids the liver in cleaning itself. Raw carrot with coconut oil helps clean the intestine which leads to cleaner organs. Raw garlic has an antibiotic called allicin which can remove bacteria. Take on an empty stomach with apple cider vinegar. A clean and healthy gut helps with hormone production which aids all organs, including the liver.

Have you taken analgesics like paracetamol frequently before? They have caused people to go to the hospital from the overdosing by causing liver damage. High estrogen from a weaker liver not clearing it because of the damage at a younger age from analgesics causes pubertal hormonal problems for growing teenagers.

Liver tastes odd but the fresher it is, the better. Eat it the day you buy it or tomorrow morning - if it looks a bit green and very dark brown instead of dark red it is actually a few days old. The inside should be a redish pink. Cook with medium heat on a medium sized hob first with tasty and salted yellow butter (2 tablespoons), spring leek, onion and garlic clove. Then put around 100g of liver on the pan when you see that the vegetables have caramelized. Add a bit of butter (5-15g) on the liver, put a glass lid on the pan, turn the heat off, and let the liver cook with the remaining heat and steam. This should cook the liver without overcooking it while still seasoning it and removing its bitter taste. You can add a teaspoon of lemon juice on the liver when you put it on the pan before adding butter the second time for the sugary taste. I just add a tasty ketchup from a glass container and it tastes like regular meat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals