Genetically having high cholesterol

OP
F

Fay

Yeah, it's pretty high at over 5 unfortunately. Higher ratio means smaller LDL particle size which is harmful.
View attachment 58186
Thanks. So I guess I should take statin but don’t know which one has the lowest side affects. I have been reading that using coq10 would help.

OP
F

Fay

Yeah, it's pretty high at over 5 unfortunately. Higher ratio means smaller LDL particle size which is harmful.
View attachment 58186
I just read: Health experts designate the following triglyceride HDL ratios as follows: ideal: 2.0 or less. good: 4.0 to 6.0. bad: over 6.0 or above.
Where do you get your data?

TheSir

I just read: Health experts designate the following triglyceride HDL ratios as follows: ideal: 2.0 or less. good: 4.0 to 6.0. bad: over 6.0 or above.
Where do you get your data?
The exact cutoffs are somewhat subjective. If going above 1-2 starts to gradually increase mortality statistics, at what exact point does this increase go from 'good' to 'bad'? Technically any increase is bad, is it not so?

The main takeaway is that higher is worse and >5 is not low. My mother, for example, is close to your total cholesterol & age with a 0.7 tg/hdl ratio, so yours is 7x higher.

Caro

The fact that no one here is looking into the mortality rate for people with genetic high cholesterol tells me you are contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.
There are some stats around for life expectancy, not encouraging ... I did look at all-cause-mortality studies, which seemed to have parallels with general cholesterol studies, eg better protection against cancer, infectious diseases and (of course) worse for CVD, compared with control groups.

OP: A few discussions on the forum worth looking at, see
and a study related to the second link: Theabrownin from Pu-erh tea attenuates hypercholesterolemia via modulation of gut microbiota and bile acid metabolism - Nature Communications
which could pose potential alternatives to mainstream treatment.

I have high cholesterol, which may or may not be genetic (eg it could be due to hypothyroidism), but my father had high cholesterol and I saw his progress on medication--I'd rather not go through that. Personally, I think high cholesterol is beneficial, however I would like to avoid CVD and am currently looking into strategies.

@Caro What if a high blood value of total cholesterol but low triglycerides was just a reflection of stagnant bile? or in any case something that starts from the liver but without having arteriosclerosis.

@Fay You are the same age and she also has osteoporosis. Estrogen level in the blood practically absent (but in the tissues?). Let's say that it is very difficult to have a dialogue and to listen to me but D3 and K2 now we don't know if they are helping or worsening the situation...

Caro

@Caro What if a high blood value of total cholesterol but low triglycerides was just a reflection of stagnant bile? or in any case something that starts from the liver but without having arteriosclerosis.
I just saw the discussion on bile recently, so will have to look into the interaction of bile and the liver with cholesterol, and also look into whether pu-erh tea is good for atherosclerosis.

Edit: at a glance, pu-erh tea does appear to be effective against atherosclerosis, at least in mice studies.
"Pu-erh tea is considered effective in regulating blood lipids and preventing atherosclerosis. Our research showed that in ApoE null mice, pu-erh tea impeded the progress of atherosclerosis by promoting the apoptosis of macrophages in the atherosclerotic plaque." Pu-erh Tea Ameliorates Atherosclerosis Associated with Promoting Macrophage Apoptosis by Reducing NF-κB Activation in ApoE Knockout Mice, Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2018; 2018: 3197829,Published online 2018 Aug 23. doi: 10.1155/2018/3197829

I noticed several more studies I can look at later.

Last edited:
@TheSir

According to this graph my mother would be under one even so no risk. Total 300, triglycerides 70, HDL 86, LDL 198.

TheSir

@TheSir

According to this graph my mother would be under one even so no risk. Total 300, triglycerides 70, HDL 86, LDL 198.
Ray Peat: 《A study of old women indicated that a cholesterol level of 270 mg. per 100 ml. was associated with the best longevity (Forette, et al., 1989). "Mortality was lowest at serum cholesterol 7.0 mmol/l [=270.6 mg%], 5.2 times higher than the minimum at serum cholesterol 4.0 mmol/l, and only 1.8 times higher when cholesterol concentration was 8.8 mmol/l. This relation held true irrespective of age, even when blood pressure, body weight, history of myocardial infarction, creatinine clearance, and plasma proteins were taken into account."》

AlaskaJono

@Fay Check out this from another old thread.

@HDD

"Barnes experimented on rabbits, and found that when their thyroid glands were removed, they developed atherosclerosis, just as hypothyroid people did. By the mid-1930s, it was generally known that hypothyroidism causes the cholesterol level in the blood to increase; hypercholesterolemia was a diagnostic sign of hypothyroidism. Administering a thyroid supplement, blood cholesterol came down to normal exactly as the basal metabolic rate came up to the normal rate. The biology of atherosclerotic heart disease was basically solved before the second world war."
Thyroid: Therapies, Confusion, and Fraud

bold mine

I have high cholesterol, borderline high blood pressure, and hypothyroidism. I have been following diet for over a year and started thyroid a few months ago. I plan to check my cholesterol when I have been on thyroid for 6 months. I will post the results then. My cholesterol before starting thyroid was 296.
==========================
Another quick search:

Parkinson's Link To Statins: Calls To End Widespread Use Of The Drug

No surprise at all. It's been known for several years that the enzyme statins inhibit in making cholesterol, (HMA CoA) reductase, is also used to make CoQ10 in the mitochondria. Taking statins is poisoning one's metabolism, it's insane. Coenzyme Q10 and Statin-Induced Mitochondrial Dysfunction
The Above last BOLDED is my Bold. Numbers are relatively meaningless as has been stated on this thread. Your overall metabolism health? Cellular metabolism? Etc. . Maybe adjusting T3 T4 timings/dosage etc.. . Or try Lugols' Iodine.

BTW I had a few clients with high numbers, and one man said his was as high as 900, but now down. I did not believe him, so he produced paperwork the next week for me. Yes, his total Chol was 900 2 years before. He got it down to 350, and was on the trampoline 2 sessions a day for 45 min each time. I supported his 'not worrying' anymore about the high cholesterol, and he was 70 years old (+ or -) as I remember.

Cow

I am 58 y/o female. My cholesterol went up from 200 to 340ish in a year of Peating. I am not too concerned, but it is unnerving when the doctor expresses grave concern! They wanted to statin me, but I said no way. I am trying thyroid meds (I have 3.5 TSH) but I feel much better/happier when I do not take thyroid meds. Thus far I can only LICK a 25mcg T3 a couple times a day and do not tolerate Amour anymore. I also quit eating Haagen Daz Vanilla every night, and I'm not putting as much cream in my coffee. These things brought my cholesterol down 35 points in 3 months to what you see below. I know if it doesn't come down more, though, they will keep pushing me.

1700098003217.png

1700098075801.png

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals