Girlfriend wants scientific evidence for why rapeseed oil is bad for our baby

Perry Staltic

Canola oil contains erucic acid up to 2% by volume. It caused heart damage in animal studies. That's why it's genetically modified rapeseed, which has higher levels. Ask her what the point is of exposing a newborn to that when healthier alternatives are available.

AlaskaJono

Also the rapeseed now is primarily from GMO plants. So there is that aspect. I just found this site online: https://thebulletin.ca/organic-canola-is-still-genetically-modified-gmo-rapeseed/ .

I stopped using (some combo) of Canola Oil and Olive Oil and Butter for cooking until 2007 or so. Then stopped the Canola oil upon complete dietary review and research which I do on average every 5 years. And added Coconut oil, filtered (non smelly) for cooking. Bad oils probably have the most destructive effects on health imo.

(Also I stopped any GMO (wheat soy etc.) at home anyway. I don't trust it.)

Yonebayashian

I'm really sorry about the situation you're in man. I dated some really rigidly brainwashed women in the past and it was hard enough without kids in the picture. Its kind of impossible to avoid people like this these days, and its not like they're no longer human. Don't belittle her even in your thoughts, approach the topics from a place of love and concern (for her and the baby) and it will help more than facts and logic to break through.

dukesbobby777

Cmon man are you a man ? My girlfriend listens to everything i decide,even If it's stupid,she just believes me and no she' s not insecure or something. That's how it works ,that's how my mom and dad behaved also. What are you facing is a very estrogenic woman (sorry,don't get offended).

Your girlfriend sort of sounds like a pushover. Somebody who is easily controlled and manipulated. He’s already said that his girlfriend is a doctor. So he isn’t dealing with a normal situation here where the women just believes everything you say (authoritarian). He’s dealing with a women’s bond with her own baby (nothing is stronger than that), and also a doctor (who all think they are experts at anything health related). So he’s up against it.

Lilac

The general idea of "Don't eat anything your grandparents didn't eat" might sink in with some people. How can industrially manufactured foods be better than traditional fare? Good luck!

Yonebayashian

The general idea of "Don't eat anything your grandparents didn't eat" might sink in with some people. How can industrially manufactured foods be better than traditional fare? Good luck!

Most people have a disdain and disgust for tradition dismissing it as village simplicity. This kind of mass arrogance mutated yesterday into communism and today into this COVID hysteria.

bk_

guys ive posted several times about my complicated relationship, made even more complicated now we have a baby (yes i know its my fault). i appreciate all your support with my various issues.

today she announced she would be using fluoride toothpaste on our 6 month old babys 2 emerging teeth (i want to scream)

secondly, she wants to use rapeseed oil in the boiled and blended vegetables that shes feeding him (i would prefer if he had fruit not vegetables)...........i asked her to use butter but she is refusing and saying rapeseed oil is very very healthy, and butter is not ok for babies.

guys, i know its my fault, ive had a baby with someone with polar oppposite ideologies (she is a trained doctor- i.e. severe indoctrination )

im organising some studies and papers to show her about the dangers of rapeseed oil and PUFA in general, if anyone has anything to help me present, please do post.

many thanks,
Trained doctors = indoctrinated.

Invite an actual scientist to argue with her. You could also give her ray peat articles, since your on a ray peat forum:

Also, assuming she has even the most rudimentary understanding of basic organic chemistry, show her the difference between alkanes and alkenes (which have double-bonds making them far less stable more reactive), it should turn on a light-bulb in regards to the reactivity and polymerization of PUFAs:

L

Lord Cola

Is it not popular belief that any oil except fish oil is "sorta bad"?

What would be a reason to put rapeseed oil in baby food? Does the baby appear to enjoy the vegetable + rapeseed oil mixture? If not, wouldn't it be sensible to try to feed the baby what he enjoys while using relatively healthy ingredients?

Children find it very stressful to be forced to eat things they don't like.

dudu

I don't think there's a way to logic yourself out of this. The medical establishment is her daddy. You gotta change that before you can change her mind

mrchibbs

I wish you the best man, it looks like this relationship is not so easy! Keep your head up and just keep trying!

There is a powerful chapter about this from Ray in PMS to Menopause, I'd have her read that.

It sounds so obvious to us that no baby should be receiving waste product oils but clearly not to her.

Try to use questioning and logic and not confrontation. Ask her why she believes butter is ''not ok'' for babies but rapeseed oil is great somehow? Then go from there.

There are a ton of papers on the impact of fluoride on thyroid function on pubmed. If she is a doctor she will have to acquiese. I'd copy and paste several abstracts and have her read those.

Herbie

What about using Sally Fallon’s book Nourishing traditions? At least it’s coming from a women, marketed towards women.

haidut

Forum Supporter
saying rapeseed oil is very very healthy, and butter is not ok for babies.

Lol, is she serious with the second part about butter??!
How about this. You tell her you would show her evidence for how bad rapeseed (high PUFA) oil is when she shows you just one study showing butter is bad for babies. Anyways, if you look through the "PUFA" tag on the forum you will find tons of studies to show her...but to be honest, I very much doubt it will change her mind.

OccamzRazer

I wish you the best man, it looks like this relationship is not so easy! Keep your head up and just keep trying!
But what happens after a person has kept trying for months...for years...for decades?

It's not worth it. Hope deferred makes the heart grow sick.

To have two people suffer from their ignorance is better than to have three suffer from it.

Rasaari

but to be honest, I very much doubt it will change her mind.
But at the same time other than not getting vaxxed its the most important thing to fight about. There's plenty of evidence of pufa being a poison, and especially important to have a saturated baby. The baby will gravitate towards good foods (milk, juice etc.) but what they won't do is ask mommy to not cook with pufa.

PeskyPeater

I think it's good to be scientific and clear to her by making sound arguments against her dogma's to make them obsolete, from the perspective of the importance of your family's health.
You have to begin to make her see, like it was for you at the start of your journey into Dr Peat, that made you have higher realization. Use Peats articles.

These are the ideas that plant oils are essential which is incorrect, for a study has shown in the 60's that symptoms of deficiency of them was cured with Vitamin B or was it B6? Im not clear about the details , anyhow..
The bio-industry has been using PUFA to lower thyroid function in animals to fatten them up, while coconut oil kept them slim.
Industry was using plant oils that were used as lamp fuel, and have put out propaganda about it being a good food so they could sell more for profit.
Pufa unlike saturated fats are released from storage and inhibit thyroid functions, while saturated fats protect against this and help prevent randle cycle inhibition of using sugars as fuel.

what else..

I

i_nomad

In my marriage we approach things jointly… when it comes to joint decisions like parenting, at least.

We don’t move forward unless both are in agreement… and both change the switch to ‘on’, so to speak. It needs to be a deliberate moment of approval from both.

Diet… vaxx… nothing happens unless we both switch up (this doesn’t always mean agreeing fully).

Not only is this a must for health and happiness… it’s the definition, both traditionally and legally, of co-parenting a child.

Sit her down and have a conversation where you insist (kindly, but firmly) that this is how things will happen moving forward. Each person will be required to either choose to not engage and just switch the switch (pick your battles)… or present their side with their own thoughts, hopefully backed with facts.

IF… big IF… this commonality cannot be reached: get a lawyer. Your kid matters more. Far better to split with her and then establish legal protection through the court system than to have it get much worse because of a volatile relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrchibbs

But what happens after a person has kept trying for months...for years...for decades?

It's not worth it. Hope deferred makes the heart grow sick.

To have two people suffer from their ignorance is better than to have three suffer from it.

I would agree with you if there was no child involved.

AlaskaJono

Trained doctors = indoctrinated.

Invite an actual scientist to argue with her. You could also give her ray peat articles, since your on a ray peat forum:

Also, assuming she has even the most rudimentary understanding of basic organic chemistry, show her the difference between alkanes and alkenes (which have double-bonds making them far less stable more reactive), it should turn on a light-bulb in regards to the reactivity and polymerization of PUFAs:

Absolutely great approach: Get her the info directly from Raypeat.com. I would ask her to please read and understand particular articles, even if she disagrees with the biochemical pathways and specifics. This appeal to her 'scientific mind' and ability to discuss it would be an opening. Forcing someone to change doesn't work. Like if she sneaks in Canola oil into your food, you would get the heck outta there, right?! Good luck.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals