Glass Noodles - a lesser known safe starch

Borz

Forum Supporter
I don't think many people know about these noodles. The first time I tried it was in a Korean BBQ place, and it's the best noodles I've ever had, amazing taste and texture. These are only made from sweet potato starch, so they don't have the oxalates or beta-carotene of sweet potatoes, just pure starch.

Amazon product ASIN B083THKYH4View: https://www.amazon.com/Chung-Jung-One-Potato-Noodle/dp/B083THKYH4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2O2QV5TDEZCSN&keywords=glass+noodles&qid=1676867354&sprefix=glass+noodle%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-4

I don't think many people know about these noodles. The first time I tried it was in a Korean BBQ place, and it's the best noodles I've ever had, amazing taste and texture. These are only made from sweet potato starch, so they don't have the oxalates or beta-carotene of sweet potatoes, just pure starch.

Amazon product ASIN B083THKYH4View: https://www.amazon.com/Chung-Jung-One-Potato-Noodle/dp/B083THKYH4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2O2QV5TDEZCSN&keywords=glass+noodles&qid=1676867354&sprefix=glass+noodle%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-4
Why do you say they are a safer starch, compared to rice noodles let say?

I love glass noodles, and enjoy them especially in “Pad Woon Sen”. I found a similarly interesting noodle made with hearts of palm, no starch, 4 carbs and only 20 calories! I haven’t tried them yet.

Attachments

• A283599F-136A-43ED-8EAD-F62D16F125E8.jpeg
    A283599F-136A-43ED-8EAD-F62D16F125E8.jpeg
    482.1 KB · Views: 25
  • C61D88EB-D30A-49C0-BEF5-BD32391A8BFC.jpeg
    C61D88EB-D30A-49C0-BEF5-BD32391A8BFC.jpeg
    602.1 KB · Views: 27
OP
Borz

Borz

Forum Supporter
Why do you say they are a safer starch, compared to rice noodles let say?

I love glass noodles, and enjoy them especially in “Pad Woon Sen”. I found a similarly interesting noodle made with hearts of palm, no starch, 4 carbs and only 20 calories! I haven’t tried them yet.
I didn't say these are safer than white rice noodles, just another safe starch. Some people can't tolerate white rice, but may tolerate these, so it's another option to try.

I didn't say these are safer than white rice noodles, just another safe starch. Some people can't tolerate white rice, but may tolerate these, so it's another option to try.
I do love the glass noodles. I have only had ones made with mung beans. Have you made these at home?…

“Glass noodles are lower in calories and GI.

This is because they can absorb a lot more water than rice and wheat noodles; so a plate of cooked glass noodles actually contains less carbs because there's more water in it. They are also lower in glycemic index than rice or wheat noodles.”

OP
Borz

Borz

Forum Supporter
I do love the glass noodles. I have only had ones made with mung beans. Have you made these at home?…

“Glass noodles are lower in calories and GI.

This is because they can absorb a lot more water than rice and wheat noodles; so a plate of cooked glass noodles actually contains less carbs because there's more water in it. They are also lower in glycemic index than rice or wheat noodles.”

Yes I make them at home. Make sure to rinse with cold water after cooking, then add oil, salt, and some tamari.

Hiep

I had been looking for a gluten-free low oxalate noodle and have also settled on sweet potato starch noodle. Growing up, I used to eat a lot of rice vermicelli and pho but they're not as tasty as this japchae noodle.

I buy it from my local Asian supermarket and it's rather inexpensive. e.g. ~$7CAD for 1 kg (2.2 lb)

What confuses me is some brands say "No Alum/Pas Alun." The brand sounds Japanese, the product is made in China but I think the text is Hangul (Korean). Can someone translate?

Is there aluminum in sweet potato starch or the extraction process? I doubt it.

Or is this company taking a page out of Bob's Red Mill old marketing playbook. i.e. Until being called out for it, Bob's Red Mill used to market their Premium Baking Soda as being aluminum free, thus implying other brands of baking soda (like Arm & Hammer) contained aluminum - which is false. What is true is that some brands of baking powder (NOT baking soda) contain aluminum.

Attachments

• shodoshima-sweet-potato-noodle.jpg
    shodoshima-sweet-potato-noodle.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 11

lvysaur

What's your experience with buckwheat noodles / soba noodles?
@czgr
I can't stand soba noodles, but I love the cellophane/mung bean/rice ones. And no I've never gotten bad symptoms from eating mung bean noodles, I think it might have the fiber taken out somehow.

pondering

I had the japchae noodles recently from a Korean place and was wondering about the beta carotene. Good to know they are also low oxalate. I do wonder though of there’s any chance of residual beta carotene? I have one of those bodies that still gets affects even when something is not supposed to have a given element (e.g. decaf coffee, delglycrrhizinated licorice, etc). They are delicious though and I’d be happy to eat them often

I had the japchae noodles recently from a Korean place and was wondering about the beta carotene. Good to know they are also low oxalate. I do wonder though of there’s any chance of residual beta carotene? I have one of those bodies that still gets affects even when something is not supposed to have a given element (e.g. decaf coffee, delglycrrhizinated licorice, etc). They are delicious though and I’d be happy to eat them often
If I were to take a guess I would say the clear color of the noodle would indicate there would be no beta carotene left in the noodle, but I could be wrong.

pondering

I found a similarly interesting noodle made with hearts of palm, no starch, 4 carbs and only 20 calories! I haven’t tried them yet.
I’ve had the hearts of palm pasta quite a lot. I eat them for the calcium. Tasty with salt and toppings or sauce. Texture may take a little getting used too though in the beginning. Not quite as firm as most noodles. I like them, but I find them not so filling, but that could be due to my reactive hypoglycemia issues.

“Depending on its concentration, the colour of the pigment can range from yellow to orange. The name beta carotene itself comes from the word carrot and denotes the rich hues of carrots.

Natural beta carotene has a crystal clear yellow colour due to its unique formulation with a carefully selected group of ingredients followed by a high-pressure homogenisation to improve transparency.”

I’ve had the hearts of palm pasta quite a lot. I eat them for the calcium. Tasty with salt and toppings or sauce. Texture may take a little getting used too though in the beginning. Not quite as firm as most noodles. I like them, but I find them not so filling, but that could be due to my reactive hypoglycemia issues.
I will have to work with mine and see if they are worth it. Enjoying my food matters too much to have to eat something that leaves me feeling “let down”. I will report back on these hearts of palm noodles, and go get some of the sweet potato ones.

pondering

If I were to take a guess I would say the clear color of the noodle would indicate there would be no beta carotene left in the noodle, but I could be wrong.
You are a wealth of knowledge, appreciate it! Thanks for this and the beta carotene link above, interesting info.

You are a wealth of knowledge, appreciate it! Thanks for this and the beta carotene link above, interesting info.

I went looking for the sweet potato glass noodles and couldn’t find the dry ones, but I did find some prepared ones in the freezer section of Trader Joe’s. I defrosted them and then quick fried them in refined coconut oil to offset the PUFA in them, and scrambled in two eggs as well, and they were delicious! I ate the whole batch all by myself. Interestingly for all the starch that was in them I was hungry again within a couple of hours, and I rarely get hungry like that with the things I usually eat.

Attachments

• DFBD86A3-6EF3-4817-886C-0B5E5968447C.jpeg
    DFBD86A3-6EF3-4817-886C-0B5E5968447C.jpeg
    499 KB · Views: 22
  • 78BD3062-9999-41D9-AAA6-B25FFA2146F8.jpeg
    78BD3062-9999-41D9-AAA6-B25FFA2146F8.jpeg
    654.9 KB · Views: 21

pondering

I went looking for the sweet potato glass noodles and couldn’t find the dry ones, but I did find some prepared ones in the freezer section of Trader Joe’s. I defrosted them and then quick fried them in refined coconut oil to offset the PUFA in them, and scrambled in two eggs as well, and they were delicious! I ate the whole batch all by myself. Interestingly for all the starch that was in them I was hungry again within a couple of hours, and I rarely get hungry like that with the things I usually eat.
Glad you enjoyed! You can likely find the dry ones at a Korean grocery store if there’s one near you. Amazon has them too.

How does the refrying offset the PUFA? Is it that as long as some saturated fat is present, it balances the unsaturated fat?

Glad you enjoyed! You can likely find the dry ones at a Korean grocery store if there’s one near you. Amazon has them too.

How does the refrying offset the PUFA? Is it that as long as some saturated fat is present, it balances the unsaturated fat?
Yes saturated fats, like the coconut oil and the corn and soy free eggs I added, displaces the polyunsaturated fats. I took a little aspirin powder too afterwards, for a little extra protection.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom