Grey Hair reversal Product: Tyrosine Main Ingredient

Soren

Forum Supporter
A grey hair reversal that is being touted by Bryan Johnson (the tech guy who wants to live forever) has as their main active ingredient tyrosine.

I have recently started supplementing tyrosine daily in a relatively small dose and I have definitely found I tan a lot easier. I think I might increase the dose to see if it improves my hair, I am in my 30s and have a few greys on my scalp but not many.

I am curious to try this product although I think it a bit over priced. The real question is does topical tyrosine have a greater effect than oral and what would be a good dose orally to reverse grey hairs.

I am going to start with 3 grams a day. I think it is important to take Phenylalanine with it also as this helps with the conversion of tyrosine into dopamine and also blocks serotonin. I have been taking this product by Lifeblud. TyroPhen

"a study by Wang, H. L. (1962) called "Effect of dietary phenylalanine and tryptophan on brain serotonin" showed that not dietary Tyrosine, but Phenylalanine consumption was able to lower body and brain serotonin. If you have studied or are a fan of the work of Dr. Ray Peat, and his extensive explanations on serotonin and its harmful effects in excess, then you will appreciate the value in that."

But i do not think it has high enough dose of tyrosine to reverse grey hair.

This is the product that Bryan Johnson is using if anyone is interested Grey Hair Treatment - GR-7 Professional

As a side note I think that Bryan Johnson is doing a lot of things wrong for longevity, too much exercise, constantly fasting, vegan diet etc. But he often stumbles upon things that are likely beneficial such as this.

Dave Clark

Been using tyrosine daily for a few decades, never fixed my grey hair { I don't have much, so maybe 'reducing' grey hair is possible}. Grey hair reducing from nutrients is, to me anyway, more fantasy than fact. Otherwise, you would see the hair color industry stocks drop like rocks But, always worth trying.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Been using tyrosine daily for a few decades, never fixed my grey hair { I don't have much, so maybe 'reducing' grey hair is possible}. Grey hair reducing from nutrients is, to me anyway, more fantasy than fact. Otherwise, you would see the hair color industry stocks drop like rocks But, always worth trying.
How much tyrosine have you been using daily?

Dave Clark

How much tyrosine have you been using daily?
I use about 500 mg on an empty stomach in the AM. I may take days off every now and then, but I do that with many nutrients. I will say that I am far less grey than my friends and family of the same age or even younger, I have some around the side burn area, and a small bit through out my head, where other people I know are totally grey {I am in my 6th decade}. Did/does the tyrosine help with that {or is it genetics}? I don't know, but I use it mostly for dopamine and thyroid optimization.

Ras

Isn't greying of the hair caused exclusively by hydrogen peroxide production and accumulation in the follicle?

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
I use about 500 mg on an empty stomach in the AM. I may take days off every now and then, but I do that with many nutrients. I will say that I am far less grey than my friends and family of the same age or even younger, I have some around the side burn area, and a small bit through out my head, where other people I know are totally grey {I am in my 6th decade}. Did/does the tyrosine help with that {or is it genetics}? I don't know, but I use it mostly for dopamine and thyroid optimization.

I think 500mg is probably not enough to reverse grey hair but it certainly might help slow down the process.

Dave Clark

I think 500mg is probably not enough to reverse grey hair but it certainly might help slow down the process.
You may be right. But, that dose is all I will consume in supplement form. Higher doses can be too much for some people, taken in supplement form. Before I would even think of upping the dose, I would want to see studies done that validate the anti-greying effects. Still, it would be interesting to hear anecdotal stories of people who have reversed grey hair with large doses of L-tyrosine.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
GR-7 is a topical product though so taking it orally might not have the same impact on the hair.

L_C

If I remember correctly, Charlie said that greying is caused by copper toxicity. I think Peat said you need copper to prevent greying. Definitely, it's all confusing to me.

DanDare

Forum Supporter
If I remember correctly, Charlie said that greying is caused by copper toxicity. I think Peat said you need copper to prevent greying. Definitely, it's all confusing to me.

Both can be true. When the liver does not function well, it seems to accumulate copper, vit A, who knows what else, and so the serum levels appear very low. So for example, when people have avoided consuming vitamin A, the serum levels have actually increased - the liver 'unlocks'. This may be true for copper. And so you can have copper toxicity (in the liver), but low serum levels, and low levels elsewhere. Perhaps :D

Peater

Both can be true. When the liver does not function well, it seems to accumulate copper, vit A, who knows what else, and so the serum levels appear very low. So for example, when people have avoided consuming vitamin A, the serum levels have actually increased - the liver 'unlocks'. This may be true for copper. And so you can have copper toxicity (in the liver), but low serum levels, and low levels elsewhere. Perhaps :D
This guy is bang on the copper supplementation and is grey.

His site is still interesting as like to look at all different schools of thought etc. But I don't supplement copper.

At some point I would like to try a HTMA but I don't have the spare cash at the moment.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals