Has anyone resolved a metallic taste in their mouth (dysgeusia) while pregnant?

angelina

Hello
I wanted to know if anyone has had any luck resolving dysgeusia while still pregnant? My daughter is in her second trimester and has been struggling with severe metallic taste and nausea from the start. The nausea now has its good days and bad, but the metallic taste is lingering and driving her nuts. All seems well with the pregnancy otherwise and she is free from the pokey. She is taking zinc. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Peachy

Has the metallic taste gotten any better as the nausea has improved?

Peachy

Most of the time it has. The taste is the worse in the evenings, when she has her worst nausea.
I think I remember a taste like that and maybe it’s linked to gastric juices. Is she eating frequently and following her cravings (in a reasonable way?)

The only thing that kept the nausea (and weird taste) at bay for me was eating super frequently. And following my tastes. I’m sorry she’s dealing with it. It’s really overwhelming. But it’s going to get so much better in a couple weeks I bet!

akgrrrl

Interesting! Last year I had nausea and metallic taste severely for 4months. I am old and certainly not pregnant, my repeated complaints were ignored by my "provider", and it resolved without fanfare but gradually. I made sure to note that no different foodstuffs were purchased, no supps, nothing in my home. The nausea was terribly debilitating bordering on vertigo, boyhowdy was I happy when my tastebuds got back to normal. That said, every so often like thisweek, my fresh goats milk tastes "off" and then I realize its not just that milk...that I am experiencing a fraction of when it was fully metallic. Help her find the one drink she likes and keep it handy---for me it was boilingwater with a squeeze of fresh ginger paste in a tube and a tsp of lemon juice and some honey.
Ginger is good for nausea

OP
A

angelina

I think I remember a taste like that and maybe it’s linked to gastric juices. Is she eating frequently and following her cravings (in a reasonable way?)

The only thing that kept the nausea (and weird taste) at bay for me was eating super frequently. And following my tastes. I’m sorry she’s dealing with it. It’s really overwhelming. But it’s going to get so much better in a couple weeks I bet!
I really hope it does get better for her soon. Her midwife recommended drinking really hot liquids with her meals, so she is going to try that. I'll recommend more frequent meals to her. Thanks🙂

OP
A

angelina

Interesting! Last year I had nausea and metallic taste severely for 4months. I am old and certainly not pregnant, my repeated complaints were ignored by my "provider", and it resolved without fanfare but gradually. I made sure to note that no different foodstuffs were purchased, no supps, nothing in my home. The nausea was terribly debilitating bordering on vertigo, boyhowdy was I happy when my tastebuds got back to normal. That said, every so often like thisweek, my fresh goats milk tastes "off" and then I realize its not just that milk...that I am experiencing a fraction of when it was fully metallic. Help her find the one drink she likes and keep it handy---for me it was boilingwater with a squeeze of fresh ginger paste in a tube and a tsp of lemon juice and some honey.
Ginger is good for nausea
This is really interesting. Your choice of drink is similar to what her midwife recommended yesterday. She was advised to drink really hot drinks with meals. She lost her taste with long covid (two years ago) and could only smell burning hair for a few weeks. I wonder if it has anything to do with it? Thanks for your story. It's crazy that happened without the pregnancy!

OP
A

angelina

Most of the time it has. The taste is the worse in the evenings, when she has her worst nausea.
Her midwife has recommended digestive enzymes. Searching the forum, I haven't seen much of a problem with them, but if anyone has read or experienced otherwise I'd love to know that too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals