High Hemoglobin & Hematocrit - Prescribed Blood Thinner Eliquis (Apixaban) - What Should I Do?

tom94

Hello all - I'm a 41 year old male.

I was diagnosed with high hemoglobin and hematocrit levels.

Prescribed Blood Thinner Eliquis (Apixaban) - I heard it has nasty side effects and would prefer to avoid taking it in the long term.

I've noticed I've found it hard to lose weight which I'm conscious maybe a side effect of taking it (but this has only been validated anecdotally).

Otherwise healthy. Eat well. Stay active. Do my best to drink clean water and avoid as many toxins as I can.

What Should I Do?
Is there a safe way to wean of it?
Shall I just swap it with Aspirin instead?
Is there a lifestyle change that I can make that'll help get to the root cause of why they're elevated?

Any advice or tips regarding some helpful resources would be a BIG help.

Thank you.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I would think donating blood and increasing the amount of liquid you drink would be a better way to lower the high hemoglobin and hematocrit. Usually, blood thinners are prescribed to people with heart or stoke problems. I don't know how to wean off of it.

OP
T

tom94

I would think donating blood and increasing the amount of liquid you drink would be a better way to lower the high hemoglobin and hematocrit. Usually, blood thinners are prescribed to people with heart or stoke problems. I don't know how to wean off of it.
Thanks for this. Some good points. Appreciate it.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
You are welcome. I knew an elderly person with arrhythmia who took Eliquis and eventually started to have severe nose bleeds. There aren't any tests to monitor clotting like when taking coumadin. I would question your doctor as to why a blood thinner is recommended for your situation. Doctor's receive money from pharmacy companies for each prescription and Eliquis is popular for that reason.

youngsinatra

Gotten a full iron panel to make sure it’s not iron overload?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals