How are your prepping for a potential emergency?

OP
P

Peatness

I would consider buying a pre-built solar generator (such as the Ecoflow River or Delta, depending on financial situation and type of appliances you would need to use), which can be charged from a household socket or solar panels. Or you can build one yourself for less money, which is what I just did, and you don't need to be a licensed electrician to do so.
Thanks jam. I'm laughing out loud at the ided of building my own generator. Hats off to anyone doing this. I don't have that kind of skill.

OP
P

Peatness

AspiringSage

Thanks jam. I'm laughing out loud at the ided of building my own generator. Hats off to anyone doing this. I don't have that kind of skill.
I’ve done it with a single cylinder Listeroid Diesel engine (low RMP, darn near Edwardian steam locomotive level technology) and a dc generator. Used it to top off a large lead acid battery bank that was also charged by solar panels. The Listeroid will burn anything from used cooking oil (even PUFAs) to kerosene. It will also burn natural gas as a secondary fuel to reduce diesel or bio diesel consumption. Gas furnace parts were used control the natural gas add mixture. Drew from the battery bank with 120/240 inverter. Sort of an odd combo of high and low tech.

It was deeply satisfying to build such a contraption, but it’s a lot of work. I wouldn’t attempt it again. I’d just point people towards inverter generators, modern 1800 RPM water cooled diesel generators, lithium batteries and solar panels. Particularly, the sort with integrated on panel inverters. Solar Edge out of Germany makes some really nice DC, DC/AC and AC systems.

OP
P

Peatness

I’ve done it with a single cylinder Listeroid Diesel engine (low RMP, darn near Edwardian steam locomotive level technology) and a dc generator. Used it to top off a large lead acid battery bank that was also charged by solar panels. The Listeroid will burn anything from used cooking oil (even PUFAs) to kerosene. It will also burn natural gas as a secondary fuel to reduce diesel or bio diesel consumption. Gas furnace parts were used control the natural gas add mixture. Drew from the battery bank with 120/240 inverter. Sort of an odd combo of high and low tech.

It was deeply satisfying to build such a contraption, but it’s a lot of work. I wouldn’t attempt it again. I’d just point people towards inverter generators, modern 1800 RPM water cooled diesel generators, lithium batteries and solar panels. Particularly, the sort with integrated on panel inverters. Solar Edge out of Germany makes some really nice DC, DC/AC and AC systems.
Good for you.

Robert5493

Well done, that is a big project. Listeroids do not come ready to run.
I helped a friend build a similar project with a 12/2 and 10kw head.
We went that way as he has a shop with heavy equipment, welders etc. he needed to run, so the diesel runs a few hours a day and he charges the batteries concurrently. Waste heat goes to his greenhouse.
His is a very rugged setup with almost no electronics other than the rectifiers charging the batteries, and that consists of a simple bridge and over voltage disconnect. Even the generator head uses just resistors for voltage control. The battery bank is a 120V string so he can run 120V universal motors, lighting etc. directly on DC. For the surprising few things that truly did need regulated AC, we used dedicated inverters at the individual loads.
This way we kept everything simple, easy to troubleshoot and repair with locally sourced/repurposed parts when required.

Last edited:

AspiringSage

Well done, that is a big project. Listeroids do not come ready to run.
I helped a friend build a similar project with a 12/2 and 10kw head.
We went that way as he has a shop with heavy equipment, welders etc. he needed to run, so the diesel runs a few hours a day and he charges the batteries concurrently. Waste heat goes to his greenhouse.
His is a very rugged setup with almost no electronics other than the rectifiers charging the batteries, and that consists of a simple bridge and over voltage disconnect. Even the generator head uses just resistors for voltage control. The battery bank is a 120V string so he can run 120V universal motors, lighting etc. directly on DC. For the surprising few things that truly did need regulated AC, we used dedicated inverters at the individual loads.
This way we kept everything simple, easy to troubleshoot and repair with locally sourced/repurposed parts when required.

That’s an awesome project. I am continually impressed by contributors on this forum. There is a lot to be said for keeping things DC whenever possible. I think people with EMI/EMF sensitivity could benefit from structures with DC lighting and limited shielded AC branch circuits where unavoidable.

What sort of breaker panel or over current protection did you end up using for distribution?

Robert5493

That’s an awesome project. I am continually impressed by contributors on this forum. There is a lot to be said for keeping things DC whenever possible. I think people with EMI/EMF sensitivity could benefit from structures with DC lighting and limited shielded AC branch circuits where unavoidable.

What sort of breaker panel or over current protection did you end up using for distribution?
Back then there was negligible solar industry, very little DC equipment readily available so most of it is repurposed industrial 600/347V equipment. The mains is a 3phase fused disconnect with 2 fuses in series. That fed the distribution box, which housed DC rated fuses per leg, 15 or 20A mostly.
Some of the equipment choices were because it was initially designed to be floating and with a monitoring ground fault detector. But eventually he converted it to a grounded system and reconfigured some things, like the fused disconnect.
The most difficult part of the project actually, was sourcing decent looking DC rated switches.

Attachments

• E7F3DE9F-CEBA-4EFE-8B03-210A88659032.jpeg
    E7F3DE9F-CEBA-4EFE-8B03-210A88659032.jpeg
    515.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 275A9532-F218-4888-8623-808F8ED0AF5C.jpeg
    275A9532-F218-4888-8623-808F8ED0AF5C.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 19
  • CBF1FD28-AD97-495A-BC08-4ED37325F5FA.jpeg
    CBF1FD28-AD97-495A-BC08-4ED37325F5FA.jpeg
    481.1 KB · Views: 19
P

Peatress

At the end of last year I started to feel overwhelmed about prepping. I made mistakes and wasted a lot of money on things I didn’t get round to using. Lately I’ve started organising my stock. This time I’m being more discerning about what I buy. Bottled juices are the way to go @Rinse & rePeat

At the end of last year I started to feel overwhelmed about prepping. I made mistakes and wasted a lot of money on things I didn’t get round to using. Lately I’ve started organising my stock. This time I’m being more discerning about what I buy. Bottled juices are the way to go @Rinse & rePeat
That is what has happened to me too Peatress, until now. I feel like I am honing my stash, as not to waste money on things I am not rotating in and out. The juices I have chosen, are what I have settled on for certain, with each one having it’s own benefit and purpose. I have a second refrigerator, which I have been utilizing for storage for things I can rotate too, storing macadamias, lecithin free coconut oil made chocolate, beef tallow, raw honey, ghee, defatted peanut powder, organic marmalade and lingonberry jam, sprouted oats and masa flour, I keep some things out of the way in the “crisper” drawers and other things collected in freezer baggies. For dry my shelf storage I have dozens of cans of organic condensed milk, lots of salt and organic sugar, glass jars of artichoke hearts, refined coconut oil, organic ground coffee and organic instant, canned oysters, clam juice and condiments like organic ketchup, hot sauces, organic maple syrup and maple sugar, and various other odds and ends. I took probably a hundred things back to a half dozen stores last summer, misjudging my choices. Right now I am rethinking the mushrooms I bought in glass jars and think I will take them back too. I just don’t like the flavor, and haven’t been using them. A bone broth I bought isn’t getting used either.

P

Peatress

It's good the stores allow you to return unwanted items. I thought we would see food shortages here but so far everything seems plentiful. MSM keeps reporting about tomatoes shortages but I've not seen evidence of this. Thanks @Rinse & rePeat your list has given me some ideas. I love macadamias.

It's good the stores allow you to return unwanted items. I thought we would see food shortages here but so far everything seems plentiful. MSM keeps reporting about tomatoes shortages but I've not seen evidence of this. Thanks @Rinse & rePeat your list has given me some ideas. I love macadamias.
Anytime!

P

Peatress

From the article

How convenient that some corporate and ideological partners of the international bureaucracies pushing these Net Zero policies are waiting in the wings with ‘planet saving’ food products!

In a world where fresh food is plentiful and cheap, no one would dream of sniffing around a lab for their next meal, but poverty is a powerful motivator to accept barely palatable crap sweetened with false virtue. Instead of counting calories, the next generation will be calculating their carbon footprint at the dinner table.

P

Peatress

This is how Debi Evans ends her blog this week

"Do you have an emergency plan? If not, perhaps consider making one. If the grid went down, do you have some way of lighting your home and have you got some way of keeping warm? Do you have access to clean water and basic food rations? Remember to keep a full tank of fuel. If the power goes, so do the pumps and all card payments. As autumn draws in and winter approaches, please make sure you have what you need to get through what may be a difficult season ahead. Be prepared and don’t be scared. Faith is the antidote to fear. "

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom