How to dry clothes properly on Winter and/or disinfect.

Makrosky

Bad weather is here. And since I have to dry my clothes in an indoor shared area of the building, some of them are not fully dry sometimes and then they smell of humidity.

What are you guys doing to prevent this? There is a dehumidifier but I don't think it helps 100%. Also a drying tumbler but I have been told it damages clothes? Is this true?

I have read on the internet that using some white vinegar on the washing helps.

I also remember someone on the forum mentioning years ago about using borax. Anyone has experience with that?

Anyother suggestions? The smell is bad... but knowing that it might be because of mold is quite scary.

As I never had to deal with that before I am quite clueless.

miquelangeles

White vinegar helps with the smell. You could dry some of them in one of your rooms instead where the temperature is warm, with the added benefit of humidifying the air? A dehumidifier wouldn't help in winter. Cold air can't retain much moisture and that's why clothes don't fully dry.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

White vinegar helps with the smell. You could dry some of them in one of your rooms instead where the temperature is warm, with the added benefit of humidifying the air? A dehumidifier wouldn't help in winter. Cold air can't retain much moisture and that's why clothes don't fully dry.
Thanks a lot miquelangeles. I thought about doing it at home yes, that's last resort option.

Do you think dehumidifier doesn't work either if the space is closed? Like no cold air from outside.

How do you use the vinegar? You pour some mixed with the soap?

miquelangeles

Thanks a lot miquelangeles. I thought about doing it at home yes, that's last resort option.

Do you think dehumidifier doesn't work either if the space is closed? Like no cold air from outside.

How do you use the vinegar? You pour some mixed with the soap?

Yes, vinegar in the laundry detergent compartment.
The dehumidifier would help only marginally. Raising the air temperature would be more efficient, it significantly increases the moisture carrying capacity.

air-moisture_carrying_capacity_temperature.jpg

FitnessMike

got the same problem, I'm going to buy this narrow airer today and do smaller batches of laundry and dry them next to the heater at least until they get semi-dry

Rafe

I solved a stinky towels problem by using baking soda (not “washing soda”) & vinegar instead of laundry detergent. Occasionally I use laundry detergent to remove oils. And baking soda can be harsh on clothing, so some items won’t last as long.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

I solved a stinky towels problem by using baking soda (not “washing soda”) & vinegar instead of laundry detergent. Occasionally I use laundry detergent to remove oils. And baking soda can be harsh on clothing, so some items won’t last as long.
Excellent. How much did you use of each?

Old Irenaeus

Have you or anyone else made washing powder by heating baking soda until it turns into sodium + carbonic acid? I am running an experiment with it, but haven't been able to discern if it's really a good detergent or not.

stoic

Another possibility: invest in a good dehumidifier with drying option and simply let your clothes dry in your home.

That is what I did and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I feel, think and sleep much better in a less humid home.

The only negative part is that it can be noisy, but you can usually set them to stop once they reach a certain humidity level, or you can just let them run while you're not at home.

Rafe

@stoic I use a dehumidifier in my basement in summer & it does get that basement smell out. Or, at least it’s not as strong.

@Old Irenaeus I haven’t made that. The washing soda is sodium carbonate. It seems to destroy the threads in my cotton towels faster than sodium bicarbonate. I have a few synthetics & they are destroyed quickly by both of those and drying.

@Makrosky I don’t measure carefully. I have a huge top-load washing machine that adjusts the water itself. I put in about 1/3 cup of baking soda at the bottom of the basket, throw in about 3 beach towels (thin but large) & pour about 2/3 cup vinegar on top. Then put it in a “towels” cycle.

If I use laundry detergent on the towels I can feel it still in them when washed, & they get less absorbent & stinky over time. Our water supply is hard, but not well.

Old Irenaeus

@stoic I use a dehumidifier in my basement in summer & it does get that basement smell out. Or, at least it’s not as strong.

@Old Irenaeus I haven’t made that. The washing soda is sodium carbonate. It seems to destroy the threads in my cotton towels faster than sodium bicarbonate. I have a few synthetics & they are destroyed quickly by both of those and drying.

@Makrosky I don’t measure carefully. I have a huge top-load washing machine that adjusts the water itself. I put in about 1/3 cup of baking soda at the bottom of the basket, throw in about 3 beach towels (thin but large) & pour about 2/3 cup vinegar on top. Then put it in a “towels” cycle.

If I use laundry detergent on the towels I can feel it still in them when washed, & they get less absorbent & stinky over time. Our water supply is hard, but not well.
Thanks. That's very helpful.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

I see! I will try it. Thanks a lot.

Giraffe

There is a dryer but I have been told it damages clothes? Or is that bs?

When I last bought a washing mashine (long ago) I was told that you need to spin-dry the clothes at 1600 rotations per minute if you want to use a drying tumbler. I have a couple of formerly soft towels that have been permanently damaged at lower speed than that. They feel like sandpaper now. The clothes may also be so crinkled that you need to iron them if you spin-dry too high.

Just my 2 cents. The washing mashines today may work differently.

Birdie

When I last bought a washing mashine (long ago) I was told that you need to spin-dry the clothes at 1600 rotations per minute if you want to use a drying tumbler. I have a couple of formerly soft towels that have been permanently damaged at lower speed than that. They feel like sandpaper now. The clothes may also be so crinkled that you need to iron them if you spin-dry too high.

Just my 2 cents. The washing mashines today may work differently.
My formerly soft towels have been ruined by the hard water around here. My husband does most of the laundry, but when I do my t-shirts, I put vinegar and water in the water softener holder and that helps keep them from getting rough/hard. We have a new washing machine that uses very little water and beats the clothes!

I think, Makrosky, that it might help if you try putting vinegar and water into the softener holder. If your machine has that holder. I would also try putting them in the dryer tumbler for about 10 minutes and then hang them up.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals