How to get out of a hyper-serotonergic state (gut focused)

Hans

Forum Supporter
95% or more of all serotonin in the body comes from the gut. People with autism (common symptoms include brain fog, reduced IQ, etc.) have excess serotonin and low dopamine which can be almost completely corrected by focusing on the gut only. In this vid, I discuss the certain bacteria that are the cause of excess serotonin and dopamine dysfunction and how to modulate them.

View: https://youtu.be/0o4ENCLnDTk

Ben.

Something about the whole microbiome always confuses me.

Even clinical experts tell us its the diet that trumps pro/pre-biotics. So how is it then that the biome got messed up in the first place? A course of the wrong antibiotics? Pesticides? In that case there maybe strains that went extinct within a person that have yet to be discovered?

Maybe it is a fallacy i fall into but how would diet fix the issue? What makes the diet/supplement shift of the biome resolve anything but temporary relief on a subscription basis? Because once the diet reverts back to w/e the person wants it to be, how do we make sure issues dont come back?

I dont know about others but imo a healthy person is/should be robust enough to handle food without getting all these awful issues. Perhaps this is a little OT but i have yet to find health advice that actually wants to or manages to restore proper baseline health without requiring a person to adjust his/her entire life around a diet, supplements or medication on a day to day basis.

However i did not know about the aronia berries so thanks for that.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter

Even clinical experts tell us its the diet that trumps pro/pre-biotics. So how is it then that the biome got messed up in the first place? A course of the wrong antibiotics? Pesticides? In that case there maybe strains that went extinct within a person that have yet to be discovered?

Maybe it is a fallacy i fall into but how would diet fix the issue? What makes the diet/supplement shift of the biome resolve anything but temporary relief on a subscription basis? Because once the diet reverts back to w/e the person wants it to be, how do we make sure issues dont come back?

I dont know about others but imo a healthy person is/should be robust enough to handle food without getting all these awful issues. Perhaps this is a little OT but i have yet to find health advice that actually wants to or manages to restore proper baseline health without requiring a person to adjust his/her entire life around a diet, supplements or medication on a day to day basis.

I have those same questions. Stress played a big role in the food sensitivities and symptoms I got. Eliminating certain food helped a lot. Restoring the metabolic rate also helped. But still, I seem to be sensitive to certain starches and food toxins (nightshade, lectins, etc.) regardless of how great my metabolism is now. I avoid pesticides and other toxins, yet the sensitivities remain. However, when I look back, I actually almost always had nasal congestion and nasal drip growing up and I never connected it to the food I ate. So it would seem that I always had some sensitivities growing up and it was just worsened by long periods of stress.
I'm not sure why people retain certain sensitivities (Peat are still sensitive to nightshade for example) even though their diet and lifestyle are "perfect". Could be an epi/genetic modification/trait. Perhaps even persistent dormant bacteria/fungus that flare up when certain foods are eaten, such as starch, lectins, nightshade, etc, which then causes problems.

Mito

95% or more of all serotonin in the body comes from the gut. People with autism (common symptoms include brain fog, reduced IQ, etc.) have excess serotonin and low dopamine which can be almost completely corrected by focusing on the gut only. In this vid, I discuss the certain bacteria that are the cause of excess serotonin and dopamine dysfunction and how to modulate them.
For optimal gut health (low serotonin), do you think it is more important to have a favorable ratio of “less harmful” bacteria to “more harmful” bacteria or keeping the total population of bacteria low? Or are they equally important?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
For optimal gut health (low serotonin), do you think it is more important to have a favorable ratio of “less harmful” bacteria to “more harmful” bacteria or keeping the total population of bacteria low? Or are they equally important?
I'd focus first on optimizing the metabolism, thyroid function and transit time and lowering inflammation. That should take care of a lot of things for a lot of people. If issues still persist, then it can be very helpful to address the microbiome specifically.
Having a fast transit time should help to keep the bacteria in check. But fast transit time doesn't necessarily mean optimal gut function.
But if someone has high serotonin, reduce excess cholate and deoxycholate to lower serotonin can speed recovery up.

Kram

I'd focus first on optimizing the metabolism, thyroid function and transit time and lowering inflammation. That should take care of a lot of things for a lot of people. If issues still persist, then it can be very helpful to address the microbiome specifically.
Having a fast transit time should help to keep the bacteria in check. But fast transit time doesn't necessarily mean optimal gut function.
But if someone has high serotonin, reduce excess cholate and deoxycholate to lower serotonin can speed recovery up.
This may be a dumb question but can TUDCA or taurine actually increase serotonin since they increase bile flow?

Vileplume

Hey Hans, have you had any clients (or yourself) who are notable improvements switching from whole milk to low fat, regardless of A1 or A2 status?

I drink whole goat milk and it digests pretty well, but lately I’ve had some bacterial tongue issues and I wonder if raw low fat milk might do better, despite it being A1.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
This may be a dumb question but can TUDCA or taurine actually increase serotonin since they increase bile flow?
Taurine doesn't seem to lower cholate. Can't find anything on deoxycholate.

TUDCA might be able to lower deoxycholate, but can't find anything on cholate.
Both cholate and deoxycholate increase TPH1.

"Jia and collaborators [24] reported that the increase in the number of gut microbiota produces a large amount of bile acid hydrolase, which hydrolyzes the bound bile acid into a large amount of secondary bile acid LCA9 (lithocholic acid) and DCA10 (deoxycholic acid), and Tgr5 is activated by the LCA and DCA to inhibit the synthesis of liver bile acids. According to a previous report [25], bile acid hydrolase in the intestine was mainly produced by Bacteroidetes, and this study found that after treatment with TUDCA, the percentage of Bacteroidetes was significantly decreased from 25.70% in the LD group to 10.67% in the treatment group." (R)

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hey Hans, have you had any clients (or yourself) who are notable improvements switching from whole milk to low fat, regardless of A1 or A2 status?

I drink whole goat milk and it digests pretty well, but lately I’ve had some bacterial tongue issues and I wonder if raw low fat milk might do better, despite it being A1.
Yes a couple, especially if their digestion is sluggish or if they have impaired bile flow. It's worth an experiment. However goat far is high in short and medium chain fats which enhances the digestibility of the fat. However, perhaps you can get a separator and reduce the fat content of the goat milk and see if that fixes the problem.
Is it only white tongue or other symptoms as well?

Vileplume

Yes a couple, especially if their digestion is sluggish or if they have impaired bile flow. It's worth an experiment. However goat far is high in short and medium chain fats which enhances the digestibility of the fat. However, perhaps you can get a separator and reduce the fat content of the goat milk and see if that fixes the problem.
Is it only white tongue or other symptoms as well?
Thank you. I do have a separator, but the reheating required to skim the milk gave it such an unpleasant taste that until I can skim the milk fresh, that option is not sustainable. I will try skimmed raw A1 milk though, to see how that goes.

In previous months I had a clean tongue on the same amount of whole goats milk, but it appears something has changed. Here are some possibilities I’ve considered:

Option 1: my metabolism has slowed due to months of high fat intake on the whole goat milk (but I doubt this because my weight has decreased and muscle mass increased)

Option 2: the stress from my highly stressful job has worsened my digestion

Option 3: something else is irritating my gut, like oysters in a plastic tub not being fresh enough, or hard boiled eggs causing intestinal discomfort.

Option 4: not consuming enough easily digestible fibers. I eat plenty of carrots and cooked mushrooms, but my poops still aren’t well-formed.

I have other symptoms, including brain fog, bloating sometimes, lower HRV, low deep sleep, decreased exercise tolerance, depression and worse mood anxiety, and worse verbal fluency. But I believe digestion to be the main cause of these problems, because they all go away when my tongue clears.

khan

I copied this from the post of Travis.

"Gamma‐interferon activates tryptophan dioxygenase, which can lower serum trypophan to 50% its original value. So under immune distress—either from immunogenic food peptides or certain pathogens—a person can have both low tryptophan and high histamine (those on a low‐protein diet at least). But Western people eating grains, and perhaps even celiacs, probably generally tend to eat enough protein to partially‐counteract the low tryptophan effects."

I am wondering, why not to just eat immunogenic foods and decrease the amount of tryptophan, which will leads to low serotonin.

Last edited:

rei

Most food allergies at least are brought on by vaccines. Depending on in what culture it has been grown, it will become attacked by the immune system. Eggs, sea allergies, peanuts etc. All have common vaccine source of hypersensitivity.

NodeCerebri

I had a strange experience. In the recent weeks I managed to get a good metabolism, was happy, hungry, horny, with a (balanced) euphoria and optimism which I did not experience for a long time. Then I decided to do a coffee enema with organic green unroasted coffee, and found myself crying and ruminating again in the evening. Brain fog and irritability with a bit of fatigue on the next day. Clearly something with serotonin happened there. I don’t understand because i don’t think an enema could irritate my gut lining? Or was it maybe a detox reaction because my liver felt different afterwards. Mysterious.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I copied this from the post of Travis.

"Gamma‐interferon activates tryptophan dioxygenase, which can lower serum trypophan to 50% its original value. So under immune distress—either from immunogenic food peptides or certain pathogens—a person can have both low tryptophan and high histamine (those on a low‐protein diet at least). But Western people eating grains, and perhaps even celiacs, probably generally tend to eat enough protein to partially‐counteract the low tryptophan effects."

I am wondering, why not to just eat immunogenic foods and decrease the amount of tryptophan, which will leads to low serotonin.
Because an immunogenic diet causes low-grade chronic inflammation, which is just as bad as elevated serotonin.

gaze

I had a strange experience. In the recent weeks I managed to get a good metabolism, was happy, hungry, horny, with a (balanced) euphoria and optimism which I did not experience for a long time. Then I decided to do a coffee enema with organic green unroasted coffee, and found myself crying and ruminating again in the evening. Brain fog and irritability with a bit of fatigue on the next day. Clearly something with serotonin happened there. I don’t understand because i don’t think an enema could irritate my gut lining? Or was it maybe a detox reaction because my liver felt different afterwards. Mysterious.
enema, or harsh laxatives, can cause irritation. Think about it, food is never supposed to move that fast through the intestine. even a little bit of trapped gas causing pressure in the intestine can cause symptoms, imagine what a huge flood of water and backed up stool rapidly moving through it can do

gaze

. But still, I seem to be sensitive to certain starches and food toxins (nightshade, lectins, etc.) regardless of how great my metabolism is now. I avoid pesticides and other toxins, yet the sensitivities remain.
what symptoms do they give?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Anything that distends the gut releases serotonin.

gaze

Eye irritation, red spots on my chest and back and dandruff mainly in the short term.
Often I wonder if good health makes one more or less sensitive to digestive disturbances. Someone I know who went through chemo, who now basically has 0 immune system, never reacts to any foods because the immune system isn't even strong enough to muster an inflammatory response. So on the other end of that spectrum maybe a very strong immune system makes one more sensitive to miniscule things. Pretty sure I saw a study that showed those with autoimmune issues (overactive immune system) have less cancer, although I would have to go look for it again. Most likely being right in the middle is probably best, too much and too little sensitivity are problems.

NodeCerebri

enema, or harsh laxatives, can cause irritation. Think about it, food is never supposed to move that fast through the intestine. even a little bit of trapped gas causing pressure in the intestine can cause symptoms, imagine what a huge flood of water and backed up stool rapidly moving through it can do

Anything that distends the gut releases serotonin.

Thank you both! Suddenly makes sense. So it would also be beneficial to keep portions smaller to avoid excess distension of the gut?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals