How to identify a stress response and how to stop it.

Hans

Forum Supporter
We all know how bad stress is, especially long-term stress. But a lot of us don't even know how to identify a stress response. We think that if we're not in a stressful scenario, we won't have a stress response. But we can experience a stress response even though our environment is low stress.

I'd like to hear from you. What have been your stress response symptoms and what was the best way you found to stop them?

skuabird

I will get a strong fight or flight response from seemingly non-threatening things like arguing online. It's more complicated than just my feelings on the person I'm interacting with (more my mind decides to interpret talking covid vaxxes as a real and current existential threat) but I won't get into all that...

My heart rate starts to rise very quickly. Breathing quickens, mind starts racing. I will develop hypertension in the hours that follow- including headaches.

So, walking away is obviously one solution- put my thoughts on ice. Do belly breathing. The earlier I catch the increase in HR, the better this option is.

However, if a strong emotion builds, I am realizing now I need to actually follow through on the fight or flight and move. Go for a walk, work out, do something productive with it. And my blood pressure goes back down.

I really like adaptogens too- more for longer term stress. I noticed you didn't include tulsi/holy basil this time- is it because of the hormone lowering side effects?

Eberhardt

This is to me the best article you have writtne. Maybe not so much new (to me) but very iseful and essential to a general understanding. Changes in body temp and heartrate as well as dry mouth and constipation/loose stools also comes to mind.

daydreamer

I have taken benzos everyday for years, I am now off them for 18months
I feel like I have been in a near constant normal hyper aroused state, muscles in my body tense, head pressure, bloated abdomen, Derealization, crying
They say it can be like this for a long time for some when coming off of benzos, its really ruining my life, Ive had 1000 medical tests done and I seem to be in the optimal range for nearly everything, even prolactin and estradiol

Quiet time nowadays helps, even just in front of pc watching something I like, being still, I used to be an exercise nut but it does not have the same effect on me
I do hope in time it improves, if not Ill consider drugging myself again to get some relief ,even though I dont want pills anymore, I would consider it

-Luke-

Great article Hans, as always.

#3 in your article was very useful to me. I drink my first cup of coffee with lunch or a bit before that. But it also depends on how I feel in general. Caffeine seems to amplify how I'm feeling. If I'm stressed, it makes me feel more stressed. If I'm relaxed, it feels really good.

The same thing applies to exercise for me. I sometimes used to exercise in the morning but I often felt a stress response. Even after I drank some juice or something. I guess this indicated poor lor suboptimal liver function and that my glycogen stores aren't repleted quickly enough. If I exercise right before lunch, I don't get that stress response.

Regarding you #4, what helps me calm down is Holy Basil/Tulsi. Did you ever try it? What also helps is slowing down my breath and sitting in the sun for a while.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I will get a strong fight or flight response from seemingly non-threatening things like arguing online. It's more complicated than just my feelings on the person I'm interacting with (more my mind decides to interpret talking covid vaxxes as a real and current existential threat) but I won't get into all that...

My heart rate starts to rise very quickly. Breathing quickens, mind starts racing. I will develop hypertension in the hours that follow- including headaches.

So, walking away is obviously one solution- put my thoughts on ice. Do belly breathing. The earlier I catch the increase in HR, the better this option is.

However, if a strong emotion builds, I am realizing now I need to actually follow through on the fight or flight and move. Go for a walk, work out, do something productive with it. And my blood pressure goes back down.

I really like adaptogens too- more for longer term stress. I noticed you didn't include tulsi/holy basil this time- is it because of the hormone lowering side effects?
Yeah I had that same effect when I was hypometabolic. Almost anxious for no reason, especially when interacting directly with others. I didn't add Tulsi because I forgot about it haha. It's a good one for sure. Which hormone lowering effect does it have? Lowering T4?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
This is to me the best article you have writtne. Maybe not so much new (to me) but very iseful and essential to a general understanding. Changes in body temp and heartrate as well as dry mouth and constipation/loose stools also comes to mind.
Thanks man. Lol yes dry mouth is also something I got in the past. Pretty sucky. If it's chronic, some indigestion would also take place.

skuabird

Yeah I had that same effect when I was hypometabolic. Almost anxious for no reason, especially when interacting directly with others. I didn't add Tulsi because I forgot about it haha. It's a good one for sure. Which hormone lowering effect does it have? Lowering T4?
Yeah, I have been hypothyroid, maybe that's why my responses seem so out of proportion.

On Tulsi- I've read that it can lower fertility (esp male?) but I haven't seen any solid studies to back it up. I like drinking tulsi tea sometimes, it works pretty well for me.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I feel like I have been in a near constant normal hyper aroused state, muscles in my body tense, head pressure, bloated abdomen, Derealization, crying
They say it can be like this for a long time for some when coming off of benzos, its really ruining my life, Ive had 1000 medical tests done and I seem to be in the optimal range for nearly everything, even prolactin and estradiol

Quiet time nowadays helps, even just in front of pc watching something I like, being still, I used to be an exercise nut but it does not have the same effect on me
I do hope in time it improves, if not Ill consider drugging myself again to get some relief ,even though I dont want pills anymore, I would consider it
If all your bloods are normal, but you still feel off, I wonder if a stool test might help. Almost all drugs alter the gut, so I wonder if someone has chronic issues, if that's not because their gut isn't being fixed.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Great article Hans, as always.

#3 in your article was very useful to me. I drink my first cup of coffee with lunch or a bit before that. But it also depends on how I feel in general. Caffeine seems to amplify how I'm feeling. If I'm stressed, it makes me feel more stressed. If I'm relaxed, it feels really good.

The same thing applies to exercise for me. I sometimes used to exercise in the morning but I often felt a stress response. Even after I drank some juice or something. I guess this indicated poor lor suboptimal liver function and that my glycogen stores aren't repleted quickly enough. If I exercise right before lunch, I don't get that stress response.

Regarding you #4, what helps me calm down is Holy Basil/Tulsi. Did you ever try it? What also helps is slowing down my breath and sitting in the sun for a while.
Thanks man. Yeah for some reason in the past, I was also sensitive to coffee, as in it makes me jittery and urinate a lot, but now, I have no issues. I think thyroid, vit D and Lapodin helped in that regard.
I haven't tried holy basil, but we do have some. If I feel stressed in the future, I'll try it. Currently, I'm using Lapodin again, but in higher doses, and that also has an adaptogenic effect.

daydreamer

I tested negative for pathogens, can you recommened any tests, I know my stomach is swollen like im pregnant, but I think its muscular/nerve and possible inflamation related, my whole body is stiff, tense

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Yeah, I have been hypothyroid, maybe that's why my responses seem so out of proportion.

On Tulsi- I've read that it can lower fertility (esp male?) but I haven't seen any solid studies to back it up. I like drinking tulsi tea sometimes, it works pretty well for me.
Those effects have mainly been shown in animal models. Not sure if it's something to be concerned about, since it does seem to increase testosterone in animal models as well (R). So it might be a male contraceptive. Seems like a win to me haha.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I tested negative for pathogens, can you recommened any tests, I know my stomach is swollen like im pregnant, but I think its muscular/nerve and possible inflamation related, my whole body is stiff, tense
I like biomesight.

Korven

Hey, have you tried high doses of niacinamide? When you ingest sufficiently large quantities, up to 3 g or more per day, it has benzodiazepine-like effects in the brain and CNS. Could be an option instead of going back on benzos. (PDF) Niacinamide's potent role in alleviating anxiety with its benzodiazepine-like properties: A case report

You could also be running low on endogenous neurosteroid GABA agonists like progesterone and allopregnenolone. And to produce those you need adequate T3 and glucose. Ever experimented with taking thyroid or progesterone/pregnenolone?

Also, if you're having issues with bloating I'd start sipping on hot water or tea between meals, it's excellent for strengthening digestion, increasing stomach acid, improving bile flow, soothing nerves etc.

daydreamer

Korven, TY

NO, I have not tried any of those, my issues are mostly horrendous muscle tension and squeezing in my head, jaw, face and body
Man if I could get relief from this it would change my life

daydreamer

This is my advanced neurtransmitter panel, its kind of telling, what do you think? WHat do you make of LOW histamine?

Attachments

• test.JPG
    test.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 35

khan

I'm getting these symptoms almost everyday, which is mentioned in the article. My feet especially gets cold after an hour or two after eating. I am not sure, what is the reason for that. Could be gastritis, low blood sugar? I'm not sure. Please help

Eberhardt

I'm getting these symptoms almost everyday, which is mentioned in the article. My feet especially gets cold after an hour or two after eating. I am not sure, what is the reason for that. Could be gastritis, low blood sugar? I'm not sure. Please help
Matt Stone used to write about that i the old 180degreehealth days. Its called postprandial adrenonergic syndrome. Meaning when you are cronically stressed (including from eating to little) you get an adrenalin flush as the body tries to reestablish balanced levels. It goes away by continuing to carbload and eat well ( as well as general prometabolic stuff)

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
What do those meals consist of? Also, are your feet cold before a meal and then heats up with the meal, but then return to cold after 1-2 hours, or does the meal actually make them cold?

Korven

This is my advanced neurtransmitter panel, its kind of telling, what do you think? WHat do you make of LOW histamine?

That's interesting because typically low histamine would be an overmethylation type issue but you have low everything, low serotonin, low NE, low epinephrine, etc. @redsun, what do you make of these numbers?

You don't want histamine too high or too low. For raising brain histamine specifically you could use a methylation sponge (such as niacinamide), eat more red meat for the precursor amino acid histidine and bioavailable zinc, and get some folate from fruits and vegetables or a B-complex.

But honestly seeing as you're low on most neurotransmitters I'm not sure just raising histamine alone would improve your symptoms. You would want to bring everything up to normal levels to feel good. Big picture things like getting good nutrition (e.g meat, eggs, dairy, fruits, starches), improving thyroid function and raising your temps up to around 98.6 F, improving digestion so that you're properly assimilating energy and nutrients, working on liver and gallbladder health, etc, etc, could all help restore brain energy production and function.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals