How/where do you prepare/buy your orange juice?

J

j.

The plastic of the manual juicer is going to touch the juice only a few seconds. Not using it for that reason seems to me like refusing to pour juice into plastic cups.

gretchen

I drank some OJ from concentrate over the weekend. It was pretty good. Mostly I drink commercial pulp free not from concentrate. COULD NOT LIVE WITHOUT!

BingDing

I think it was Cliff who mentioned using a glass juicer (manual, I guess). Whole Paycheck and Harris Teeter sell fresh squeezed oj for $5.40 per half gallon, I figured that is cheaper than buying oranges. The thread about storing it in million gallon tanks, sucking the flavor out of it by deoxygenating it and then adding "flavor packs" from the food chemists kind of, uh, turned me off. Sorry if I'm a downer, the angel on my shoulder is borderline orthorexic and keeps bugging me. :P

pboy

You can buy a 64oz carton of Whole Foods organic OJ, that is BPA free, fair trade, no flavor packs, not from concentrate, pulp free for 4$...that's why I use it. Its delicious...if any minor amounts of plastic are somehow leaching into the juice I can't sense it and don't feel anything negative from it...not saying it isn't true but the miniscule amounts that may be happening...I feel I can handle it without an issue, if its even an issue at all

There is an organic brand available in glass (not from concentrate) but I cant always afford it. It does taste even slightly better than the carton, more similar to fresh oranges. I'd suggest using fresh oranges when you can afford it and have the time to juice, but not from concentrate pasteurized organic OJ is not much worse and still highly beneficial and tastes very good

BingDing

pboy said:
You can buy a 64oz carton of Whole Foods organic OJ, that is BPA free, fair trade, no flavor packs, not from concentrate, pulp free for 4$...that's why I use it. Its delicious...if any minor amounts of plastic are somehow leaching into the juice I can't sense it and don't feel anything negative from it...not saying it isn't true but the miniscule amounts that may be happening...I feel I can handle it without an issue, if its even an issue at all

There is an organic brand available in glass (not from concentrate) but I cant always afford it. It does taste even slightly better than the carton, more similar to fresh oranges. I'd suggest using fresh oranges when you can afford it and have the time to juice, but not from concentrate pasteurized organic OJ is not much worse and still highly beneficial and tastes very good

If that's the 365 brand it is almost certainly from the "organic industrial food chain"*. It's pulp free because they use enzymes to break (some of) the bonds in the starch polysaccharides. That's what RP was talking about when he noticed a film on the glass that isn't there with real oj, I'm pretty sure. Also pretty sure it's from the million gallon tanks and has flavor packs.

I'm not arguing about the taste, I used the same stuff for several months and liked it. It's just my orthorexic angel that's unhappy because we don't know what's really in it.

*coined by Michael Pollan in "The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals", well worth a read if you can get if from the libaree.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals