Human study — Betaine (TMG) nearly doubles total testosterone & lowers cortisol by 30%

Elie

Forum Supporter
@youngsinatra

Do you know much about the conversion of Choline to betaine in the body? I was reading about how cholines primary metabolic process is making betaine, and then the rest to cycle to acetylcholine and something else. But it seemed the only way it would be excreted would be after the betaine conversion. I read that pqq is the cofactor to the enzyme Choline dehydrogenase which makes this conversion to betaine. Maybe this is a stupid question- but is it possible for choline to build up in the body and not produce betaine if you don’t have adequate supply of PPQ ?
I don't think chiline is converted to acetylcholine, rather to phosphoitidylcholine (one of two pathways).

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

I don't think chiline is converted to acetylcholine, rather to phosphoitidylcholine (one of two pathways).
Acetylcholine is formed by attaching an acetyl group to choline. (mostly from acetyl-CoA)

David PS

Interesting study. Subjects were really young ,so that should be factored in. But Id be interested in hearing other people's experience.
Dr. Peat had some cautionary words about the long term effects of increasing methylation. The most disturbing part is immediately after this clip from a Bioenergentic search that I pasted below.
hydrochloric acid with a glass straw for people to sip to acidify their stomach during meals. But even strong vinegar, acetic acid, helps the enzymes to function, and the Betaine hydrochloride definitely acidifies the stomach and works. But one long-range concern is that Betaine feeds into the methyl metabolism, and you want to look at the long-range effects of increasing methylation. Currently it's stylish to supplement methyl groups, but one of the background facts is that if you decrease the methionine and cysteine in the diet of animals,

GTW

The positive T and cortisol results were following one time acute resistance training exercise in handball players ie moderately fit but not accustomed to AR exercise.
If the shoe fits wear it.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Never understood why Ray was so cautious about methylation. Glycine buffers the potential influx of excess methyl groups and prevents the feared „overmethylation“. That’s probably why you can achieve the longevity benefits that are seen in methionine restriction, when you just add adequate glycine to your diet without the need to restrict protein/methionine intake.

I think many people are in fact not methylating properly.

GTW

Never understood why Ray was so cautious about methylation. Glycine buffers the potential influx of excess methyl groups and prevents the feared „overmethylation“. That’s probably why you can achieve the longevity benefits that are seen in methionine restriction, when you just add adequate glycine to your diet without the need to restrict protein/methionine intake.

I think many people are in fact not methylating properly.
Individualized doses as Chris Masterjohn addresses for many nutrients. Some mainstream analysis cautions 5 gm betaine max. Others 20 gm. Such a range might suggest conditional threshold to avoid adverse effects for some people on some diets could be even lower.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals