Husband has alarming level of manganese on his HTMA test. Thoughts?

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Not sure about that, but I have read that low copper with high manganese is problematic. What's his copper like?
On the test it's on the lower end of normal, but it notes copper may be hidden from hormonal imbalances.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

"Among the best ways to keep your Mn levels in check is to make sure you take adequate amounts of iron. High-iron diets appear to suppress Mn absorption Calcium can also help decrease manganese absorption."

We eat a lot of red meat & cook it just till it's warm most times. But I can put him back on liver sups (he will only eat a few pieces with mustard when I cook it, not enough to really count.) & I'm already using bone & marrow from ancestral sups so I'll share that.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

There are apparently a number of manganese mines in OR. What part do you live in?
I'm in NE Oregon in the Blue Mountain range on the Umatilla reservation. Pretty sure there's no mines here.

We are about 2 hours away from handford though. But we don't go near there & we for sure don't eat the salmon/steelhead that run up the Colombia.

redsun

I'm in NE Oregon in the Blue Mountain range on the Umatilla reservation. Pretty sure there's no mines here.

We are about 2 hours away from handford though. But we don't go near there & we for sure don't eat the salmon/steelhead that run up the Colombia.

Besides what everyone else mentions can be sources of manganese causing his toxicity, your drinking water can have substantial amounts of manganese. It depends where you live so you may be able to find this out. If you are exposed to a lot of fumes from gas you can inhale manganese.

He needs to strongly increase his intake of calcium, copper, and iron and he needs to reduce intake of manganese containing foods as much as possible. These minerals will reduce manganese absorption. More calcium from dairy should especially reduce "snappy" behavior and impulsive like issues and reduced fatigue and feeling of being overwhelmed because calcium helps reduce nervous system reactivity to stress. If you have always consumed a lot of red meat, then maybe iron is not necessarily low though it still could be.

P

Peatness

Ways to Combat Manganese Toxicity​

Do not attempt to combat manganese toxicity on your own. If you suspect that you have been exposed to toxic levels of manganese, seek medical attention as soon as possible and follow your doctor’s instructions.

Substances that help with manganese toxicity include antioxidants, plant extracts, chelating agents, precursors of glutathione (GSH), and synthetic compounds [21].

The following substances have shown promise against manganese toxicity in limited, low-quality clinical studies; there is currently insufficient evidence to support their use in this context, and they should never replace what your doctor prescribes. Remember to talk to your doctor before starting any new supplement or making significant changes to your diet.

1. Among the best ways to keep your Mn levels in check is to make sure you take adequate amounts of iron. High-iron diets appear to suppress Mn absorption [8].
  2. Calcium can also help decrease manganese absorption [95].
  3. Taurine improved the impairment of learning and memory caused by excessive Mn in rats [96].
  4. Magnesium [97, 98, 99, 100]
No clinical evidence supports the approaches listed below to combat manganese toxicity. Below is a summary of the existing animal and cell-based research, which should guide further investigational efforts. However, the studies listed below should not be interpreted as supportive of any health benefit.

1. Vitamin E and Trolox (a water-soluble analog of vitamin E) protected animal brains from the toxic effects of Mn [21].
  2. Glutathione (GSH) (in cell studies) [21]
  3. N-Acetylcysteine (NAC), a precursor of GSH (in cell studies) [101, 102]
  4. Melatonin (in mice and cells) [103, 104]
  5. Quercetin (in rats) [105, 106, 107]
  6. Acai – although acai (Euterpe oleracea) on its own is a source of Mn, its extract protected rat brain cells from Mn-induced oxidative stress. These protective effects are likely due to the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects components in the berries [108]
  7. Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) extract (in mice) [109]
  8. Milk thistle (Silymarin) (in rats) [110]
  9. Lycopene (in rats) [111]
  10. Curcumin (in cells) [112]
  11. Chelating agents, such as calcium disodium salt of the chelator EDTA (in humans and rats) [21]

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Ways to Combat Manganese Toxicity​

Do not attempt to combat manganese toxicity on your own. If you suspect that you have been exposed to toxic levels of manganese, seek medical attention as soon as possible and follow your doctor’s instructions.

Substances that help with manganese toxicity include antioxidants, plant extracts, chelating agents, precursors of glutathione (GSH), and synthetic compounds [21].

The following substances have shown promise against manganese toxicity in limited, low-quality clinical studies; there is currently insufficient evidence to support their use in this context, and they should never replace what your doctor prescribes. Remember to talk to your doctor before starting any new supplement or making significant changes to your diet.

1. Among the best ways to keep your Mn levels in check is to make sure you take adequate amounts of iron. High-iron diets appear to suppress Mn absorption [8].
  2. Calcium can also help decrease manganese absorption [95].
  3. Taurine improved the impairment of learning and memory caused by excessive Mn in rats [96].
  4. Magnesium [97, 98, 99, 100]
No clinical evidence supports the approaches listed below to combat manganese toxicity. Below is a summary of the existing animal and cell-based research, which should guide further investigational efforts. However, the studies listed below should not be interpreted as supportive of any health benefit.

1. Vitamin E and Trolox (a water-soluble analog of vitamin E) protected animal brains from the toxic effects of Mn [21].
  2. Glutathione (GSH) (in cell studies) [21]
  3. N-Acetylcysteine (NAC), a precursor of GSH (in cell studies) [101, 102]
  4. Melatonin (in mice and cells) [103, 104]
  5. Quercetin (in rats) [105, 106, 107]
  6. Acai – although acai (Euterpe oleracea) on its own is a source of Mn, its extract protected rat brain cells from Mn-induced oxidative stress. These protective effects are likely due to the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects components in the berries [108]
  7. Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) extract (in mice) [109]
  8. Milk thistle (Silymarin) (in rats) [110]
  9. Lycopene (in rats) [111]
  10. Curcumin (in cells) [112]
  11. Chelating agents, such as calcium disodium salt of the chelator EDTA (in humans and rats) [21]

Thanks I had read this one just a bit ago.

However I'm not sure if high manganese on a hair test is the same as high manganese in a blood test.

I do have a full spectrum vit e on the way as well as progest-E on hand.

We did realize about 6 months back he on his own accord stopped chugging 2% milk. I mean he'd drink A LOT. So he should probably begin drinking that again to at least some degree.

Perry Staltic

Do you live near the Umatilla Chemical Depot?

We eat a lot of red meat & cook it just till it's warm most times. But I can put him back on liver sups (he will only eat a few pieces with mustard when I cook it, not enough to really count.) & I'm already using bone & marrow from ancestral sups so I'll share that.
Again your husbands sounds like mine, battling me about eating a few bites of liver. I am not impressed with them hehhh!

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Do you live near the Umatilla Chemical Depot?
Nope, that's called handford here. We're a few hours away from it with a mountain range between us.

I'll also note my HTMA test didn't show high manganese levels & we've been joined at the hip for 15 years, so if it was an exposure situation you'd think my levels would be just as high. But I suppose anything is possible.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Again your husbands sounds like mine, battling me about eating a few bites of liver. I am not impressed with them hehhh!
?

If I bread & fry it like steak fingers he'll eat a little more but not much haha.

He will happily eat heart & tongue though so there's that bonus!

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

PXL_20211229_232219758.jpg

This is the view in our front room to convey how remote we are. It's about 40 mins to the nearest town.

We're really not near anything or do anything hobby wise that would expose him to that much manganese.

I don't cook with ceramic, use 360 cook wear (just got that) & very high end tested US made cast iron.

I do have a well test kit on the way, but when we bought the place a few years back & got the mandatory test it didn't show elevated levels on the report.

There was a massive flood though right after we moved it, our property is on a hill (including our artisanal well) but something may have shifted deposit wise in the water table.

I'm having him send the test results to his functional MD to see if she'll order us a blood test so we can compare levels.

Hoping I can get her to look at his liver functions too, seems like high levels can build if your liver isn't passing it into your gut to be sh*t out kinda deal.

Perry Staltic

Nope, that's called handford here. We're a few hours away from it with a mountain range between us.

I'll also note my HTMA test didn't show high manganese levels & we've been joined at the hip for 15 years, so if it was an exposure situation you'd think my levels would be just as high. But I suppose anything is possible.

You mentioned he drank a lot of milk. Do you know where it is sourced from? Maybe he stopped drinking it because his body was telling him something. Just trying to think of possibilities.

View attachment 31846
This is the view in our front room to convey how remote we are. It's about 40 mins to the nearest town.

We're really not near anything or do anything hobby wise that would expose him to that much manganese.

I don't cook with ceramic, use 360 cook wear (just got that) & very high end tested US made cast iron.

I do have a well test kit on the way, but when we bought the place a few years back & got the mandatory test it didn't show elevated levels on the report.

There was a massive flood though right after we moved it, our property is on a hill (including our artisanal well) but something may have shifted deposit wise in the water table.

I'm having him send the test results to his functional MD to see if she'll order us a blood test so we can compare levels.

Hoping I can get her to look at his liver functions too, seems like high levels can build if your liver isn't passing it into your gut to be sh*t out kinda deal.
Your view looks like a painting!

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

You mentioned he drank a lot of milk. Do you know where it is sourced from? Maybe he stopped drinking it because his body was telling him something. Just trying to think of possibilities.
Was a 2% organic brand, horizon I think. Can't get him to do whole or raw.

He stopped drinking it because on a 110°F day (we live in high mountain desert) he ponded a ton of milk while he was overheated & so ya know... He violently sh*t that out ?

He kinda just became afraid of it.

Maybe it is the simple difference that you eat more liver than him?

Was a 2% organic brand, horizon I think. Can't get him to do whole or raw.

He stopped drinking it because on a 110°F day (we live in high mountain desert) he ponded a ton of milk while he was overheated & so ya know... He violently sh*t that out ?

He kinda just became afraid of it.

....and you drink more milk and raw milk than him.....

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Maybe it is the simple difference that you eat more liver than him?
Anything's possible!

I've got one on order for my youngest (14) so we'll see if her test comes back high in it.

Gahh I hope it's not the well water.

Perry Staltic

There's Hanford WA north of you that is a nuclear waste depot. But there's a former chemical weapons depot in Umatilla OR where they used to incinerate chemical weapons. Downwind areas were polluted with heavy metals.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

There's Hanford WA north of you that is a nuclear waste depot. But there's a former chemical weapons depot in Umatilla OR where they used to incinerate chemical weapons. Downwind areas were polluted with heavy metals.
They're the same thing. It's just that we live on the OR/WA border.

We're not down wind at all & have a mountain range in between us.

We actually have maps here that show where the toxins go because in the 40s they released some on purpose to see where it would go.

Killed a lot of people, class action lawsuits finally paid out in the 90s for all of the people it hurt.

We avoid that side, it's all scrub brush over that way anyhow.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom