Hypothyroid symptoms worse after starting NDT?

OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

I actually experienced this and I asked the question in a danny roddy podcast which then got asked to Ray. I cant remember the exact response but I remember Ray saying to drop the dose and start slower. I stupidly forgot and ignored that advice and a few months later took a full dose of NDT and ended up in hospital A&E with extreme subsequent adrenaline attacks. My advice would be continue on your current diet and drop the dose and work up over the dose over a few months. As a side note, I later did tests and my Thyroid antibodies were elevated, this isnt something that is tested often but I think can be useful to do in hypothyroid states.
Thanks for sharing this, Jayvee. I will keep it in mind. I also think the NDT I take is not really standardized and you can't know for sure how much you get with one capsule.

Jayvee

@-Luke- the dosing is why i think most people struggle. I do like that you get some other thyroid forms in the NDT though. The casing point though is if you are gonna experiment then start small and keep measuring temps and symptims (even though it's a massive pain to do so).

Peatful

“…eating a pound of sugar over three days replenishes all of your bodies stored glycogen and restores your thyroid function by giving your liver the fuel it needs.”

Paraphrasing.
Probably not exact.
But super close.

Vajra

Yum! I made stew yesterday for my dad. :) Mushrooms are also a good source of copper and B vitamins. I have a cup of the mushroom broth daily so I always have a 2 liter jar of it in the fridge:

View attachment 46863
What kind of mushrooms/recipe? AFAIK the sentiment here about white button mushrooms needing to be well-cooked is to take any atrazine out and into the water (... to be drained along with nutrients; the fiber being the prized survivor). Salty mushroom broth sounds like a great comfort food.

Dutchie

So I started taking NDT for the first time in my life at the end of last year. Metative IV from the-natural-choice.com. One capsule has 80 mg "Bovine Thyroid Complex" which consists of bovine thyroid gland and ribonucleotides. I read a post on this forum that this is - if I remember correctly - about 3/4 thyroid gland. For whatever reason I can't find that post anymore.

I started with half a capsule, a few days ago I increased the dose to a full capsule. In the first week or so I didn't notice anything. Morning temperature was 36.1 or 36.2 °C before taking the supplement. I am pretty lazy with measuring in the morning because I'm too sleepy. But in the last two days morning temperature was 35.9 °C. Resting pulse rate is around 65, both before and after starting the supplement. Temperature rises to 36.6 °C around noon, also both before and after starting. These last few days I felt even colder as normal, hands even colder than before. Symptoms are not much worse, but significantly. I also feel more stressed and less refreshed after waking up, even though sleep duration has increased.

Any idea what the problem might be?

It wouldn't be the first supplement that has the exact opposite effect for me compared to what it does for other people and why I actually take it...
Do you know if you have high rT3? (I never got any doc.to test mine)

Yesterday, I did some reading up on rT3.
NDT wasn't recommended for people with high rT3 (conversion), bc the T4 in the NDT mostly gets converted to rT3 instead of T3.
High rT3 would make you more hypothyroid in that case.

OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

Hey @Korven and @Dutchie,

I stopped the NDT experiment shortly after my last post in this thread. There were too many open questions for me, for example the conversion into T3/rT3 that Dutchie described, but also the quality of the product.

The other problem is, even though I hardly take any supplements anymore, whenever I start something new, consciously or subconsciously I have an unrealistic expectation that it will solve my problems. Instead I want to go back to the roots of good nutrition, minimal supplementing and focus an stress reduction, sleep and more spiritual matters. I may go back to supplementing thyroid if I know more about my body and the topic in general, and if I have access to a good product (probably synthetic). That doesn't mean the product I used was bad, but there are too many unknowns.

If somebody from Europe (preferably EU, since I'm not sure about problems with customs) wants to try the Metative IV product, I can send you a bottle not yet opened.
Would only cost shipping, other than that I don't want anything for it.

Jennifer

What kind of mushrooms/recipe? AFAIK the sentiment here about white button mushrooms needing to be well-cooked is to take any atrazine out and into the water (... to be drained along with nutrients; the fiber being the prized survivor). Salty mushroom broth sounds like a great comfort food.

It’s just cremini mushrooms boiled in distilled water with salt, honey and whatever fresh herbs I have such as dill. I thought the hydrazine was evaporated out, i.e., outgassed, not leached into the water during the cooking process, but members here may very well be right, however, I haven’t noticed any negatives consuming the broth, only positives.

FitnessMike

Tried to take all my 3 grains of NDT in the morning with breakfast, and i can see it was very bad idea, pulse was below 60 from the start of the day - seem that dividing doses are the right way to go.

Last edited:

mgrabs

It could be that your cortisol/adrenaline was excessively high on waking before you started NDT, which would have raised your temperature in itself. Then once on NDT, you don't have that any more, and your thyroid hormones have not yet kicked in to bring the temperatures up.
Though it's only 0.2-0.3 degrees difference, and only a few readings over a few days, so maybe not enough to draw conclusions from. Could just be 'noise', and the cold feeling could be you are reacting badly to the supplement.
How long does it take to raise

Bluebell

How long does it take to raise
Hi mgrabs, sorry I didn't see your post! I'm no expert but I think NDT raising body temperatures can take a while, judging by the way people track their temperatures over time when starting NDT and slowly raise the dose as temperatures increase.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals