Temps LOWER On NDT?

OP
C

connorj123

Peat has stated thyroid supplementation sometimes unmasks a low metabolism and that it can take months to improve it with supplementation. If you are feeling better I see no reason to quit.

Yeah that makes sense i will definitely stick with it and see if my temps come back up to normal

thomas00

Thank you for the info mate. Am i right to dose based on basal temps and symptoms only then doing blood work when i feel better or do you definitely have to keep taking temps after breakfast etc now?

It's probably useful to keep taking your temperature for the sake of records, if its not too bothersome. I think symptoms ultimately trump bloodwork but bloodwork is somewhat useful too.

Jennifer

Peat has stated thyroid supplementation sometimes unmasks a low metabolism and that it can take months to improve it with supplementation. If you are feeling better I see no reason to quit.
That was my experience. @connorj123, my temps dropped within days of starting WP, which coincided with my adrenaline attacks ceasing. I only saw consistently warm, stable temps after a couple months or so. Now I wake with 37° temps that rise to 37.3°+ during the day.

mrchibbs

That was my experience. @connorj123, my temps dropped within days of starting WP, which coincided with my adrenaline attacks ceasing. I only saw consistently warm, stable temps after a couple months or so. Now I wake with 37° temps that rise to 37.3°+ during the day.
+1

OP
C

connorj123

Yeah i think that is probably the case as well . has anyone safely gone from 1 grain to 2 grains ? Really doubt half a grain is gonna level out my symptoms and it would be another 1 to 2 months before i could get to 2 grains. Thoughts on this guys?

NommyWommy

Hi Jennifer what dose did you start at and what dose are you on now? Thanks

OP
C

connorj123

Hello, This is Benedicte from BiochemNordic (www.biochemnordic.com)
It is normal to see a drop in temperature and pulse rate after a while on thyroid medication. The reason for this is that your adrenalin and cortisol are downregulated by the thyroid hormone, and you now need a higher dose of thyroid. This is actually a good thing and a sign that your medication is working. You can learn more about this subject on BiochemNordic's Thyroid test.

Interesting thank you. @BiochemNordic . Would going from 1 grain to 2 grains be ok?

mrchibbs

Interesting thank you. @BiochemNordic . Would going from 1 grain to 2 grains be ok?

Yes going from 1 to 2 grains is ok, but there is something to be said for allowing the thyroid to get used to a bigger dose more progressively. Keep in mind if you jump to 2 grains right away you may not get the normalization of temperature you need and then you won't have anywhere to go. (increasing to more than 2 grains is probably not a real option).

Even 0.5 grain every 2 week is better than 1 grain all at once, at least that's what I think. If you want to get results from thyroid therapy you need to avoid making the mistakes that so many others have made and Broda Barnes cautions against: impatience. Stick to a dose, monitor your temperatures, and increase slowly, while improving other aspects like micronutrient deficiencies (eating more shellfish), and working on emotional stress, etc. Just about any stress impairs your thyroid function and will reduce the benefits of thyroid therapy.

OP
C

connorj123

Yes going from 1 to 2 grains is ok, but there is something to be said for allowing the thyroid to get used to a bigger dose more progressively. Keep in mind if you jump to 2 grains right away you may not get the normalization of temperature you need and then you won't have anywhere to go. (increasing to more than 2 grains is probably not a real option).

Even 0.5 grain every 2 week is better than 1 grain all at once, at least that's what I think. If you want to get results from thyroid therapy you need to avoid making the mistakes that so many others have made and Broda Barnes cautions against: impatience. Stick to a dose, monitor your temperatures, and increase slowly, while improving other aspects like micronutrient deficiencies (eating more shellfish), and working on emotional stress, etc. Just about any stress impairs your thyroid function and will reduce the benefits of thyroid therapy.

good point. do you think adding a grain after 27 days of 1 grain would be impatience? i know he said up to 2 months on one dose, but i just cant see my symptoms getting any better on this 1 grain. i thought, surely i must have felt this dose by now after a month

Waynish

So many have negative effects that I don't think it should be used except in rare cases anymore. Why can't anyone except severally sick produce the tiny levels of this molecule that's required of themselves? I still don't see valid answers to this question. Make sure the liver is working well, get enough micronutrients and minerals, get enough sun, work on breathing... Thyroid should normalize.

mrchibbs

good point. do you think adding a grain after 27 days of 1 grain would be impatience? i know he said up to 2 months on one dose, but i just cant see my symptoms getting any better on this 1 grain. i thought, surely i must have felt this dose by now after a month

I think it might be slight impatience on your part, yes. Thyroid therapy is known to take at least 2 months to start getting benefits, and even then the temps are not typically normalized at that point. That will happen down the road, with consistent supplementation, and diet/lifestyle improvements, as others have told you above.

So maybe increase by 0.5 grain now, and re-evaluate in 2 weeks. That would be more sensible. And yes, you need to chart your morning temperatures. I recommend creating a google sheet.

mrchibbs

So many have negative effects that I don't think it should be used except in rare cases anymore. Why can't anyone except severally sick produce the tiny levels of this molecule that's required of themselves? I still don't see valid answers to this question. Make sure the liver is working well, get enough micronutrients and minerals, get enough sun, work on breathing... Thyroid should normalize.

To be frank I've lost count of how many times I've read stories of people who seemingly have no clue why they're taking thyroid or how to take thyroid intelligently. Many haven't read Broda Barnes, or Ray's articles, and start off on 2 grains right off the bat, and then they switch to a different product the week after, then wonder why it doesn't work on them...This explains the vast majority of problems encountered on this forum.

OP
C

connorj123

I think it might be slight impatience on your part, yes. Thyroid therapy is known to take at least 2 months to start getting benefits, and even then the temps are not typically normalized at that point. That will happen down the road, with consistent supplementation, and diet/lifestyle improvements, as others have told you above.

So maybe increase by 0.5 grain now, and re-evaluate in 2 weeks. That would be more sensible. And yes, you need to chart your morning temperatures. I recommend creating a google sheet.

i took my basal temperatures for 10 consecutive days as per Broda Barnes(before ndt). But not after breakfast temps or whatever other temps people recommend you do now. I have 10 days worth at least, before NDT, and I have started them again now after being on 1 grain for almost a month

mrchibbs

i took my basal temperatures for 10 consecutive days as per Broda Barnes(before ndt). But not after breakfast temps or whatever other temps people recommend you do now. I have 10 days worth at least, before NDT, and I have started them again now after being on 1 grain for almost a month

Broda Barnes used morning temperatures because they give a better overview of the metabolism at rest. Typically, anything from getting out of bed to eating will increase temperature. The other temperatures are useful (i.e. to see if you're peaking at or above 98.6 in the afternoon), but if you manage to increase your morning temps, the rest will follow suit. And it's much less of a pain to track.

AdoTintor

To be frank I've lost count of how many times I've read stories of people who seemingly have no clue why they're taking thyroid or how to take thyroid intelligently. Many haven't read Broda Barnes, or Ray's articles, and start off on 2 grains right off the bat, and then they switch to a different product the week after, then wonder why it doesn't work on them...This explains the vast majority of problems encountered on this forum.

The Broda book is superb - very inspiring and reads like a novel. And you come to understand you'll most likely be saving yourself the inconvenience of a heart attack in later life.

Getting to grips with Ray's position on thyroid is more tricky - it's like he uses a pollination approach to dispersing information. You go from one source to another collecting tit bits from podcasts and articles like a little bumble bee.

OP
C

connorj123

Broda Barnes used morning temperatures because they give a better overview of the metabolism at rest. Typically, anything from getting out of bed to eating will increase temperature. The other temperatures are useful (i.e. to see if you're peaking at or above 98.6 in the afternoon), but if you manage to increase your morning temps, the rest will follow suit. And it's much less of a pain to track.

yeah its very convenient to just check my waking temps. i have to ask you though, would me taking my temp by waking up earlier than normal with my alarm produce a different result as opposed to just waking up naturally and getting more sleep?

OP
C

connorj123

The Broda book is superb - very inspiring and reads like a novel. And you come to understand you'll most likely be saving yourself the inconvenience of a heart attack in later life.

Getting to grips with Ray's position on thyroid is more tricky - it's like he uses a pollination approach to dispersing information. You go from one source to another collecting tit bits from podcasts and articles like a little bumble bee.

lol yeah i can agree with that . Bzzzzz Bzzzz .

Jennifer

Hi @NommyWommy! It's kind of complicated but basically, my doctor was unfamiliar with NDT and I ended up overmedicated with my starting dose and quickly tanked my cholesterol, causing adrenaline symptoms to return. I'm currently on 1 grain, but my doctor started me on 2 grains. I decreased my dose by a 1/4 grain every two weeks until a proper dose was achieved.

OP
C

connorj123

Hi @NommyWommy! It's kind of complicated but basically, my doctor was unfamiliar with NDT and I ended up overmedicated with my starting dose and quickly tanked my cholesterol, causing adrenaline symptoms to return. I'm currently on 1 grain, but my doctor started me on 2 grains. I decreased my dose by a 1/4 grain every two weeks until a proper dose was achieved.

Could I ask you what your body weight was when you were started off on 2 grains ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals