I am so confused about weight loss

FrenchKiwi

Can anyone here help me understand how to eat in a way that helps me lise weight without constant portion control or hunger? I find fruit makes me hungry, fat free makes me hungry. I am just hungry if I want to lose weight. There isn't much discussion about weight problems but I hope someone can respond

Peatress

Have you read this thread?

Peatful

Have you ever heard the statement:
You don’t lose weight to be healthy
you have to be healthy to lose weight?

I think (for women especially) weight loss is highly hormonal and obviously metabolic

I’m pointing this out-
To encourage you to think less about a diet plan
And more about healing your metabolism, and balancing your hormones

Dr. Peat’s research and writings can guide you

Hans

Forum Supporter
Can anyone here help me understand how to eat in a way that helps me lise weight without constant portion control or hunger? I find fruit makes me hungry, fat free makes me hungry. I am just hungry if I want to lose weight. There isn't much discussion about weight problems but I hope someone can respond
For me and a lot of other people, sticking to a small deficit for fat loss is all that works. There are many methods to make it easier, such as eating enough protein and only eating when you're really hungry, etc.
And ultimately, it's a mindset which includes embracing the suck.

EvanHinkle

After years of doing various pro-metabolic things to improve my health I found addressing glycogen storage and overall liver health to be what finally helped me drop weight.

I used caffeine as Haidut mentioned in many of his threads in high doses to get my liver to drop fat. After two weeks supplementing caffeine at therapeutic doses I began to notice I could go longer without food than I had in many years. I think this is key for the body to be able to put distance between eating and a stress response/cortisol spike between feedings. If you can’t stop eating because your cortisol is always on the verge of redlining it’s difficult to put space between you and stress.

After about three months, (after the caffeine experiments) I finally dropped the last 10 pesky pounds of the nearly 60 or so I put on since “Peating.” To be fair, I was underweight before changing my diet and lifestyle. I’ve lost from 240, (my Peat peak) to 203-205 now, (with significantly more muscle than when I was 180).

Now that my liver function is better I can train for hypertrophy again, (something I haven’t been able to do in years) and having more muscle mass obviously also affects body composition favorably. Now I don’t have to do anything to “loose weight.” Rather I typically have to eat to maintain weight now. Peatful’s comment up thread really nails it. I eat 4-6oz of ice cream 1-2 times daily!

OP
F

FrenchKiwi

For me and a lot of other people, sticking to a small deficit for fat loss is all that works. There are many methods to make it easier, such as eating enough protein and only eating when you're really hungry, etc.
And ultimately, it's a mindset which includes embracing the suck.
OK, so I have to expect some hunger with a calories deficit. I get plenty of protein but never know if fat or carbs helps with satiety.

OP
F

FrenchKiwi

I have, but I'm still confused. So protein and fruit works best? Starch is not good?

The more you ask this question on a forum, the more confused you will surely get. You are going to hear dozens of angles that will just paralyze your analysis. Hans put it best...a small daily caloric deficit, tons of protein, and finding comfort in being a bit hungry. Experiment with carbs and fat for satiety, it is different for everyone.

Last edited:
OP
F

FrenchKiwi

The more you ask this question on a forum, the more confused you will surely get. You are going to hear dozens of angles that will just paralyze your analysis. Hans put it best...a small daily caloric deficit, tons of protein, and finding comfort in being a bit hungry. Experiment with carbs and fat for satiety, it is different for everyone.
Holy crap, you just nailed it. Thank you

Hans

Forum Supporter
OK, so I have to expect some hunger with a calories deficit. I get plenty of protein but never know if fat or carbs helps with satiety.
You have to experiment a lot! Try various kinds of carbs with different ratios of fat. I find a moderate mix of carbs and fat to work best, not to either extremes. In general solid food is better than liquid foods. I've never found filler foods, such as veggies or salads to help with hunger at all. So volume of a meal doesn't matter from my experience.

mostlylurking

I have, but I'm still confused. So protein and fruit works best? Starch is not good?
I think you would be less confused if you would read Ray Peat's articles and listen to Ray Peat's interviews instead of trying to get a general consensus of what strangers think on this forum.

Here's a couple of search engines for you:
PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless (use the search cell that EXCLUDES the forum)
and
Bioenergetic Search This searches the interviews/talk shows. I like to focus on Ray Peat interviews myself.
also, here's a list of links to Ray Peat's articles and interviews:

and no, starch is not good.

Perhaps this would be a good place to start:

Starch is very, very good for many of us. And the key to sustainable fat loss because it can be eaten in abundance and it lowers cortisol. It is the key for many of us.

Tansia

Starch is very, very good for many of us. And the key to sustainable fat loss because it can be eaten in abundance and it lowers cortisol. It is the key for many of us.
@ecstatichamster would you say that the breakthrough for you was switching to starch with some fat and moderate protein? Or there was something else?

@ecstatichamster would you say that the breakthrough for you was switching to starch with some fat and moderate protein? Or there was something else?

switching to primarily starches that are safe for me, lowering sugar (now I don't worry about sugar but it was helpful to minimize it for awhile for fat loss) and having moderate lowish fat.

Masa harina and white rice are my primary starches, well cooked. I do occasionally have a piece of sourdough white bread, but it's not my staple.

I was so fixated on getting calories from sugar, that I was constantly getting endotoxin symptoms from that, and from milk.

I drink some milk now, but not a lot. I don't have endotoxin symptoms very often anymore. And I've lost fat and am at an ideal weight and body composition for me now.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hans put it best...a small daily caloric deficit, tons of protein, and finding comfort in being a bit hungry. Experiment with carbs and fat for satiety, it is different for everyone.
This matches my experience as well.

EvanHinkle

Like UphillEndeavors said, “it’s different for everyone.” That to me is the key takeaway here. The reason why someone retains weight can be different from why another person does.

Tansia

switching to primarily starches that are safe for me, lowering sugar (now I don't worry about sugar but it was helpful to minimize it for awhile for fat loss) and having moderate lowish fat.

Masa harina and white rice are my primary starches, well cooked. I do occasionally have a piece of sourdough white bread, but it's not my staple.

I was so fixated on getting calories from sugar, that I was constantly getting endotoxin symptoms from that, and from milk.

I drink some milk now, but not a lot. I don't have endotoxin symptoms very often anymore. And I've lost fat and am at an ideal weight and body composition for me now.
Thank you for responding with so mamy useful details @ecstatichamster.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals