Income idea for anyone who's lost or may lose their job

OccamzRazer

Hi all! This forum has really helped me with health stuff, & this may be the best way I'm able to give back to all you awesome folks here!

Here's an idea for anyone who's lost their job, or thinks they may lose it in the future. (I mentioned this in the log Blossom started but figured it might deserve a thread of its own.)

Anyways, the idea is freelance writing.

YOU NEED TO ENJOY WRITING FOR THIS TO WORK. You also need to be naturally good at it. For whatever reason, all good writers are intelligent...but not all intelligent people are good writers.

How it works

I've been a freelance writer/copywriter for 2 years now. I probably quit my 'real' job too early, but within the last 6 months my writing career has built some momentum and things are good.

At any given time I have 5-10 writing clients. Almost all of them are health/wellness/fitness companies. These clients give me regular assignments, or, in some cases, I develop content plans for them and then also write the content.

This work requires a love for writing, research, and more research. Researching a topic and then distilling info down into a helpful guide is almost like solving a puzzle.

These days most of my work is billed by the word @10-20 cents/word. I can write 2,000-3,000 words per day, so this is a pretty good rate, particularly if you're working 5+ days/week. Expenses are pretty low - just a computer, Grammarly, Copyscape, and maybe an SEO program - so net income is a large percentage of gross income. At a certain point starting an LLC and writing off stuff thru it is a good idea.

How to get started

If you're just starting out with writing, you may want to sign up as a freelancer on [JOB SITE]. You can apply for a wide variety of writing gigs there. You may have to start at a lower rate (like 5 cents/word) until you have a body of work built up. Over time you can move away from [JOB SITE] with long-term clients that pay better. This is exactly how I got started.

If you're interested in trying this then let me know and I can help more...I have a client account on [JOB SITE] that I could hire you thru solely to give you a first good review. With this review you should be able to attract bigger clients.

The key is to just practice practice practice. 1000 words a day or more, even if it's via this forum.

Also try to find a somewhat technical niche to write in. This will separate you from the non-English speakers (and their painfully low rates lol) who are also out there vying for jobs.

Freelance writing benefits

* Solid income potential (especially over time, and especially if you turn articles into assets via ebooks, blogs, etc)
* Freedom to work from anywhere, travel, spend time with family, spend plenty of time outside
* Freedom to fire stressful clients lol
* Freedom from certain 'vaccines'
* Ability to essentially get paid for your research
* Ability to build up a body of work - maybe better than a resume IMO
* Ability to sneakily share some of Dr. Peat's ideas via company blogs/sites :)

Please feel free to reach out here or via PMs if you'd like more info. Yah bless!

Last edited:

JamesGatz

Following. Something I'd also recommend to this forum is drop-shipping (getting your own site and marketing it well on social media) - it's still pretty profitable imo as long as you find a decent supplier to work with for what you're selling. Trying to work with the Chinese was a nightmare for me but finally found a decent supplier in my country that works for me in terms of products

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Fantastic thread. Great job @OccamzRazer on lending a hand to the community. Cannot thank you enough for stepping up like this. :hattip

Donnea

Following. Something I'd also recommend to this forum is drop-shipping (getting your own site and marketing it well on social media) - it's still pretty profitable imo as long as you find a decent supplier to work with for what you're selling. Trying to work with the Chinese was a nightmare for me but finally found a decent supplier in my country that works for me in terms of products
Hey- could you elaborate on this? What types of things are you selling and how does it work? How do you get started?
Thanks!

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Thanks for the idea! So you're doing this right now? How would you recommend getting started?

I researched dropshipping several years ago but the people who were marketing it seemed kind of scammy...plus not a huge fan marketing/sales unless the products involved are REALLY great.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Lol strong contribution, brother.

Moral issues aside, I think it's getting too saturated.

One girl asked me to subscribe to hers. I told her, if she really needed the money, that she could mow my lawn for $25 instead. Wasn't even that cute :cool:

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Another thing to keep in mind about writing:

A lot of people (i.e, established bloggers) advocate for starting out with your own blog/medium profile/e-book/whatever...but IMO this approach is way too slow. It can take YEARS for a blog to become profitable in many cases...and you basically have to start your own personal brand in the process.

(Unfortunately the people pushing this approach on new writers usually have something to gain or a course to sell.)

It's far easier to begin writing by "ghostwriting."

This is where you don't get credited for your work. On the plus side, tho, you deal with clients/companies that are actually willing to pay to get things written right now.

Once you do have a body of work out there floating around on the internet, then you can worry about building a portfolio site, personal brand, selling your work as a product, etc.

JamesGatz

Hey- could you elaborate on this? What types of things are you selling and how does it work? How do you get started?
Thanks!
Thanks for the idea! So you're doing this right now? How would you recommend getting started?

I researched dropshipping several years ago but the people who were marketing it seemed kind of scammy...plus not a huge fan marketing/sales unless the products involved are REALLY great.
Step 1 - create a shopping site with a free trial (Shopify is really easy for example and for most of these sites you can complete everything in the scope of the free trial) - (free)

Step 2 - figure out what you are going to sell (your niche)- (free - this process never stops - keeping up with trends and adjusting is important)

Step 3 - find suppliers for these products (this is the hard part - a lot of guys think they can just easily wing some aliexpress supplier in China and it is a done deal - you need to ensure quality for your products is good and that shipping is reasonable - if you find a supplier in China the average shipping time is 30+ days for all of the products I was trying to dropship and then you need samples to quality- check yourself because with China you really never know what you're receiving sometimes in terms of product

This is why this is the most important part. It's easy to advertise your products if the product is good - if it's useful and the quality doesn't disappoint marketing is a lot easier on you and you don't have to deal with returns or negative feedback as much - but finding a good quality product with a reasonable supplier that checks the boxes is much easier said than done, but the good news is once you have this done the next steps are a lot easier.

Step 4 - list the products - focus on improving your site in terms of looks and experience and it's ready for marketing - figure out your audience for what you're selling and run ads on social media or other platforms targeting those specific audiences. Learn what gets your site the most traffic and continue growing.

Dropshipping isn't a scam I would say it just seems like it is because the majority of guys getting into it aren't willing to spend a lot of time and effort into steps 3 and 4 - these steps are really important for success and it becomes what you make of it, creativity is a huge help here.

gaze

if in a pinch and need some money, uber, uber eats, door dash, etc. can be actually be decent ways to make some cash while you find your next job

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

if in a pinch and need some money, uber, uber eats, door dash, etc. can be actually be decent ways to make some cash while you find your next job
Oh yeah good point.

These gigs aren't worth it in the small town I live in, but they sure could be in cities.

taralynne

T
Hi all! This forum has really helped me with health stuff, & this may be the best way I'm able to give back to all you awesome folks here!

Here's an idea for anyone who's lost their job, or thinks they may lose it in the future. (I mentioned this in the log Blossom started but figured it might deserve a thread of its own.)

YOU NEED TO ENJOY WRITING FOR THIS TO WORK. You also need to be naturally good at it. For whatever reason, all good writers are intelligent...but not all intelligent people are good writers.

How it works

I've been a freelance writer/copywriter for 2 years now. I probably quit my 'real' job too early, but within the last 6 months my writing career has built some momentum and things are good.

At any given time I have 5-10 writing clients. Almost all of them are health/wellness/fitness companies. These clients give me regular assignments, or, in some cases, I develop content plans for them and then also write the content.

This work requires a love for writing, research, and more research. Researching a topic and then distilling info down into a helpful guide is almost like solving a puzzle.

These days most of my work is billed by the word @10-20 cents/word. I can write 2,000-3,000 words per day, so this is a pretty good rate, particularly if you're working 5+ days/week. Expenses are pretty low - just a computer, Grammarly, Copyscape, and maybe an SEO program - so net income is a large percentage of gross income. At a certain point starting an LLC and writing off stuff thru it is a good idea.

How to get started

If you're just starting out with writing, you may want to sign up as a freelancer on [JOB SITE]. You can apply for a wide variety of writing gigs there. You may have to start at a lower rate (like 5 cents/word) until you have a body of work built up. Over time you can move away from [JOB SITE] with long-term clients that pay better. This is exactly how I got started.

If you're interested in trying this then let me know and I can help more...I have a client account on [JOB SITE] that I could hire you thru solely to give you a first good review. With this review you should be able to attract bigger clients.

The key is to just practice practice practice. 1000 words a day or more, even if it's via this forum.

Also try to find a somewhat technical niche to write in. This will separate you from the non-English speakers (and their painfully low rates lol) who are also out there vying for jobs.

* Solid income potential (especially over time, and especially if you turn articles into assets via ebooks, blogs, etc)
* Freedom to work from anywhere, travel, spend time with family, spend plenty of time outside

Please feel free to reach out here or via PMs if you'd like more info. Yah bless!
Thanks so much... It sound like a great gig.

Elie

Forum Supporter

How it works

How to get started

How do you charge for editing? meaning what is the formula there (versus 10-20 cents per word for writing)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals