Increasing SERT (serotonin Transporter)

M

member 6316

So fast SERT is linked to less stress and the slower SERT the more prone to stress you are. SSRI they slow down SERT which increases Serotonin in the synapses. In my opinion serotonin is probably the worst neurotransmitter/hormone especially in high amounts in the brain.
So by Increasing SERT we can get less active serotonin in the brain and that means less Serotonin receptor activity . There are serotonin receptors all over the brain also in the fear regions like the Amygdala. So an Very slow SERT lead to high serotonin receptor activity = more amygdala activity = More anxiety/fear in person.
So increasing SERT would be the opposite. Thats what I wanna do. I recently did a genetic test online (dont know how accurate they are) it said I have fewer serotonin transporters and sensetive serotonin receptors they dont get desensitized so serotonin always have an big effect on me.

I came across this Area-1255: Natural Herbal SERT (Serotonin Transporter) Activators Supplements 2017

there are only a Few supplements that can increase SERT.. Im starting Bacopa soon to hopefully reduce my serotonin.
Has anyone else tried either of the supplements on the link?

Wagner83

I thought I read bacopa was serotonergic in the long run? I'm curious about berberine, there seems to be good feedback on it with a pretty broad range of benefits (if you believe on reviews!).

Sucrates

So fast SERT is linked to less stress and the slower SERT the more prone to stress you are. SSRI they slow down SERT which increases Serotonin in the synapses. In my opinion serotonin is probably the worst neurotransmitter/hormone especially in high amounts in the brain.
Not really helpful to what you're asking as prozac isn't something worth taking, but some "SSRIs" seem to increase SERT and decrease synaptic serotonin, at last after a period of weeks. I think they might decrease it during the initial (go postal) 6 weeks or so, acouple of papers speculate a later increase above baseline due to a "hormetic effect" or "rebound".

OP
M

member 6316

Not really helpful to what you're asking as prozac isn't something worth taking, but some "SSRIs" seem to increase SERT and decrease synaptic serotonin, at last after a period of weeks. I think they might decrease it during the initial (go postal) 6 weeks or so, acouple of papers speculate a later increase above baseline due to a "hormetic effect" or "rebound".
I was just mentioning how SSRI work so people that dont know much about SERT can get an idea what im talking about- Of course Im not saying take an SSRI .

Sucrates

I was just mentioning how SSRI work so people that dont know much about SERT can get an idea what im talking about- Of course Im not saying take an SSRI .
Yeah, I know, but it seems like they work in the opposite way on SERT and in the synapse.

OP
M

member 6316

Yeah, I know, but it seems like they work in the opposite way on SERT and in the synapse.
oh I didnt know that. Which SSRIs were used in this study and does it matter if the dosage was low or high?

Makrosky

I still don't understand why pubmed is full of studies of people being relieved from depression using all sorts of serotonergic compounds (ssri's, tryptophan, 5-htp, maois, st. Johns wort, etc.)

OP
M

member 6316

I still don't understand why pubmed is full of studies of people being relieved from depression using all sorts of serotonergic compounds (ssri's, tryptophan, 5-htp, maois, st. Johns wort, etc.)
maybe fake reviews/studies

OP
M

member 6316

I thought I read bacopa was serotonergic in the long run? I'm curious about berberine, there seems to be good feedback on it with a pretty broad range of benefits (if you believe on reviews!).
let us know if you end up trying berberine, we need peoples experiences with these SERT activators on here .

Sucrates

oh I didnt know that. Which SSRIs were used in this study and does it matter if the dosage was low or high?
I've only seen them test fluoxetine (Prozac), not sure on dosing but I think they were attempting to assess mechanism of action.

Sucrates

SSRIs increase allopregnanolone. Allopregnanolone cures depressive behavior in animals, it also has some negative associations with eating disorders in humans, indicating it might "oppose" serotonin. There's spontaneous improvement and placebo too, no doubt some fraud and possibly the fact that (some) SSRIs seem to decrease serotonin in the synapse might help.

OP
M

member 6316

SSRIs increase allopregnanolone. Allopregnanolone cures depressive behavior in animals, it also has some negative associations with eating disorders in humans, indicating it might "oppose" serotonin. There's spontaneous improvement and placebo too, no doubt some fraud and possibly the fact that (some) SSRIs seem to decrease serotonin in the synapse might help.
hmm might try prozac out then. progesterone when taken orally lots of it is converted to allopregnanolone.
Progesterone seems to increase TGF-beta and TGF-beta will cause SERT upregulation. Progesterone (R, R2, R3) – increased TGF in epithelial cells…which are all over the body.
Maybe thats how Fluoxetine upregulates SERT?

Last edited by a moderator:

allblues

@Sucrates Do you have any of those studies on hand where they touch on possible increased SERT activity after SSRI admin?
I've been trying to understand the ins and outs of these drugs for some time now and a few (many) things are still unclear to me.

Especially annoying is the lack of any studies ranging longer than 30 days. They administer mice with SSRIs for 30 days and call it a
study on chronic SSRI treatment. Mice don't live as long as humans, perhaps this is in order?

Another thing is muddy language. "Reduced serotonin levels" seems to most often mean reduced intracellular (tissue?) serotonin levels,
which when you're dealing with a SSRI often seems go along with increased extracellular levels, since the thing which regulates serotonin levels in the extracellular, by bringing it into the intracellular space, the transporter, is inhibited. Uncontrolled extracellular levels of serotonin seems bad.

Figuring out what happens to SERT after SSRI treatment seems important since there's plenty of studies on not-good things happening
when SERT genes are knocked out, and in other instances where SERT function is compromised.

About increasing SERT activity, there's studies on nicotine and zinc doing this, and also, vitamin E inhibits protein kinase C,
which can phosphorylate and inhibit the function of SERT.

Last edited:

Makrosky

I'm aware of the allopregnanolone thing. We repeat it over and over on this forum like a mantra. Serious question : really, you never heard of the myriad of people gettin relieved of depressive symptoms with serotonergic substances that have nothing to do with SSRIs? Forget about prozac and stuff. We are talking about 5htp, tryptophan, saffron, st johns wort, substances with imao properties, etc.

I really doubt any of those has anything to do even remotely with allopreg.

And then we have antiserotonin substances which also relieve depression.

Which leaves me puzzled.

Frankdee20

Yeah well some will say those serotoninergic substances alleviate depression via ACTH and Cortisol mechanisms, which are bad in the long run. I don’t know man, I don’t know.

But SJW has various mechanisms effecting various chemicals.

OP
M

member 6316

I've only seen them test fluoxetine (Prozac), not sure on dosing but I think they were attempting to assess mechanism of action.
do you know if that also counts for dopamine transporter? Sertraline is the only ssri that blocks DAT. like you said in study it increased SERT above baseline , would it also increase DAT above baseline after 6 weeks or just SERT alone?

Soren

Forum Supporter
Thiamine perhaps might have some effect on SERT levels. High doses of Thiamine were shown to alleviate tremor and gait in people with Parkinson's disease, there is evidence to show that serotonin is a primary culprit in PD: Tremor In Parkinson Disease (PD) Is Due To High Serotonin

Here is a study that showed that thiamine deficiency increased serotonin synthesis and impeded the expulsion of serotonin from the brain which might explain partially why supplementation with Thiamine has the beneficial effect on PD. Perhaps it has some kind of effect on SERT levels.
Effect of thiamine deficiency on brain serotonin turnover.
"These results suggest that acute thiamine deficiency, induced by PT, both increases brain 5-HT synthesis and impairs 5-HIAA efflux from the brain. There is a close correlation between neurological manifestations and changes in brain 5-HT metabolism in acute thiamine deficiency."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals