Increasing stomach acidity and crocodiles

Apple

I use betaine HCL only occasionally since I don't like to be dependent on supplements.
Salt - while it is supposed to increase stomach acid I haven't noticed that. It actually can inflame your stomach if taken in excess and ruin stomach lining.
Coffee helps, but it has side effects: trypsin inhibitor , cholinesterase inhibitor, increase in intestinal permiability, vasoconstriction and addictive. :(
RP mentioned that increasing thyroid function helps.
Baking soda - No, it kills digestion.
High calcium foods - rather negative on stomach acidity
Lemon juice - don't drink it close to meal, it stops acid secretion , one hour away from meals is probably ok
Apple cider vinegar - I had lots of hopes but got frustrated , it just irritates stomach (pain) and I would need a day or two to recover.

Anyway, healthy people generally don't need salt or any other substance to maintain adequate stomach acidity, regardless of their thyroid status or diet.

Did you know that crocodiles have the most acidic stomach among animals ?
The heart helps to make the crocodile's digestion the most efficient in the animal kingdom. After a meal the heart directs deoxygenated blood, rich in acidic carbon dioxide, to the stomach. The blood stimulates the production of the most acidic gastric juices known in nature. Crocodiles can secrete stomach acid 10 times faster than any other animal.
They can stay under water (without oxigen) up to 24 hours.
Crocodiles are superresilient to most known cancerogens and are almost immortal under right conditions. 100 yo crocodile has the same vigor as a young one.

I guess bag breathing so as to cause carbon dioxide retention is a way to go. They call it hypercapnia. Studies indicate that hypercapnia leads to increased stomach acidity.

Last edited:

pondering

I’ve read that zinc is fairly important for stomach acid, as are potassium, vitamin B5 and choline.

TheSir

I’ve read that zinc is fairly important for stomach acid, as are potassium, vitamin B5 and choline.
Second that. It's also important to be still and relax as much as possible after a meal. Anything that drives the body towards sympathetic mode will sabotage digestion.

I guess bag breathing so as to cause carbon dioxide retention is a way to go. They call it hypercapnia. Studies indicate that hypercapnia leads to increased stomach acidity
Increasing co2 tolerance has a powerful positive effect on digestion (advanced breathwork can eventually yield the ability to digest even cartilage and tiny bones). Never do this after a meal, however. It can be very harmful to your intestines.

Ainaga

Second that. It's also important to be still and relax as much as possible after a meal. Anything that drives the body towards sympathetic mode will sabotage digestion.

Increasing co2 tolerance has a powerful positive effect on digestion (advanced breathwork can eventually yield the ability to digest even cartilage and tiny bones). Never do this after a meal, however. It can be very harmful to your intestines.
does co2 increase when you inhale and hold your breath, or when you exhale and hold your breath?

TheSir

does co2 increase when you inhale and hold your breath, or when you exhale and hold your breath?
Overall reduction in airflow per minute matters the most, and it can be achieved with either technique. You could alsp just take smaller or slower breaths. The goal is that you eliminate co2 a little slower than what your cells produce it, leading to a higher co2 saturation. After maintaining elevated saturation for ~15 mins the body will accept it as a new default.

mostlylurking

I use betaine HCL only occasionally since I don't like to be dependent on supplements.
Salt - while it is supposed to increase stomach acid I haven't noticed that. It actually can inflame your stomach if taken in excess and ruin stomach lining.
Coffee helps, but it has side effects: trypsin inhibitor , cholinesterase inhibitor, increase in intestinal permiability, vasoconstriction and addictive. :(
Lemon juice - don't drink it close to meal, it stops acid secretion , one hour away from meals is probably ok
Apple cider vinegar - I had lots of hopes but got frustrated , it just irritates stomach (pain) and I would need a day or two to recover.

Anyway, healthy people generally don't need salt or any other substance to maintain adequate stomach acidity, regardless of their thyroid status or diet.

The heart helps to make the crocodile's digestion the most efficient in the animal kingdom. After a meal the heart directs deoxygenated blood, rich in acidic carbon dioxide, to the stomach. The blood stimulates the production of the most acidic gastric juices known in nature. Crocodiles can secrete stomach acid 10 times faster than any other animal.
Crocodiles are superresilient to most known cancerogens and are almost immortal under right conditions. 100 yo crocodile has the same vigor as a young one.

I guess bag breathing so as to cause carbon dioxide retention is a way to go. They call it hypercapnia. Studies indicate that hypercapnia leads to increased stomach acidity.
High dose thiamine hcl normalized my stomach acid which had been very low for many years. Thiamine is needed for the autonomic nervous system, which controls all steps of digestion, to work properly. Thiamine normalizes/optimizes oxidative metabolism which results in increased carbon dioxide. Thiamine is also known to be a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.

Your alligators and carbon dioxide is a connection that made me think. As easy as a primarily milk and orange juice diet could be I couldn’t help but think the lack of chewing was not only not good for face muscles, but now I am wondering if diluting stomach acids in the stomach is a good idea. I suppose for some with a damaged digestion system it would be like feeding a baby, but that isn’t me. I always keep liquids away from foods as to not dilute my stomach acids. I wonder if not just bag breathing would be good, but just challenging onself to hold their breath while driving and doing other things may be something beneficial? I never think to bag breathing, and when I do it is hard to just sit and do nothing for that long. To contribute to your better digestion subject, adding fruit or raw honey ten minutes before eating a meal, as Ray Peat suggested, would be a good practice to encourage natural stomach acids, which is something I don’t do but will try to practice.

View: https://youtu.be/aAkcGGoFMe0?si=0nVZGYbyHILflYjh

What foods neutralize stomach acid immediately?
From sources across the web
1705940817788.jpeg

Ginger

1705940817807.jpeg

Fennel

1705940817825.jpeg

Milk

1705940817845.jpeg

Vegetables

images

Oatmeal

licensed-image

Banana

images

Chamomile tea

images

Non-citrus fruits

images

Coconut water

Apple cider vinegar

Baking soda

Lean meats

Ainaga

Overall reduction in airflow per minute matters the most, and it can be achieved with either technique. You could alsp just take smaller or slower breaths. The goal is that you eliminate co2 a little slower than what your cells produce it, leading to a higher co2 saturation. After maintaining elevated saturation for ~15 mins the body will accept it as a new default.
if the buteyko method is intended to increase co2, do you know why they teach holding breath after expiring instead of inspiring? there must be a difference, no? i find the first calms me, while the latter revs me up. if both increase co2, what else is happening that they feel completely different?

Sodium chloride increases the alkalinity in the stomach and not the acidity

TheSir

if the buteyko method is intended to increase co2, do you know why they teach holding breath after expiring instead of inspiring? there must be a difference, no? i find the first calms me, while the latter revs me up. if both increase co2, what else is happening that they feel completely different?
Yeah, very much due to reasons you observed. To a degree, reducing breathing goes hand in hand with increasing relaxation. Inhale is sympathetic and exhale parasympathetic. So by holding the exhale you are maximizing parasympathetic response, and thus reducing hyperventilation by sympathetic drive.

OP
Apple

Apple

Your alligators and carbon dioxide is a connection that made me think. As easy as a primarily milk and orange juice diet could be I couldn’t help but think the lack of chewing was not only not good for face muscles, but now I am wondering if diluting stomach acids in the stomach is a good idea. I suppose for some with a damaged digestion system it would be like feeding a baby, but that isn’t me. I always keep liquids away from foods as to not dilute my stomach acids. I wonder if not just bag breathing would be good, but just challenging onself to hold their breath while driving and doing other things may be something beneficial? I never think to bag breathing, and when I do it is hard to just sit and do nothing for that long. To contribute to your better digestion subject, adding fruit or raw honey ten minutes before eating a meal, as Ray Peat suggested, would be a good practice to encourage natural stomach acids, which is something I don’t do but will try to practice.
I don't really think stomach acidity is that important unless you swallow big chunks of meat and bones like crocodile.
I even find that milk stimulates digestion. (milk, beer, wine ,coffee, tea ...all have the ability to stimulate stomach acid secretion) .
I easily eat meat and drink milk after, feel good.
Problem with milk is usually related to lactose, especially if you also eat starches in excess and sugars (fruit, honey, white sugar) , together they can feed wrong bacteria that create d-lactic acidosis or produce methane .

Last edited:
I don't really think stomach acidity is that important unless you swallow big chunks of meat and bones like crocodile.
I even find that milk stimulates digestion. (milk, beer, wine ,coffee, tea ...all have the ability to stimulate stomach acid secretion) .
I easily eat meat and drink milk after, feel good.
Problem with milk is usually related to lactose, especially if you also eat starches in excess and sugars (fruit, honey, white sugar) , together they can feed wrong bacteria that create d-lactic acidosis or produce methane .
Good point. I don’t eat starches much, which is probably why I have a gut of steel, and can digest anything. I have noticed that drinking milk alone stimulates my appetite. The bitter in beer, wine, coffee and tea stimulates the liver, but sugar sources are a new one to me lately.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals