Insulin Resistance Cause...?

Katelove

I am curious what y'all think of this discussion of insulin resistance...I thought the Randle Cycle explains that fat causes insulin resistance, then I watch this and this feeds my confusion. I have eaten high carb, low fat diet and was losing weight and my insulin levels were coming down but my blood glucose was going very high (over 300 fasting, yes my MD is aware). I am looking for some insights that could help me further.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd8QFD5Ht18

Peatful

Just in case you haven’t read:

youngsinatra

High free fatty acids cause insulin resistance via the Randle Effect.

Does not matter if it comes from excess dietary fat or from adipose tissue. I think adipose tissue is a way more significant contributor than dietary fat, especially if a person has eaten a lot of PUFAs in their lifetime and accumulated them in their adipose tissues.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

High free fatty acids cause insulin resistance via the Randle Effect.

Does not matter if it comes from excess dietary fat or from adipose tissue. I think adipose tissue is a way more significant contributor than dietary fat, especially if a person has eaten a lot of PUFAs in their lifetime and accumulated them in their adipose tissues.
So then my next question is about when you are losing weight on a low fat diet...do the FFAs that are being released as you lose weight, continue the cycle? Because I have been on a very low fat diet, have 90 lbs or so to lose and was losing weight at about 5 lbs a month...but my fasting blood glucose continued to be very high. My instinct was to keep going, knowing eventually I would lose a lot of fat (although I was losing muscle too, due to low protein) If it takes a year, is it safe to keep going?

OP
Katelove

Katelove

So then my next question is about when you are losing weight on a low fat diet...do the FFAs that are being released as you lose weight, continue the cycle? Because I have been on a very low fat diet, have 90 lbs or so to lose and was losing weight at about 5 lbs a month...but my fasting blood glucose continued to be very high. My instinct was to keep going, knowing eventually I would lose a lot of fat (although I was losing muscle too, due to low protein) If it takes a year, is it safe to keep going?

OP
Katelove

Katelove

Just in case you haven’t read:

Thank you.

youngsinatra

I don‘t know. I would imagine that such high blood glucose can be very damaging over months and months — to your heart, kidneys and brain. What does your MD think about it?

I‘d possibly consider a different route to lose weight and keep your blood glucose better in check in the meanwhile.

Have you ever considered a ketogenic diet / intermittent fasting regimen to speed up betaoxidation of adipose fat?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EsWOXgnk5Ko

OP
Katelove

Katelove

I don‘t know. I would imagine that such high blood glucose can be very damaging over months and months — to your heart, kidneys and brain. What does your MD think about it?

I‘d possibly consider a different route to lose weight and keep your blood glucose better in check in the meanwhile.

Have you ever considered a ketogenic diet / intermittent fasting regimen to speed up betaoxidation of adipose fat?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EsWOXgnk5Ko

I am confused then about the Randle cycle info if I am eating so much fat on a Keto diet. Is this addressed in this video?

Kram

Just my opinion. If you're really trying to lose weight, going with high (lean) protein and lowish carb and fat intake makes the most sense. This will allow your body to go into ketosis and tap into you fat stores (but this isn't optimal long-term). Once the weight has come off, then i'd try slowly increasing carb intake and using things like low dose B1, B3 and pyrucet to lower FFA and shift your cells back to glucose oxidation.

I think it can be hard to lose lots of weight on a high carb diet since your body is focused on burning sugar instead of fat.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

Just my opinion. If you're really trying to lose weight, going with high (lean) protein and lowish carb and fat intake makes the most sense. This will allow your body to go into ketosis and tap into you fat stores (but this isn't optimal long-term). Once the weight has come off, then i'd try slowly increasing carb intake and using things like low dose B1, B3 and pyrucet to lower FFA and shift your cells back to glucose oxidation.

I think it can be hard to lose lots of weight on a high carb diet since your body is focused on burning sugar instead of fat.
Thanks Kram. I was losing weight on low fat, high carb, about 5 lbs a month...losing some muscle too though. But anyway, I appreciate your advice. I am considering this...but how do you really find satiation on low carb and low fat? Lean protein and non starchy veg I guess.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

Thanks Kram. I was losing weight on low fat, high carb, about 5 lbs a month...losing some muscle too though. But anyway, I appreciate your advice. I am considering this...but how do you really find satiation on low carb and low fat? Lean protein and non starchy veg I guess.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

What do you eat exactly low carb?
I don't eat low carb. I eat low fat. I eat mostly plant foods, starches, fruit, some sugar. and don't add fat to anything. I was having abou 10g of fat a day.

Serge

I don't eat low carb. I eat low fat. I eat mostly plant foods, starches, fruit, some sugar. and don't add fat to anything. I was having abou 10g of fat a day.
I meant low fat, sorry. What worked for me is to eat extremely simplistic, 1-2 products only. Took 10 days for the (morning) blood glucose to fall into the almost normal range of a healthy person as opposed to over 180 as it was before. And now I'm going to add one by one product to see what happens. I also eat less than 10g fat. Whaen I was doing high carb eating multiple foods, it never worked for me either.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals