Iron Metabolism And Liver Health

supernature

Low vitamin D and inflammation in general also raises hepcidin

I also read that anemia and hypoxia can increase the absorption and recycling of Iron, cause the body is trying to hold on to more Iron for compensatory erythropoiesis as this is normal protective mechanism of the body meant to conserve life.

With state of hypoxia- decreased O2 delivery to cells (as this increases the absorption and recycling of Iron), doesnt this interfere with Peat's approach to increase CO2 in tissues, as hypoxia could be related with already increased CO2 levels, while he also warns of the iron accumulation and dangers ?

tara

With state of hypoxia- decreased O2 delivery to cells (as this increases the absorption and recycling of Iron), doesnt this interfere with Peat's approach to increase CO2 in tissues, as hypoxia could be related with already increased CO2 levels, while he also warns of the iron accumulation and dangers ?
Are you thinking that all Peat's suggestions for improving CO2 levels (and Buteyko method, and pranayama etc) would help protect against excess iron accumulation? That would be nice.

supernature

If rising CO2 levels heals hypoxia, that should be just fine right (if we assume one has low Iron body stores as anemia and hypoxia are accounted with and stimulating iron absorption and recycling at same time as counter move), as this gonna lower Hepcidin and that would allow more iron to be absorbed through intestines via Ferroportin and rising blood iron via Transferrin.

Probably this wouldnt be so wise if one's iron body stores are already high enough as well as its pCO2 levels, as nothing moves just in one direction and w/o affecting other things.

"Buteyko discovered that his body's carbon dioxide level was lower than recommended. It was known that over breathing lowered carbon dioxide levels in the body. He theorised that if his low levels were caused by over-breathing, then by correcting his breathing he may be able to cure his disorder."

Im not pretty sure if everybody should fall in just one category, i.e. everybody should increase CO2 as general no matter the values. There is no constants here but w/o knowing where you at, pushing just one particular pedal might not be always the right solution, so testing and making decisions looks way more desirable, just as stated in the quote.

tara

Hyperventilation (low CO2 levels) tends to produce tissue hypoxia - you need good CO2 levels to deliver oxygen (Bohr effect).
There are situations when high CO2 goes with hypoxia too - eg drowning or maybe COPD.

Im not pretty sure if everybody should fall in just one category, i.e. everybody should increase CO2 as general no matter the values.
I agree - there are some people who should probably not practice reduced breathing in their current states. People who already have good CO2 levels don't need to increase them, people with ventilation-perfusion issues in the lungs may be prone to too high CO2, and some people hyperventilate as protection from other problems that are best attended to first (eg diabetic acidosis). But it's probably not that hard to get a rough idea how one's CO2 levels are (eg by measuring CP), And chronic hyperventilation seems fairly common, so for us improving CO2 levels probably does usually mean increasing them - and perhaps thereby allowing iron to lower somewhat.

Probably this wouldnt be so wise if one's iron body stores are already high enough as well as its pCO2 levels, as nothing moves just in one direction and w/o affecting other things.
Not sure I understood this. If iron stores are too high, and CO2 low, would not raising CO2 and so reducing iron retention and absorption be helpful?

supernature

Not sure I understood this. If iron stores are too high, and CO2 low, would not raising CO2 and so reducing iron retention and absorption be helpful?

This is exactly what i was pointing to with the 1st 2 sent of my prev post: if one is in low CO2 state, hypoxia or/and anemia and rising CO2 gonna increase the absorption of iron as this is decreasing hepcidin, increasing ferroportin and should decrease the retention of iron. There will be increased iron absorption, but decreased iron retention, as this will happen in low hepcidin state, not high as is with decreased iron absorption and increased iron retention.

Absorption and recycling used interchangeably for low hepcidin state (high liver export and high intestines import) via high Ferroportin, retention should be linked to high hepcidin state (low liver export and low intestines import) via low Ferroportin.

Last edited:

Mito

What the optimal levels of estrogen and cortisol are I don't know but judging from studies on healthy children, the optimal levels seem to be in the bottom 15% of the range currently defined as healthy for adults.
If prolactin is a good surrogate for tissue levels of estrogen, would optimal prolactin levels also be in the bottom 15% of the reference range?

haidut

Forum Supporter
If prolactin is a good surrogate for tissue levels of estrogen, would optimal prolactin levels also be in the bottom 15% of the reference range?

I think so. Peat said that the prolactin range has been consistently redefined to include higher and higher values as normal. Back in 1970, a prolactin of 12 would be considered high, while now it is close to middle of the range. I think optimal would be below 5. Prolactin, just like cortisol, is both a chronic and acute stress biomarker so it is OK to rise every once in while when under stress but it should go down over the next few days if the stress abates. So, single tests would not necessarily mean much but it is consistently over 12 then I it suggests higher estrogen and lower thyroid.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals