Is Pasteruzied Milk Really So Inferior To Raw Milk?

The other factors in milk, I think are definitely more important than it being raw vs pasteurized. Things like organic, 100% grass fed, and probably 100% A2A2 are more important than milk being raw.
Im not sure on homogenization. It’s obviously important also to get a milk with no added vitamin additives and filler ingredients which can be hard to find.
+1

For the same 8-ounce glass of milk, the protein is a third less in the pasteurized milk, without much fat difference between the two.
1698342341216.jpeg

1698342369116.jpeg

“This systematic review demonstrates that dairy processing significantly affects protein quality and can be used as a tool to steer gastrointestinal protein digestion. Glycation as a result of heat processing decreases protein digestibility and amino acid availability, leading to a decrease in protein quality. Oxidation, racemization, dephosphorylation, and cross-linking are less well studied chemical modifications that may impact protein quality as well as digestibility.”

Dr. B

For the same 8-ounce glass of milk, the protein is a third less in the pasteurized milk, without much fat difference between the two.
View attachment 57368
View attachment 57369
Can you clarify? Both list 8 grams protein per 8 oz. Also that is the number ive seen on all milks, 8g protein per cup for cow milk raw or pasteurized.

Supposedly sheeps milk is much more solid and has double the fat and double the protein per 8oz cup. So even though its expensive you basically are getting more calories and protein and fat in an 8oz cup

Dr. B

View attachment 57368
View attachment 57369

Whats going on with the iron, 6% DV per cup? You will basically get a days worth of iron from a half gallon. The rda is 8mg or more but Peat said 4mg is more appropriate

@Jennifer have you seen this, 6% DV iron per cup of raw milk? I thought it was only camel milk thats so high in iron

Can you clarify? Both list 8 grams protein per 8 oz. Also that is the number ive seen on all milks, 8g protein per cup for cow milk raw or pasteurized.

Supposedly sheeps milk is much more solid and has double the fat and double the protein per 8oz cup. So even though its expensive you basically are getting more calories and protein and fat in an 8oz cup
I’m sorry I meant to say calcium is one third less.

Jennifer

Whats going on with the iron, 6% DV per cup? You will basically get a days worth of iron from a half gallon. The rda is 8mg or more but Peat said 4mg is more appropriate

@Jennifer have you seen this, 6% DV iron per cup of raw milk? I thought it was only camel milk thats so high in iron

I had a conversation about this with Mossy in an other thread. The Raw Farm brand is the only one I’ve seen with 6% iron, but it’s also the only farm I know of selling raw milk with a label. Mossy said the pasteurized milk in their fridge showed 0% per serving so they concluded iron must be higher in raw milk but thinking about it more, from my understanding, minerals in food aren’t degraded by heat so I’m not sure why it contains so much iron compared to other milk. 🤷🏻‍♀️

“Many people understand that there is just about no iron in the common Pasteurized Milk you purchase for your local market. You know that they are right, pasteurized milk is very low in iron content. The common practice of feeding the cows grain instead of iron rich grass helps to keep the content of iron in the milk low.”

“In Raw Milk the amount of iron is much higher. In fact it is around 194% greater than pasteurized milk. While raw milk may not be the largest supplier of iron in the nutrition area it is not about void like pasteurized milk. In raw milk the enzymes are alive and well, which aids in the absorption of minerals.”

Dr. B

I had a conversation about this with Mossy in an other thread. The Raw Farm brand is the only one I’ve seen with 6% iron, but it’s also the only farm I know of selling raw milk with a label. Mossy said the pasteurized milk in their fridge showed 0% per serving so they concluded iron must be higher in raw milk but thinking about it more, from my understanding, minerals in food aren’t degraded by heat so I’m not sure why it contains so much iron compared to other milk. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I do remember reading somewhere that camel milk has like 1mg iron per cup! But it also possibly has more of the stuff to help bind the iron?

“Many people understand that there is just about no iron in the common Pasteurized Milk you purchase for your local market. You know that they are right, pasteurized milk is very low in iron content. The common practice of feeding the cows grain instead of iron rich grass helps to keep the content of iron in the milk low.”

“In Raw Milk the amount of iron is much higher. In fact it is around 194% greater than pasteurized milk. While raw milk may not be the largest supplier of iron in the nutrition area it is not about void like pasteurized milk. In raw milk the enzymes are alive and well, which aids in the absorption of minerals.”

They mentioned pasteurized milk but it seems theyre saying its the grass feeding that creates iron rich milk? So even if pasteurized, a 100% grass fed milk will have more iron?

Also raw milk isnt guaranteed to be grass fed, some of the raw milk farms dont claim to be grass fed, some of them openly admit to using corn or grains

Jennifer

Thanks, Rinse. I thought maybe it had to do with the animal’s diet, but even the pasteurized milk from 100% grass-fed cows that I’ve seen have 0% iron on the label:

AlaskaJono

I do remember reading somewhere that camel milk has like 1mg iron per cup! But it also possibly has more of the stuff to help bind the iron?

They mentioned pasteurized milk but it seems theyre saying its the grass feeding that creates iron rich milk? So even if pasteurized, a 100% grass fed milk will have more iron?

Also raw milk isnt guaranteed to be grass fed, some of the raw milk farms dont claim to be grass fed, some of them openly admit to using corn or grains
I had access to Camel Milk a few years ago. It is expensive, and was recommended for severely compromised immune system folks. ??? Anyhow, It is salty, and pricey, and Raw milk would be more value and taste and nutrition, in my experience.

Currently we are getting NON-HOMogenized but pasteurized milk, some organic some non organic from the same local farm. Occasionally we get some fresh raw milk, but not steady at all. A real treat. MMMMmmmm.

Remember folks that minerals come from the SOIL, so if the soil is deficient in specific minerals, then the plant will not have access to it to pull up through the roots. Recall the "pumpkin seeds are an aphrodisiac' trend 25-30 years ago? Turns out the high Zinc attributed to the seeds in general were because the pumpkin seeds at that time were imported from SERBIA. Serbian fields where pumpkins were grown were naturally high in zinc. Therefore... be nice to Mother Earth.

Dr. B

Thanks, Rinse. I thought maybe it had to do with the animal’s diet, but even the pasteurized milk from 100% grass-fed cows that I’ve seen have 0% iron on the label:

I think theyre not testing for it possibly. Because it should have 0.1mg iron per cup i believe. I think these brands listing 0 may not be testing or maybe if its under 0.5mg they can just put zero

I had access to Camel Milk a few years ago. It is expensive, and was recommended for severely compromised immune system folks. ??? Anyhow, It is salty, and pricey, and Raw milk would be more value and taste and nutrition, in my experience.

Currently we are getting NON-HOMogenized but pasteurized milk, some organic some non organic from the same local farm. Occasionally we get some fresh raw milk, but not steady at all. A real treat. MMMMmmmm.

Remember folks that minerals come from the SOIL, so if the soil is deficient in specific minerals, then the plant will not have access to it to pull up through the roots. Recall the "pumpkin seeds are an aphrodisiac' trend 25-30 years ago? Turns out the high Zinc attributed to the seeds in general were because the pumpkin seeds at that time were imported from SERBIA. Serbian fields where pumpkins were grown were naturally high in zinc. Therefore... be nice to Mother Earth.

Yes camel milk is the most expensive ive seen. Buffalo is also pricy. Sheep is pricy but supposedly has a lot more protein and fat per cup because it has less liquid to it. They say it has double the milk solids, if true it means it has double the fat and protein per cup compared to other milks?

Jennifer

I think theyre not testing for it possibly. Because it should have 0.1mg iron per cup i believe. I think these brands listing 0 may not be testing or maybe if its under 0.5mg they can just put zero

Yeah, it’s weird that Maple Hill lists the iron content as 0 mg when Organic Valley and Kalona, as well as the two brands I have, list it as 0.1 mg/0% iron. If I look at it from a purely physiological perspective and why Ray said milk is deficient in iron, I’m inclined to believe Ray.

Dr. B

Yeah, it’s weird that Maple Hill lists the iron content as 0 mg when Organic Valley and Kalona, as well as the two brands I have, list it as 0.1 mg/0% iron. If I look at it from a purely physiological perspective and why Ray said milk is deficient in iron, I’m inclined to believe Ray.
The thing is i dont think he cared about grass fed milk and dont know if he examined it? He said he preferred the milk brands kirkland and lucerne which are costco and safeway/albertsons store brand milks… they arent organic arent A2 they are basically the same as any grocery store milk.
I think he eventually started getting raw milk from a farmer but I think his state had legal raw milk and i dont think it was grass fed, A2 etc
That link from rinse seemed to imply grass fed cows milk has more iron

I thought grains would have iron i guess only processed fortified grains do.

Jennifer

The thing is i dont think he cared about grass fed milk and dont know if he examined it? He said he preferred the milk brands kirkland and lucerne which are costco and safeway/albertsons store brand milks… they arent organic arent A2 they are basically the same as any grocery store milk.
I think he eventually started getting raw milk from a farmer but I think his state had legal raw milk and i dont think it was grass fed, A2 etc

The milk I posted is from 100% grass-fed cows, and the milk I have is from pastured goats and cows, and the labels show 0.1 mg (0%), but thinking about it purely from a physiological perspective, Ray said milk has low levels of iron because babies get most of their iron needs from their iron stores, which are accumulated during gestation so it makes sense to me that milk would be low in iron.

I agree, that there has to be more to it being the raw factor, because the two milks I compared, with the pics above, were both grass fed.

I agree with you here that he didn’t seem to endorse grass-fed so much, maybe because he was aiming for the calcium mostly? I hate to say it, but elderly people are usually pretty frugal, and weigh things differently when cost comes into play, especially food.

“Caller 2: I just started listening about 30-40 minutes ago, and you were talking about these sources being inorganic; so, would organic whole wheat, pasta, or organic meats, have less phosphate?

Peat: No, unless they've added it to one product and not the other. But, the way the animal is fed depends more on whether it has a lot of grass versus grains; the grains can be organic but they're still very high in phosphate. And so the animal will be slightly poisoned by eating them.

Sarah: So grass-fed meat and milk will have less phosphate than grain-fed, because grains are very high in phosphate, whole-wheat pasta has more than white (refined) pasta, for example.”

HD2: Well, yes I was saying to avoid the fats from pigs, chickens, turkeys and ducks: those animals are fed soy and corn, which means they will produce a bad fat. And I was saying if you were gonna eat meat , buy beef and lamb, they have the good saturated fat. It's a myth that it's a bad fat. It’s really the most natural fat. Grass-fed beef meat is of course ideal.

Caller: Ideal for what reason?

RP: The grass has a high content of vitamin E. And vitamin E is used primarily in the beef’s [rumens] to destroy the polyunsaturated fats. So, the more vitamin E in the diet, the lower the polyunsaturated fat content of the beef will be.

Caller: One of the things that I notice when I shop and I look at grass-fed beef, or the commercial beef, is that the grass-fed has a higher fat content.

RP: It's the ratio of saturated fat to unsaturated that is most important.

HD2: So a grain-fed cut of beef will have more polyunsaturated oils? Or just less vitamin E?

RP: Yes, less Vitamin E and more of the unsaturated fats. But it's mostly the low vitamin E that let’s the oil survive the rumen and get into the tissues. So it's the high percentage of polyunsaturated fat that’s the danger, not the quantity of it [on any given moment]. Because if you have lots and lots of perfectly saturated fat, that makes it relatively safe. Like normal beef is 98% saturated and about 2% polyunsaturated.”

Dr. B

The milk I posted is from 100% grass-fed cows, and the milk I have is from pastured goats and cows, and the labels show 0.1 mg (0%), but thinking about it purely from a physiological perspective, Ray said milk has low levels of iron because babies get most of their iron needs from their iron stores, which are accumulated during gestation so it makes sense to me that milk would be low in iron.

Is it similar for cows and other mammals.

I agree, that there has to be more to it being the raw factor, because the two milks I compared, with the pics above, were both grass fed.

Yes although one of the ones you posted didnt say 100% grass fed so it could be as low as 30% grass fed. The minimum for the grass fed label is 30% apparently

I agree with you here that he didn’t seem to endorse grass-fed so much, maybe because he was aiming for the calcium mostly? I hate to say it, but elderly people are usually pretty frugal, and weigh things differently when cost comes into play, especially food.

“Caller 2: I just started listening about 30-40 minutes ago, and you were talking about these sources being inorganic; so, would organic whole wheat, pasta, or organic meats, have less phosphate?

Peat: No, unless they've added it to one product and not the other. But, the way the animal is fed depends more on whether it has a lot of grass versus grains; the grains can be organic but they're still very high in phosphate. And so the animal will be slightly poisoned by eating them.

Sarah: So grass-fed meat and milk will have less phosphate than grain-fed, because grains are very high in phosphate, whole-wheat pasta has more than white (refined) pasta, for example.”

HD2: Well, yes I was saying to avoid the fats from pigs, chickens, turkeys and ducks: those animals are fed soy and corn, which means they will produce a bad fat. And I was saying if you were gonna eat meat , buy beef and lamb, they have the good saturated fat. It's a myth that it's a bad fat. It’s really the most natural fat. Grass-fed beef meat is of course ideal.

Caller: Ideal for what reason?

RP: The grass has a high content of vitamin E. And vitamin E is used primarily in the beef’s [rumens] to destroy the polyunsaturated fats. So, the more vitamin E in the diet, the lower the polyunsaturated fat content of the beef will be.

Caller: One of the things that I notice when I shop and I look at grass-fed beef, or the commercial beef, is that the grass-fed has a higher fat content.

RP: It's the ratio of saturated fat to unsaturated that is most important.

HD2: So a grain-fed cut of beef will have more polyunsaturated oils? Or just less vitamin E?

RP: Yes, less Vitamin E and more of the unsaturated fats. But it's mostly the low vitamin E that let’s the oil survive the rumen and get into the tissues. So it's the high percentage of polyunsaturated fat that’s the danger, not the quantity of it [on any given moment]. Because if you have lots and lots of perfectly saturated fat, that makes it relatively safe. Like normal beef is 98% saturated and about 2% polyunsaturated.”

Good info. Niacinamide apparently lowers phosphate!

Ainaga

other threads on the subject of milk quality mention one important fact that this one doesn't: milk that's milked with machines contains significant amounts of endocrine disruptive phthalates that leach from the plastic tubes. all supermarket milk contains phthalates, and raw organic milk milked with machines does too.

i milk goats at a friend's farm every summer in the states by hand, no machine. we all drink it raw, never had any problems. she also sells it, no one has ever had anything but compliments for it. i say that because some people might deem hand-milking unsafe, for whatever reason. now because her hands have developed arthritis from all the farm work, she started using a small milking machine recently when i was away. she's noticed that the milk spoils more quickly. she also notices that cleaning the machine is easier said than done. plus, she's noticed that spoilage is more akin to supermarket bought milk spoilage, meaning putrid and undrinkable, whereas before it was more like naturally acidic clabbered milk, and delicious.

also, milk straight from the teat, at body temperature, has a different effect than milk then cooled in iced water or afterwards heated, at least as far as i can see for myself.

ayurveda, as you know, treats milk as such: it is to be boiled (cooked) and spiced. someone mentioned ginger, but all spices (cloves, cardamon, anis, cinnamon, etc.) aid milk digestion. according to their theory, cold milk damages digestion and clogs channels, while boiled spiced milk acts as an elixir suitable to all body types.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom