Kempner Rice Diet

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Reduction of salt helped your low blood pressure? I have struggled with my blood pressure for my entire life its never been above 95/55 and many time was lower. Do you have any idea how that works?
I have clues but I’m still trying to tease out all the details. It seems to have something to do with our RAAS System (renin angiotensin aldosterone) being dysregulated although many people are dysregulated in the opposite direction. 90/60 is about the average for Yanomami Indian women (with extremely low sodium intakes) and when they were studied their RAAS adaptations were the opposite of what we see in modern living conditions. People will argue that this is a stressful adaptation to their primitive lifestyle but perhaps it is how our bodies are actually designed to work? It’s highly controversial of course.
What was stressful for me was having a bp of 75-80/55 and not being able to function. I now run around 95/65 so still on the low end of normal but I feel good and have no symptoms.
7952CB12-7FBF-47AE-B792-41C2A4085C3B.jpeg

Are you symptomatic? We need adequate BP to sustain life and neither too high or too low is desirable but too low can actually be more acutely dangerous. My personal experience through all of this was that the more salt I consumed the more imbalanced I became as my body tried to get rid of it.

LizRey86

I have clues but I’m still trying to tease out all the details. It seems to have something to do with our RAAS System (renin angiotensin aldosterone) being dysregulated although many people are dysregulated in the opposite direction. 90/60 is about the average for Yanomami Indian women (with extremely low sodium intakes) and when they were studied their RAAS adaptations were the opposite of what we see in modern living conditions. People will argue that this is a stressful adaptation to their primitive lifestyle but perhaps it is how our bodies are actually designed to work? It’s highly controversial of course.
What was stressful for me was having a bp of 75-80/55 and not being able to function. I now run around 95/65 so still on the low end of normal but I feel good and have no symptoms. View attachment 62398
Are you symptomatic? We need adequate BP to sustain life and neither too high or too low is desirable but too low can actually be more acutely dangerous. My personal experience through all of this was that the more salt I consumed the more imbalanced I became as my body tried to get rid of it.

Yes, I have to get up slowly or I get dizzy, tingling hands and feet, I retain water like crazy. Its better than it was 6 months ago but still a lingering thing. Ill have to try and research this some more, Im starting to see alot of people saying they are dropping salt because of issues they are having and their problems are resolved. My interest is more peaked now, thankyou for the chart also!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@LizRey86, Best wishes to you ma’am. Mine was a lifelong intermittent issue and quitting salt was a last ditch effort for me that I really didn’t expect to make a difference.
Here’s an interesting article explaining a bit more but it still doesn’t explain how it would impact low Blood Pressure. I’m going to keep digging though.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
“The lack of blood pressure increase with age was suggested to be due to the presence of chronic diseases and malnutrition 25,26. The authors observed no signs of malnutrition or protein deficiency in the participants of the Yanomami sample of the INTERSALT Study; on the contrary, the authors were impressed by the physical resistance of the Yanomami Indians, who are used to carrying a lot of weight through the forest for hours. Truswell et al 20 and Page et al 21 have also reported a good nutritional status in the isolated populations in Africa and in the Solomon Islands, where no increase in blood pressure with age was found.

The Yanomami Indians are evidence that an active lifestyle with little salt intake is possible. Oliver et al 6 have reported similar levels of Na+ excretion in Yanomami groups in Venezuela and have associated them with elevated plasma levels of renin and aldosterone. These hormonal adaptations to a very low Na+ intake may play an important role in maintaining and reabsorbing the Na+ filtered by the kidneys, and may reflect the human capacity to adapt to a sodium-salt-deficient diet, an adaptation originated in the predominantly vegetarian diet of human primate ancestors 27. This type of diet prevailed for thousands of years of human evolution, from nomadic food gatherer to hunter, before the development of agriculture and animal domestication and breeding 27,28.”

It may just be as simple as our bodies are designed/created/evolved to retain sodium which often results in hypertension to varying degrees for many people. I’m perhaps an outlier in the sense that my body wasn’t retaining enough until I got out of the high salt environment and my RAS/RAAS had to kick in and do the job. I’m just going with that explanation for now until I find out otherwise. :)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
OP
ecstatichamster

gabys225

@ecstatichamster When I said it pushed detox too fast I feel it was due to the complete lack of fat in the diet. My too fast symptoms were panic I couldn't think my way out of, as well as tachycardia, and brain fog that was distinct from the electrolyte brain fog.

OP
ecstatichamster
@ecstatichamster When I said it pushed detox too fast I feel it was due to the complete lack of fat in the diet. My too fast symptoms were panic I couldn't think my way out of, as well as tachycardia, and brain fog that was distinct from the electrolyte brain fog.

Thank you SO much for explaining. Do you think a few teaspoons of butter in the food would be helpful to prevent this?

gabys225

Thank you SO much for explaining. Do you think a few teaspoons of butter in the food would be helpful to prevent this?
Absolutely. If doing the Kempner diet for weight loss, adding some fat would simply slow the process down a bit. The Kempner diet really cranks the metabolic furnace because there's no fat to trigger the Randle cycle. So having a ripping metabolism + existing deficiencies + toxic fat stores means a lot of people are going to have a bad time and have no idea why. It's still very therapeutic, but it's prudent to keep these caveats in mind. I personally kept taking my B's and essential minerals while doing the Kempner diet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals