Looking For New Calcium Protocol That Doesn't Upset Digestion

I seem to have digestive issues with calcium carbonate (eggshell or oyster shell). My theory is it suppresses stomach acid and messes up the food that is in the stomach throughout its journey through to the exit.

Not fun.

I read somewhere I think from a @yerrag post about dissolving eggshells in vinegar. Is there some easy way to use eggshell powder or oyster shell powder that is long term sustainable that neutralizes the alkalinity? Is it as simple as dissolving the powder in ACV?

What are the ratios for neutral pH?

milk_lover

Ok it looks like dairy is not working as well as you're hoping. Have you tried upping your vitamin D3? Maybe you'll need less calcium from diet and you can get away with a cup or two of milk (or a serving of cheese) a day. Some people eat edible bones from chicken wings and get enough calcium.

OP
ecstatichamster
i eat plenty of cheese...my desire is to increase calcium over phosphorus to account for muscle meat I eat

Blossom

Forum Supporter

olive

Buy calcium carbonate powder (NOW makes an affordable one)
Put 1/3 teaspoon into a cup
Add 1/3 teaspoon potassium/sodium bicarbonate
Add 1 teaspoon glycine
Fill cup with sparkling water
Wait until fizzing stops
Add 1 teaspoon fruit vinegar with mother
Stir
Drink before meals

No digestion issues

Logan-

This might be the issue:
I too get eczema and other skin problems, along with gut problems with eggs (even the yolk is problematic for me). Egg protein is known to be allergenic for many people, as you might know. Maybe, in your case, if you don't have an allergy, it could be the eggshell powder irritating your intestine that's causing the eczema. I don't know, just a thought.

• Use a fine-mesh sifter or strainer to separate out the fine powder that you'll be consuming from any larger chunks.

eggshell-calcium-making-sifting.jpg

I think this is an important step to prevent digestive irritation. Even with my fancy burr grinder and two rounds of grinding, I still had leftover eggshell shards:

eggshell-calcium-making-sifting-remains.jpg

pmr

2.0 out of 5 stars
I can't use this product

February 5, 2018
Size: 1 BottleVerified Purchase
I read all about egg calcium before I bought the Swanson brand because they are well known and a good company. I took one pill. Next day, blood in stool. Thinking this was an odd occurrence I skipped a day, then took it again Same thing, blood in stool. Then I read that egg shell calcium can be hard on delicate digestive systems because they are composed as sharp little pieces. So I will not be able to use this product in the future. I wanted to write this so others are warned who might have this problem.
Oh, and I tried dissolving the contents of a pill in vinegar. It didn't dissolve well at all..Most stayed on top of the liquid and didn't get soft.

https://www.amazon.com/100%-Natural-Eggshell-Calcium-Caps/dp/B001TEMHRA/?tag=d594b-20#customerReviews

I have been using NOW Foods Calcium Carbonate with no issues.

Vinero

Dissolve calcium carbonate in orange juice and drink on an empty stomach. I do this and get no irritation.

Pulstar

Dissolve calcium carbonate in orange juice and drink on an empty stomach. I do this and get no irritation.
So basically the idea is to dissolve calcium carbonate in something acidic? The thing is, I don't like OJ that much. Will water together with a bit of apple cider vinegar do the same?

Vinero

So basically the idea is to dissolve calcium carbonate in something acidic? The thing is, I don't like OJ that much. Will water together with a bit of apple cider vinegar do the same?
I don't know I haven't tried that. I think the citric acid in orange juice would partially digest the calcium for you, making it easier to absorb. Either way, when dissolved in just water I get irritated intestines, when dissolved in OJ I get no irritation.

OP
ecstatichamster
I’ve been Using OJ for dissolving magnesium carbonate. I could use it for the calcium instead.

Maybe buying some malic acid and mixing it with calcium carbonate is a good idea.

Last edited:

yerrag

I seem to have digestive issues with calcium carbonate (eggshell or oyster shell). My theory is it suppresses stomach acid and messes up the food that is in the stomach throughout its journey through to the exit.

Not fun.

I read somewhere I think from a @yerrag post about dissolving eggshells in vinegar. Is there some easy way to use eggshell powder or oyster shell powder that is long term sustainable that neutralizes the alkalinity? Is it as simple as dissolving the powder in ACV?

What are the ratios for neutral pH?

I prefer eggshell powder over USP calcium carbonate because I trust it more for purity, as it didn't go through a manufacturing process. But alas, when I grind it, it's not fine enough and reacts so slowly. So I'm back to using USP calcium carbonate and 20% glacial acetic acid to make calcium acetate. I mix 4 grams CaCO3 with 25 ml of the 20% acetic acid, and let it sit. Or if in a hurry, I'll shake the container or stir. Then I pour the entire amount to the 1 liter OJ (local orange called dalandan in Phils.). It's a 50-50 mix with water with 10 tsp white sugar added. I drink it throughout the day. When the CaCO3 reacts fully, there's no more vinegary taste and the solution is slightly bluish clear.

It's much easier than having to take in 4g of the eggshell powder.

I'm thinking if I should also add magnesium acetate into the OJ. Magnesium acetate can be made in the same manner as calcium acetate.

If I add salt to it, then I'll have a nice electrolyte cocktail.

I prefer eggshell powder over USP calcium carbonate because I trust it more for purity, as it didn't go through a manufacturing process. But alas, when I grind it, it's not fine enough and reacts so slowly. So I'm back to using USP calcium carbonate and 20% glacial acetic acid to make calcium acetate. I mix 4 grams CaCO3 with 25 ml of the 20% acetic acid, and let it sit. Or if in a hurry, I'll shake the container or stir. Then I pour the entire amount to the 1 liter OJ (local orange called dalandan in Phils.). It's a 50-50 mix with water with 10 tsp white sugar added. I drink it throughout the day. When the CaCO3 reacts fully, there's no more vinegary taste and the solution is slightly bluish clear.

It's much easier than having to take in 4g of the eggshell powder.

I'm thinking if I should also add magnesium acetate into the OJ. Magnesium acetate can be made in the same manner as calcium acetate.

If I add salt to it, then I'll have a nice electrolyte cocktail.
Aren't you worried about reducing too much your blood phosphorous?I recall niacinamide and fructose lower blood phosphorous too, so combining them with the acetate form of calcium or magnesium might not be a good idea.

yerrag

Aren't you worried about reducing too much your blood phosphorous?I recall niacinamide and fructose lower blood phosphorous too, so combining them with the acetate form of calcium or magnesium might not be a good idea.
Is it the acetate I should be worried about or are you referring to having too much Electrolytes that would upset the phosphorus balance?

By the way, I stopped my b3 protocol.

Good to have a heads up to not overdo it. The thought of phosphorus depletion never entered my mind.

Last edited:

Runenight201

So I thought I denounced milk, but then realized that skim milk causes absolutely no problems for me, given that I drink it on an empty stomach with a clean gut and a correct physiological state for the acceptance of milk.

Milk with any type of fat causes problems. Doesn’t taste that great but the energy I get from it is worth it.

Worth a shot.

Is it the acetate I should be worried about or are you referring to having too much Electrolytes that would upset the phosphorus balance?

By the way, I stopped my b3 protocol.

Good to have a heads up to not overdo it. The thought of phosphorus depletion never entered my mind.
I think it's the acetate. I saw a study saying that calcium acetate significantly lowered plama phosphorous. Regarding the electrolyte balance, I don't think I have a sure answer to that, but looking at the ratio of minerals in fruits, the ratio of calcium to phosphorous is about 1:1,5, so maybe trying to maintain this ratio is a good plan.
It was from this thread that I got the info about niacinamide's phosphate-lowering properties:Niacinamide Lowers Blood Phosphate Levels
Someone in the forum said that using a lot of niacinamide caused them to crave phosphorous rich foods, so using a lot of it without making up for this effect can have unwanted effects( not sure which effects this can cause, but maybe lack of energy is among them). With that said, smaller dosages can still be very useful, since the increase in NAD+ means you can use the energy from carbs a lot better.

Jennifer

It's just that I prefer your non-incinerated self.
Oh, I did I understand you then. I read it as Ashley. Thank you for not wanting me to be incinerated. :happy:

Jennifer

Just to be clear, I don't have anything against skeletons, I'm not a fleshocrat. :)
Phew! Thank you for clearing that up. I'm glad to know you're not one of those body shaming fleshocrats.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals