Magnesium. I Think It's Causing Insomnia

johnsmith

I want to try out a magnesium supplement for little muscle twitches throughout my body. Its probably Benign Fasciculation Syndrome, and it started after I got a concussion. Any recommendations, as to which magnesium form would be best, or any other advice?

Frankdee20

I like magnesium overall, although the sedative effects are transient at best, non existent typically, I use it for correcting muscle imbalances from long standing defficiency. I've had shoulder dyskinesis for 14 years, never being able to supplement anything. At one point, decompression surgery was suggested to hopefully resolve tendinitis/bone spur in shoulder. I've suffered with winging scapula, and pain after using shoulders, all these years. I definitely had a magnesium deficiency though, as I never was able to get the RDA. So 10 months ago, I began supplementing magnesium and other basic nutrients. Amazing how the mineral has relaxed tensed shoulders/traps/serratus, etc. It really helps to correct muscle problems, although I'm unfamiliar with what you believe is driving your issues. I've tried the Taurate, Glycinate/lysinate, regular glycinate, oxide, aspartate, citrate, and chloride/acetate forms. I'm currently back on the Pure Encapsulations brand Glycinate capsules. I like this product better than Doctors Best, which is glycinate/lysinate/oxide. I don't know which one is the most potent or effective, but I hated the oxide/citrate/krebs formulation from LE brand. It would just make me ***t water. Definitely experiment and see which one agrees with you, but buy ones with minimal excipients. I know all the good versions without crap in them, if you want help. Good luck, definitely enhance the absorption with Taurine and some B6. I tend to take mine away from meals, but that's because I've got an iron tummy mostly.

johnsmith

Thanks, yea the Pure Encapsulations Glycinate was the one I had my eyes on. Thought I would experiment with it, take it off and on. How do you know you were deficient? Im looking into how one can get tested for this, just ask my doctor for a blood test?

Frankdee20

From what I understand via these threads, sampling RBC Magnesium isn't a great indicator of your status. The way I know I was deficient is, perhaps I lacked magnesium so much, or required it so much, that my muscles just went into long standing spasm. Plus, I wasn't eating high Magnesium foods for many years, plus I drank booze often. Perhaps to compensate for that NMDA receptor antagonism that magnesium elicits, I drank so much.

Frankdee20

The good thing about the PE brand product is one capsule contains 130 mg of Magnesium and some Glycine, so you could start slowly. The RDA is roughly 4 capsules. The only advantage of oxides and citrates are greater mineral content per capsule, requiring less doses.

johnsmith

Thanks! Yea a lot of people on this forum say it should be easy enough to just get it from food. But I think it would still be good to have around/experiment with. Hmm, up to 4 capsules a day would be pricy, but ill definitely try that dose out.

Frankdee20

Yeah, the cost effectiveness of Glycinate isn't good. But PE has the 90 caps for roughly 17-19 bucks. That's actually a months supply if you do 3.

rjsf

I wish I had known this before. I started Mag Glycinate supplementation last June 2016, and had many sleepless nights since. It took me a while to make the connection and I stopped taking it June 2017. I’m still suffering from occasional insomnia and my average sleep is about an hour less than before. I never had any sleep issues before taking Mag. I probably have conditioned insomnia from taking the Mag for a year.

Frankdee20

I wish I had known this before. I started Mag Glycinate supplementation last June 2016, and had many sleepless nights since. It took me a while to make the connection and I stopped taking it June 2017. I’m still suffering from occasional insomnia and my average sleep is about an hour less than before. I never had any sleep issues before taking Mag. I probably have conditioned insomnia from taking the Mag for a year.

Maybe Glycinate is lowering blood sugar too much.

Sam321

Seems everytime I do Epsom Salt bath too late at night I can't sleep.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals