MAO inibhitor

Motorneuron

I had assumed an inhibition of MAO A with a dosage of 0.5mcg in half a glass of water ... the symptoms of high serotonin were so crippling that I no longer knew what to do.

What do you advise me to do to compensate for this? I don't want to stop using it Because it's working wonders.

Thank you

InChristAlone

That dose should not be causing high serotonin, sounds more like die off which can make you feel pretty crazy! Either way activated charcoal with plenty of water.

OP
M

Motorneuron

That dose should not be causing high serotonin, sounds more like die off which can make you feel pretty crazy! Either way activated charcoal with plenty of water.
given my high sensitivity I can not rule it out, however I thank you for the advice of coal, I hope it does not make me constipated.

Could it also be the mobilization of iron deposits? During my fight against ALS nothing has ever worked as well as that drop of MB ...

h.c.

I had assumed an inhibition of MAO A with a dosage of 0.5mcg in half a glass of water ... the symptoms of high serotonin were so crippling that I no longer knew what to do.
To do that, one has to take 4 mg/kg/day ~ 300 mg - but not that minescule dose. Put it in capsules with ascorbic acid as filler, read ste studies with the dosing window or even the WHO monograph on MB.

AspiringSage

Older thread; but, topic merits a reply for the record. Famotidine (Pepcid AC) is a widely available OTC serotonin suppressant. It’s even seen off label use in emergency rooms to treat life threatening serotonin syndrome.

Soohyun Joe, Eunju Kim, Junyi Park, Dongwon Lee, Jongchul Son, and Hyun Kim Famotidine Induced Reversal of Meperidine Related Serotonin Syndrome Korean Journal of Anesthesiology pISSN 2005-6419 • eISSN 2005-7563

Last edited:
OP
M

Motorneuron

Older thread; but, topic merits a reply for the record. Famotidine (Pepcid AC) is a widely available OTC serotonin suppressant. It’s even seen off label use in emergency rooms to treat life threatening serotonin syndrome.

Soohyun Joe, Eunju Kim, Junyi Park, Dongwon Lee, Jongchul Son, and Hyun Kim Famotidine Induced Reversal of Meperidine Related Serotonin Syndrome Korean Journal of Anesthesiology pISSN 2005-6419 • eISSN 2005-7563
Thank you so much always helpful.

What can you tell me about acetylcholine? suppress that too?

AspiringSage

Thank you, I try to be helpful and return some of the knowledge and healing that this forum has helped me discover. I am sorry, I don’t quite understand your question though.

Are you interested in substances that suppress acetylcholine or are you asking about the effects of methylene blue and or famotidine on the cholinergic system?

My understanding is that both methylene blue and famotidine impact acetylcholinesterase. Which is an enzyme that disposes of acetylcholine after it’s done its job. I believe that this suggests that both substances would cause an increase in acetylcholine levels. I did a quick review of the literature and my impression seemed to be supported.

To issue a standard disclaimer, I’m not a biochemist, neuroscientist or a doctor and the cholinergic system strikes me as particularly complex. You’ve inspired me to do more research as time permits. But I’m not confident, saying much more about the cholinergic system. I understand that there is a mild schism between peaty and mainstream thinking on acetylcholine, I am not well read into this particular issue.

I can certainly speak to my self experimentation though. I’ve tried mcg and mg range doses doses of methylene blue with and without famotidine. My experience is that mcg range doses of methylene blue are primarily experienced as mild changes in thinking, memory and dreaming. I find that intermittently using small doses methylene blue helps with creativity and reasoning through difficult tasks. I don’t notice any metabolic or serotonin effects in the mcg dose range.

On the other hand, mg range doses of methylene blue (1mg to 8mg) feel a little spacey, a little high serotonin ish in addition to the positive effects of improved metabolism, reduced oxygen requirements during exercise and clear/creative thinking. Upsets in the GI trac are also an issue at higher doses. Co-administration with 20mg to 40mg of famotidine seemed to blunt the high serotonin feeling of mg range methylene blue doses.

This is a little bit outside the scope of your question. But I’ve also tried mcg and low mg rage doses of methylene blue with 3mg and 6mg niccotine pouches. With and without famotidine. I’ve only done this a few times as nicotine is undoubtably a habit forming substance. I noticed a further sharpening of thinking, an enhancement of focus and mild stimuli effects. Also, a mild increase in blood pressure. In general, famotidine seemed helpful in all doses and co-administration experiments. Though famotidine’s blunting effects on serotonin seemed less noticeable, at mcg doses, where there are probably less serotonin effects to blunt.

Edited to add: I think methylene blue doses are best kept low without a specific reason to venture higher.

Edited to add 2: As with many commercial pharmaceuticals. Famotidine tablets often has non peaty additives and binders like titanium dioxide. Some brands have less than others. I’ve solved this by crushing the tablets into a fine powder dissolving them in warm distilled water with 1% dmso and repeatedly stirring. The non peaty titanium dioxide simply settles and drops out of the solution. I’ve also experimented with coffee filters and or a 20 micron filter to further purify the solution, though this step probably isn’t necessary. You can use this one weird trick to enhance your mad scientist motif!

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals