Mechanism of Cyproheptadine hunger/ blood sugar imbalance

Wendy B

I found on here it says the Cypro appetite is related to 5-HT2C antagonsim, And lowering of adrenaline and cortisol. So if cypro lowers adrenaline and cortisol, shouldn't that stop blood sugar imbalance and hunger? Im confused. Day two on Cypro (2 drops yesterday and 1 drop today so far)...and all i can think about is cookies and sugar. Went ahead and gave into the sugar and it helps some, but feels relentless. I'm normally eating 1800 - 2200 calories a day so im not starving.

Also, the sleepiness/lethargy is intense! How long to wear off? Coffee is not counteracting it. Thanks!!

Alpha

Cortisol suppresses appetite and raises blood sugar, it's not surprising at all.

OP
W

Wendy B

Cortisol suppresses appetite and raises blood sugar, it's not surprising at all.
Got it. So is cypro causing too severe of blood sugar dropping? This doesn't seem healthy.

Alpha

Got it. So is cypro causing too severe of blood sugar dropping? This doesn't seem healthy.
If you take 1mg or less it's not really severe, provided you don't go fasting for too long.

Usual recommendation is 0.5mg.

OP
W

Wendy B

If you take 1mg or less it's not really severe, provided you don't go fasting for too long.

Usual recommendation is 0.5
Im taking one drop (.5 mg), it's pretty severe for me. Does it get better after some days of use? Is this also why the lethargy/sleepiness?

Alpha

Im taking one drop (.5 mg), it's pretty severe for me. Does it get better after some days of use? Is this also why the lethargy/sleepiness?
Yes it makes you more sleepy. It should get better, but I've never used it multiple days in a row.

Korven

I only get 'cypro lethargy' when used in small doses .5-1 mg. If I take an entire pill @ 4 mg I don't feel any drowsiness the next morning. You could potentially experiment with higher doses.

Also I think the appetite boost is mostly from lowering brain histamine? Histamine is an anorexigenic neurotransmitter and having less of it in hypothalamus means you will eat more.

OP
W

Wendy B

I only get 'cypro lethargy' when used in small doses .5-1 mg. If I take an entire pill @ 4 mg I don't feel any drowsiness the next morning. You could potentially experiment with higher doses.

Also I think the appetite boost is mostly from lowering brain histamine? Histamine is an anorexigenic neurotransmitter and having less of it in hypothalamus means you will eat more.

Sounds like you are only taking it at night to help sleep? I'm not taking it for sleep but for food histamine reactions in the day. I'm worried that more than .5 mg in day would be terribly sedating(?) - Based on how i've felt the last two days with .5 or one milligram. The lethargy and sleepiness is disabling even with coffee. But maybe more in the day could reduce the fatigue and sleepiness?

Interesting that reduced brain histamine is supposed to increase appetite. When I first started getting histamine reactions, one of the strongest symptoms was intense sugar cravings. Which goes exactly opposite to what you are saying. I'd say that's changed for me more recenty though.

Alpha

Sounds like you are only taking it at night to help sleep? I'm not taking it for sleep but for food histamine reactions in the day. I'm worried that more than .5 mg in day would be terribly sedating(?) - Based on how i've felt the last two days with .5 or one milligram. The lethargy and sleepiness is disabling even with coffee. But maybe more in the day could reduce the fatigue and sleepiness?

Interesting that reduced brain histamine is supposed to increase appetite. When I first started getting histamine reactions, one of the strongest symptoms was intense sugar cravings. Which goes exactly opposite to what you are saying. I'd say that's changed for me more recenty though.
I've already mentioned the reason, its the lowering of cortisol.

Korven

Oh I see... yes I was taking it at night mainly for sleep and digestion. Perhaps 4 mg would be too strong taken in the day. However you could always experiment, for some some strange reasons I become a zombie on .5 mg, but not on higher doses.

I think we may be talking about slightly different things - from what I understand food histamine reactions is more peripheral (e.g. due to a lack of DAO) and may not necessarily correlate with brain (hypothalamus) histamine levels, which is detoxified in other ways. It is well documented that histamine blocking increases appetite -- perhaps the mechanism through which your histamine/allergic reactions caused intense sugar cravings is through dropping blood sugars? Just a hypothesis!

OP
W

Wendy B

Following up...The blood sugar imbalance/hunger was insane for me. By coincidence, I took lysine the other day to treat shingles outbreak that was starting...Somehow this seems to completely quell the cypro appetite issue. But found I had to consume the lysine *before* the cypro application, not after. Wierd cuz i read lysine is an apptite stimulant, not supressant.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals