Methylene Blue

OP
M

messtafarian

Lin said:
Ewlevy1 said:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3555627/

Here is a study on depression.

Wow, that is from 1987! Isn't there anything more recent?

Actually I like the study, it's a good one, pretty solid. RP would probably actually say it's not *old enough*, since at some point the scholarly peer review system turned into a drug sales system :)

narouz

Attachments

• blue eyes dune.jpg
    blue eyes dune.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 695

Last edited by a moderator:

pboy

this is hilarious, its probably like how the original people approached plants...like everyone was afraid to actually try them, and thought they might turn them blue or do weird things haha. We forget how even our food supply and medicines and pills and stuff have had to be tested on people originally! If methylene blue was some kind of natural plant id for sure have tried it and given the run down already, but im just not sure about chemicals, if its odorless and tasteless as someone posted, its probably pretty inert, cause the body usually detects any offense in the nose or tongue...but I don't think I need it atm, not that it might not make things better, I just don't have the motivation to experiment with it atm
Back when I was a vegan I probably could have used it, I think I was churning out NO back then, veins were always bulging cause I ate too much nuts and arginine

narouz

pboy said:
...but I don't think I need it atm, not that it might not make things better, I just don't have the motivation to experiment with it atm...

Seems pretty obvious to me, pboy,
that if you would take some Methylene Blue,
you would develop the motivation to experiment with it.
FWIW.

Philomath

I was taking 1ml diluted in a quarter cup of water. It does have a taste! I can't explain it... It's not as bad as some medicines I've taken, but it definately has a chemical taste AND It does effect your urine ... :mrgreen:

I've stopped taking it temporarily while I'm on antibiotics - sinus infection :x
I'd like to ask Dr. Peat about taking MB along side other NO inhibitors (pregnenolone, niacinamide etc.) and with mitochondrial uncouplers.
I have not felt anything with MB, but I haven't experienced any breakthroughs with other suppliments either. Maybe my dosages are too low??

OP
M

messtafarian

From what I understand, 1 ml ( at 2.33 percent solution) should be about 4 mg? Shouldn't have much of an effect either way. The standard for research studies was 15mg 3x or more than that intravenously.

I think there is more than NO uncoupling to MBlue. But if you are using other NO uncoupling strategies and are not seeing your symptoms resolve then, yes, I agree, why take Le Melange? I think you have to know the goal before you decide on the medicine and the dosage.

Aside from serotonin poisoning, the one issue with MBlue dosing is that in sufficient amounts it can spike blood pressure. It's actually a documented treatment for hyp*o* tension. This is my real concern with the stuff since one can easily avoid SSRI's and Tyramine but once you get involved with micromanaging heart stuff, I'm personally in over my head. In that arena it's really a good idea not to be wrong.

tara

messtafarian said:
From what I understand, 1 ml ( at 2.33 percent solution) should be about 4 mg? Shouldn't have much of an effect either way. The standard for research studies was 15mg 3x or more than that intravenously.
One of the guys linked to above says his sweet spot is 20-40mcg. He takes one drop of the 2.33 percent solution, and dilutes it again with another ounce of water, and then takes a few drops of that a day. He was referring to studies that showed a difference at 60mcg. So you are already way over that range. I'm not expressing an opinion about whether it will do you good or not - I don't know - just pointing to a differnet dosing range. Could take a few days for an effect to build up?

OP
M

messtafarian

Thanks, Tara. I think the dosage is dependent on what you're taking it for. Most of the studies I've seen in the literature start at about 15mg in divided doses; some call for 65mg in divided doses, etc. 20-40mcg is such a tiny amount I'd think of it as almost a homeopathic remedy. I am not saying these low dosages are not giving people the results they claim ( seems mostly mental clarity) but generally I'm not convinced it's enough.

It is certainly not *too much* though, lol.

Dayman

It has a chemical or bitter flavour to me. I have it in coke and don't taste it as much. Get an initial light head feeling. It has an effect on my mood but hard to describe really, yet to try a large dose though.
Planning on trying melange next :P

haidut

Forum Supporter
messtafarian said:

I think there is more than NO uncoupling to MBlue. But if you are using other NO uncoupling strategies and are not seeing your symptoms resolve then, yes, I agree, why take Le Melange? I think you have to know the goal before you decide on the medicine and the dosage.

Aside from serotonin poisoning, the one issue with MBlue dosing is that in sufficient amounts it can spike blood pressure. It's actually a documented treatment for hyp*o* tension. This is my real concern with the stuff since one can easily avoid SSRI's and Tyramine but once you get involved with micromanaging heart stuff, I'm personally in over my head. In that arena it's really a good idea not to be wrong.

I think your calculation is a bit off. If you have 2.33% solution then 100ml would have 2.33gm of methylene blue in them, which is 2330mg. So, 1ml would have 2330/100 = 23.3mg. I am using a 1% solution in a dropper bottle and one drop has 500mcg, so I am using 30 drops to get to the 15mg dosage a day. In your case, you'd need less then 1ml per day to get the 15mg used in the studies. However, the studies used IV administration so the oral dosage will probably have to be higher to get similar effects.
Just my 2c.

narouz

ken said:
I'm finding this topic interesting. Has anyone seen this study? http://www.fasebj.org/content/22/3/703.long

Thanks.
Yes, very interesting, and with Peat's approval.
Personally, I'm a little hung up on the blue whites-of-the-eyes thing.
If it is a pretty flaming effect,
I don't want to have to try to explain it at my work.
They say to take 1000 Vit C with each dose.
But Peat has said that the form of Vit C typically available
result in big iron stores unleashing in the body....

If I can get past that snag,
I think I would feel safer not using an aquarium product,
but rather a more food-grade type of product.

Try mixing vitamin C and methylene blue; does the color change?

narouz

Such_Saturation said:
Try mixing vitamin C and methylene blue; does the color change?

I believe I read that it does just that--the blue water turns clear.
I've wondered whether eating an orange with each dose would ward off "the blue eye"...?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals