Microbiome, Antibiotics and the Controversy About Probiotics. The Idea of Immunotherapy.

dervmai

progress
There seems to be a disagreement between conventional mainstream medicine and Ray Peat. This is specifically in regards to probiotics.

Now I also seem to disagree with Ray here on this one. Why wouldn't beneficial bacteria be better than a clean sterile gut??? A clean sterile gut is like when people use a lot of cleaning products in their homes and they sick more easily.... Many here complain about being so sensitive to little things. Even Danny, who I believe religiously follows Ray's works, says he doesn't dare go back to normal eating, for fear of his gut issues worsening. Now that doesn't seem like he has healed or made a whole lot of progress.

Like the example I gave earlier about people becoming super sensitive due to living super clean.... isn't that the same with the gut? I mean there is a whole industry on immunotherapy..... even in extreme examples like poison exposure, where the body can tolerate poison where as it would have once killed them....
Doesn't making the gut tooo sterile cause issues? Issues being sensitivity to many many foods.

Humans are omnivores and have evolved to eat a wide range of foods without issues. What is going on in this forum? Serious talk.... because if I want to follow a lifestyle... I have to see some proof that there is progress being made.... I don't see much here though I'm afraid... it frustrates me. People are still very sensitive to toxins and are still battling many health issues.... What if Ray is wrong.... what is he wrong about.......?

In regards to gut bacteria and the microbiome. It makes sense that a diverse microbiome = health.
But why does Ray disagree on this topic of the importance of a diverse and healthy microbiome.... I get his idea of eliminating the harmful bacteria.... but why does he not keep the same energy towards probiotics...

To me it just seems like he wants to nuke the microbiome when he advocates for antibiotics... but then he places no emphasis on probiotics.

What determines if someone has a healthy microbiome? I read that it had something to do with birth and the passing of the microbiome via the vaginal walls during child birth and breast milk or something.... But what if the mothers microbiome was messed up.... then is the child's microbiome also messed up?

My mother has anxiety, very bad anxiety... She grew up in a refugee camp, I think from a very young age she was kicked out of her country and had to always relocate. I was born in a refugee camp. I am concerned because I think my microbiome was not very good from birth.... I always cried as a baby, my liver was messed up as a kid a bit, I had jaundice which went away but with age it seems I'm coming back full circle.

I have had multiple incidences where I have taken courses of antibiotics.... maybe for a week or 2. I didn't eat a very healthy diet as a child either.... riddled with PUFA etc....

What determines if the microbiome is balanced and thriving.... what causes it to change.... why do people get SIBO etc.... and why wouldn't supplementing probiotics help.... can't seem to make sense of it. Just because most can't reach the gut where it needs to be? But what about probiotics like megasporeprobiotics????

Jonk

I don't think there are a lot of things Peat had a hard stance against, including probiotics. In an episode of Generative Energy he mentions that he's tried both Biosporin and Megasporebiotics. If I remember correctly the positive effects of those are that the "good bacteria" have an antibiotic effect in themselves. He has also mentioned the anti-inflammatory effects of even dead forms of the lactobacillus strain.

To me it just seems like he wants to nuke the microbiome when he advocates for antibiotics...
This is not true. Ray doesn't advocate for large and prolonged antibiotic use, but very small doses a few times a day for a shorter duration.

Jonk

Humans are omnivores and have evolved to eat a wide range of foods without issues. What is going on in this forum? Serious talk.... because if I want to follow a lifestyle... I have to see some proof that there is progress being made.... I don't see much here though I'm afraid... it frustrates me. People are still very sensitive to toxins and are still battling many health issues.... What if Ray is wrong.... what is he wrong about.......?
I think a big problem which all of us struggle with is that we want a clear cut path to health. We preferable don't want to experiment ourselves and we want a staked out path to health. There is a reason Peat almost never told anyone what to eat or what to do. If there is anything I think he was "wrong about" is maybe that he underestimated peoples tendencies to totally disregard ones own intuition to blindly follow his "advice". I'm not judging anyone, and I think it's understandable if one is feeling unwell, because experimentation requires energy which many of us don't have. To me, the works of Peat is best used as a "north star" making sure I'm not completely lost while I still need to traverse the terrain myself.

GreekDemiGod

Why wouldn't beneficial bacteria be better than a clean sterile gut??? A clean sterile gut is like when people use a lot of cleaning products in their homes and they sick more easily.... Many here complain about being so sensitive to little things. Even Danny, who I believe religiously follows Ray's works, says he doesn't dare go back to normal eating, for fear of his gut issues worsening. Now that doesn't seem like he has healed or made a whole lot of progress.
The fact that Alzheimer can be induced in rats by modifying the gut microbiome, and how fecal transplant can resolve conditions or can can induce the exact same health problems that the donor has, is enough to tell you that modulating the microbiome is important.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals