Red Light for gut health and the microbiome

-Luke-

I don't remember if it had a positive effect on gut health. But a while ago I used red light on the liver daily (so about the same area) after chronic overuse of doxylamine succinate for insomnia. This resulted in uncomfortable pressure in the liver area. The red light made the symptoms disappear pretty quickly, unlike supplements like taurin or milk thistle. After about three days there was already an improvement.

I do not recall a positive effect on gut health, but I also haven't paid attention. Maybe I'll give it another try and see if it has an effect. Although daily application will be hard as I'm hardly at home currently.

Don

It's a Philips bulb from Amazon. Cost was around 15e. I bought the bulb guard separately from a local shop. Screwed it onto a microphone stand.
do you mind showing us a pic of how you screed it in, this is a great idea. thanks

TheSir

do you mind showing us a pic of how you screed it in, this is a great idea. thanks
So the mic stand has a screw adapter at the end of it. I pushed it through one of the three slits in the bulb guard and secured it with a fitting nut from the other side. Works well for different heights and angles.
download (1).jpeg
chrome_screenshot_1696356014895.png
20221206_003613.jpg

Blaine

10 minutes of a heat lamp in the night and morning guarantees a bowel movement in the morning for me. At times it has relaxed the colon so much that I have practically pooped in my pants a little.

I use a 250w incandescent IR. As close as I can tolerate to without burning myself. It's a powerful procedure which will cause lots of heavy metal dumps.
I usually shine an IR flashlight on my head and face for a few minutes before bed, which usually seems to eliminate any mental fatigue from the day. After reading your post a few days ago, I've also been directing the beam at my gut, stomach and liver for perhaps 10 minutes, and can confirm that it really seems to increase transit the following morning.

This is the IR flashlight I have, though attaching a bulb to a microphone stand sounds convenient too.

Chromatorch: 850nm NIR Flashlight 850nm - Chroma ~80mW/cm^2

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
What has everyone found to be the best red light? I'm looking to get maybe a red light panel of some sort, but never know what brand is the best. Any suggestions?
I would get the Photon.

I absolutely Love this light, I use it twice a day, for 20 mins each, on my tummy, per their advice.

This gives heat AND red light.

Last edited:

peter88

I’ve been having bowel movements every morning since I started sleeping with incandescent bulbs shined on my bed while I sleep. I wake up feeling a lot warmer and extremely calm.

golder

I would get the Photon.

I absolutely Love this light, I use it twice a day, for 20 mins each, on my tummy, per their advice.

This gives heat AND red light.
Paul
If anyone knows where to get this photon light in the UK please let me know! Thanks!

Peater

I’ve been having bowel movements every morning since I started sleeping with incandescent bulbs shined on my bed while I sleep. I wake up feeling a lot warmer and extremely calm.

What wattage are you using? Just a standard clear filament lamp or a red light?

geusterman

Looks like an infrared heat lamp from country store. Add a clamp and socket for a total of $30. I use this for my IR lamp. I dug deep into Google sometime ago and found a great study on these lamps for infrared therapy. It’s hard to find. But it’s there!

Pete Rey

I bought a generic version of the "Joov" years ago off of fleabay for a fraction of the cost from a company that also sells grow lights. This is this time of year I really like to use it. It's a 600w LED panel with 660nm red and 850nm infrared wired on separate circuits, so you can turn on either or both.

Peater

Clear 250w 130v. I bought the exact model Dr Peat recommend on eBay. “Bulbrite 250w130v BR40”.

Do you use an eyemask? If not did it take you long to acclimatise? I can't imagine sleeping even with my 40W bedside lamp on! The red lamp is nice before bed.

peter88

Do you use an eyemask? If not did it take you long to acclimatise? I can't imagine sleeping even with my 40W bedside lamp on! The red lamp is nice before bed.
I don’t. It’s mounted in the corner of my room facing down. I always found myself feeling very relaxed with it on so I eventually stopped turning it off before bed.

golder

I bought a generic version of the "Joov" years ago off of fleabay for a fraction of the cost from a company that also sells grow lights. This is this time of year I really like to use it. It's a 600w LED panel with 660nm red and 850nm infrared wired on separate circuits, so you can turn on either or both.
Great buy! Out of curiosity what setting and duration have you found works best for you? 660nm by itself for x minutes? 660 red and 850 infrared for x minutes? Thanks!

EvanHinkle

I think Peat commented on this in the past but my personal experience is that it’s easy to “overdose” on the LEDs that are in very specific wavelengths, (660-850nm). The incandescent bulbs emit a wider range of wavelengths, and are apparently “more natural” as a result and therefore harder to overdose on. When using LED in specific wavelengths I use them for 5 minutes typically, where if I have an incandescent redlight in a brooder clamp I’ll leave it on for hours, (for example if I’m watching TV, or before bed).

Something I’ve recently noticed is how great firelight seems to affect me. I got a Brio cooking fire pit a few years ago, and while I haven’t cooked on it as much as I’d like to I have been setting campfires at night for my wife and I after the kids go to bed. The light that I get from the campfire seems far superior to even my incandescent bulbs. Wondering if anyone else has played with nightly campfire?

peter88

I think Peat commented on this in the past but my personal experience is that it’s easy to “overdose” on the LEDs that are in very specific wavelengths, (660-850nm). The incandescent bulbs emit a wider range of wavelengths, and are apparently “more natural” as a result and therefore harder to overdose on. When using LED in specific wavelengths I use them for 5 minutes typically, where if I have an incandescent redlight in a brooder clamp I’ll leave it on for hours, (for example if I’m watching TV, or before bed).

Something I’ve recently noticed is how great firelight seems to affect me. I got a Brio cooking fire pit a few years ago, and while I haven’t cooked on it as much as I’d like to I have been setting campfires at night for my wife and I after the kids go to bed. The light that I get from the campfire seems far superior to even my incandescent bulbs. Wondering if anyone else has played with nightly campfire?
The heat is definitely a factor but I sleep the absolute best in front of my wood burning stove. I wish I could use it every night but firewood isn’t expensive.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals