Naturally blonde hair darkening at roots

mozartofbabylon

Forum Supporter
My hair has been blonde my entire life, so blonde that I would often receive comments about it every time I was out in public. It never darkened throughout puberty like it does for a lot of people born blonde. Would always get a tad darker in the winter with lack of sunlight, but would promptly return to an illustrious blonde in the spring time. I'm now 24, and over the past year, I've noticed my hair has begun to darken significantly. The roots are growing in brown, and the sides right around my ear are now a light brownish. The ends of my hair are still blonde as ever, bleached by the summer sun, but I'm speculating as to why my roots are now changing color. All in all, my hair's texture and color looks like it's been dehydrated and has lost a lot of it's vibrancy.

I had a stressful past year and have dealt with some hair thinning. My guess is that stress led to increased prolactin, which began to darken my roots. My hair has also been wiry and oily for the better part of the year, as I struggled with establishing a routine that was kind to my hormones and hair.

I say this to say that I figure that my recent darkening is not naturally-induced, and is the result of hormonal imbalances. If this is the case, I'm praying that it can be reversed and I can recover my natural blonde roots. My own research has led me to prioritize reducing my iron levels, red light therapy, and increasing my zinc intake via oysters. If anyone has any advice/anecdotes, they would be much appreciated!

Izzybelle

Increased copper in your diet? (Peat has said something about copper being associated with pigment) I kinda wish I had your problem. I'm the other kind of blonde that you described but with brown and red tones and as I've gotten older it has lost a lot of the pigment more than going grey per se. If it's that and you don't like it then maybe you're right zinc could offset the copper.

Last edited:
OP
M

mozartofbabylon

Forum Supporter
Photo please
The first two are of my hair pre-darkening my roots.

The last four are recently in the past few months.

Attachments

• unnamed (34).jpg
    unnamed (34).jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 12
  • unnamed (36).jpg
    unnamed (36).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 13
  • unnamed (40).jpg
    unnamed (40).jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 12
  • unnamed (38).jpg
    unnamed (38).jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 12
  • unnamed (35).jpg
    unnamed (35).jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 12
  • unnamed (32).jpg
    unnamed (32).jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 13

Wolf

Increased copper in your diet? (Peat has said something about copper being associated with pigment) I kinda wish I had your problem. I'm the other kind of blonde that you described but with brown and red tones and as I've gotten older it has lost a lot of the pigment more than going grey per se. If it's that and you don't like it then maybe you're right zinc could offset the copper.
I got this as I increased my copper and He Shou Wu intake. Darker blonde to blonde/brown hair. My hair will photobleach with enough sun exposure however.

mantq

Following the thread. I got the same experience as you over the years, darkened significantly from ages 19 - 27 (now). I still do get as blond as your pre-photos during the summer months though! Makes me wonder if diet has a significant impact on this or not :?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals