Need Help, Anxiety and CJD

OP
J

Jabuger

Hey, I experienced identical symptoms that came on about a year ago. Came suddenly and also got the same twitching you are describing. First few months it was difficult to leave the house. Over the summer it improved a bit (but not the twitching) and I was able to go out again and stuff. This winter it came back but not as extreme.

I have spent most of this year trying to figure it out. I hope I inflicted this on myself through anxiety and not some sort of terrible degenerative disease. Some days I feel OK, some days I feel like an Alzheimer’s patient with extreme anxiety.

Feels surreal having someone describe the exact situation I am in. I tried thiamine and I really don’t think it’s the right move for me.. although years ago I got great benefits from it. It doesn’t really do anything now even at gram doses.
Exactly it’s pretty tough some days. I have noticed a pattern though. I noticed that my anxiety and symptoms all spike after a meal, especially one that didn’t digeste
right leading to GERD and SIBO symptoms such as belching, heart burn or excessive burping leading me to believe that it is also serotonin related. And yes I think the thiamine is helping but it’s kind of plateau’d since I’m not upping my dose or supplementing magnesium, which I am going to do once my bulk powders arrive.

I think it’s also important to do the non-nutritional things and break the routine like going for a walk somewhere you’ve never been before or doing a new hobby, Ray has pointed out the importance of these things in lowering serotonin. I have started trying to be more spontaneous and even though it’s hard I’m trying to push myself, the supplements and diet get you to a certain energy state where you are able to do these things and I think it’s important to recognise when you are able and then acting on that energy and picking yourself back up.

I don’t know how I ended up this way and I definetly took for granted those times when I felt normal. I envy all my friends who are still able to enjoy themselves and have a drink of alcohol and get wasted even though I spent the better part of 2 years. I often think ‘why me?’ but there’s no point, your in the situation now so you may as well pull yourself out. Cheers for the message, hope to hear more on how your getting on and if you find anything in particular that helps shoot it my way :)

Carrot salad (with coconut oil and vinegar) and the thiamine is a big help for me and I suspect the magnesium will be too. I also got good results today from IDEALABS Energin.

martybyrde

Exactly it’s pretty tough some days. I have noticed a pattern though. I noticed that my anxiety and symptoms all spike after a meal, especially one that didn’t digeste
right leading to GERD and SIBO symptoms such as belching, heart burn or excessive burping leading me to believe that it is also serotonin related. And yes I think the thiamine is helping but it’s kind of plateau’d since I’m not upping my dose or supplementing magnesium, which I am going to do once my bulk powders arrive.

I think it’s also important to do the non-nutritional things and break the routine like going for a walk somewhere you’ve never been before or doing a new hobby, Ray has pointed out the importance of these things in lowering serotonin. I have started trying to be more spontaneous and even though it’s hard I’m trying to push myself, the supplements and diet get you to a certain energy state where you are able to do these things and I think it’s important to recognise when you are able and then acting on that energy and picking yourself back up.

I don’t know how I ended up this way and I definetly took for granted those times when I felt normal. I envy all my friends who are still able to enjoy themselves and have a drink of alcohol and get wasted even though I spent the better part of 2 years. I often think ‘why me?’ but there’s no point, your in the situation now so you may as well pull yourself out. Cheers for the message, hope to hear more on how your getting on and if you find anything in particular that helps shoot it my way :)

Carrot salad (with coconut oil and vinegar) and the thiamine is a big help for me and I suspect the magnesium will be too. I also got good results today from IDEALABS Energin.
That’s exactly my situation. If I fast I don’t get many symptoms. Do your symptoms get worse at sunset then much better late at night? It sounds crazy but after midnight I am a thousand times better, consistently.

OP
J

Jabuger

That’s exactly my situation. If I fast I don’t get many symptoms. Do your symptoms get worse at sunset then much better late at night? It sounds crazy but after midnight I am a thousand times better, consistently.
I seem to be worse in the mornings and evenings. I feel pretty good around 12-6pm and then I start to dip again. Im not sure if I feel better after midnight but I felt better last night for sure since I actually got some rest. I don’t usually stay up past midnight anymore because I want to try and get as much rest as possible because I know I don’t sleep as well anymore but yes depending on how well I’ve digested my dinner then I will feel pretty good later on. For example last night I felt kinda restless, anxious etc. from about 8-10 then totally picked up before going to bed with warm hands and feet and mental clarity.

OP
J

Jabuger

@mostlylurking

Most of my symptoms came back yesterday and continue today.

- Dissociation
- brain fog
- zoning out and unable to concentrate
- general feeling of neuropathy in muscles (feeling like I am unable to move them properly, stiff, slow, weak etc)
- extreme fatigue and baggy eyes
- extreme insomnia
- GERD/SIBO like symptoms of constant belching and feeling sick
- depression and random bouts of crying, feeling of dispair
- anxiety
- chronic hyperventilation

I was very depressed today and felt utterly hopeless, it’s feels like I have fell right back into how I felt a month ago I was crying so much I made my Mum cry.

Yesterday I had some extreme GERD/SIBO symptoms that may have cause all of this, I ate 2 very ripe bananas and 2 eggs for breakfast and then a bagel and ham for lunch and a steak with chips for dinner which may have had a cascade effect on me. I feel horrible after eating all the time, It makes me feel all the things listed above and the only thing that seems to give me relief is a carrot salad until I have to eat again.

Yesterday I took
- 1g of thiamine in 2 500mg doses
- Niacinamide 200mg
- Energin 25 drops topically (1 dose)
- Magnoil (1dose)

Today I didn’t take any thiamine to see if it would make a difference but I feel the same either way.

The magnesium didn’t make me feel much better, if anything slightly worse…

Can you help me out here, should I experiment with higher dose thiamine or something else?

Anyone able to help out with the chronic hyperventilation as well? That’s a big problem for me

Could someone else give me a hand here I am still quite new to all this stuff. Also I have liver but slightly afraid to eat because I’ve been seeing a lot of stuff on here about Vit A toxicity.

mostlylurking

Yesterday I had some extreme GERD/SIBO symptoms that may have cause all of this, I ate 2 very ripe bananas and 2 eggs for breakfast and then a bagel and ham for lunch and a steak with chips for dinner which may have had a cascade effect on me. I feel horrible after eating all the time, It makes me feel all the things listed above and the only thing that seems to give me relief is a carrot salad until I have to eat again.
If you eat crap you will feel like crap.

Bananas are high serotonin. I couldn't eat them for years. I can now but it's been a long road to better health.

Bagel = gluten which is so bad that Ray Peat advises that NO ONE should be eating gluten. It will rip your gut up. There's a good reason why one of the Ray Peat inspired food guidance sayings is, "no nuts, no seeds, no grains."

Ham. Oh dear.... Ham is pork. And it has nitrates and nitrites. You need to research food issues more.

Steak: difficult if not impossible to digest if your digestion isn't great. High phosphate which is inflammatory.

Chips: fried? In polyunsaturated fats? Was this eaten in a restaurant?

Your food choices need rethinking.
Yesterday I took
- Niacinamide 200mg
- Magnoil (1dose)
All the supplements in the world cannot make up for what your are putting into your mouth and swallowing.
Today I didn’t take any thiamine to see if it would make a difference but I feel the same either way.
It's your food choices that's the problem.

Can you help me out here, should I experiment with higher dose thiamine or something else?
Fix your diet. Read Ray Peat articles for guidance.

Could someone else give me a hand here I am still quite new to all this stuff. Also I have liver but slightly afraid to eat because I’ve been seeing a lot of stuff on here about Vit A toxicity.
Eat the liver. Spend your time reading Ray Peat articles and listening to Ray Peat interviews and stop relying on anonymous strangers posting on a forum for your health advice.

link to search engine for Ray Peat's written work. Choose the search cell that excludes the forum.
link to search engine for Ray Peat's interviews. Type in a word or two and read the response results. Listen to the ones that are of interest.
Anyone able to help out with the chronic hyperventilation as well? That’s a big problem for me
Are you hypoxic? Can't catch your breath?

martybyrde

@mostlylurking

Most of my symptoms came back yesterday and continue today.

- Dissociation
- brain fog
- general feeling of neuropathy in muscles (feeling like I am unable to move them properly, stiff, slow, weak etc)
- extreme insomnia
- anxiety

I was very depressed today and felt utterly hopeless, it’s feels like I have fell right back into how I felt a month ago I was crying so much I made my Mum cry.

Yesterday I took
- Niacinamide 200mg
- Magnoil (1dose)

I am almost 100% certain this is a gut bacteria issue. I have found relief using TUDCA and modified citrus pectin combined. Do not ask me about the MCP because I have no idea what it’s doing haha. But TUDCA promotes bile flow which should help maintain the bacteria.

Jonk

- Dissociation
- brain fog
- extreme insomnia
- anxiety

Sounds a bit similar to me. Have you checked your vitamin D? I think the symptoms you describe can probably be because of many different deficiencies like calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, B-vitamins etc. I've come to find that both niacinamide and vitamin D are very helpful, but both need to be taken with higher doses of magnesium. Recently I also figured out that I can handle supplementing calcium carbonate taken alongside magnesium. Without the high dose magnesium I have all sorts of nasty side effects. Right now I take 2g niacinamide, 2g magnesium carbonate, 1,7g calcium carbonate and 20K IU vitamin D, all divided into two doses morning and afternoon along with food. I will probably only do the high dose niacinamide for a shorter duration for leaky gut/increasing NAD+ and vitamin D as a longer term solution.

OP
J

Jabuger

Right now I take 2g niacinamide, 2g magnesium carbonate, 1,7g calcium carbonate and 20K IU vitamin D, all divided into two doses morning and afternoon along with food. I will probably only do the high dose niacinamide for a shorter duration for leaky gut/increasing NAD+ and vitamin D as a longer term solution.
I have noticed a slight difference when supplementing Vit D and I have altered my diet trying to completely cut out starch. Thanks for the recommendation although isn't 20k IU a bit excessive and lead to some adverse effects?

What symptoms of the ones you quoted have you had and when did you start to feel better?

OP
J

Jabuger

I am almost 100% certain this is a gut bacteria issue. I have found relief using TUDCA and modified citrus pectin combined. Do not ask me about the MCP because I have no idea what it’s doing haha. But TUDCA promotes bile flow which should help maintain the bacteria.
Me too, I just can't stop burping and belching even with no starch and a raw carrot salad a day...

I feel relatively ok after a sugary meal but it's when I have any sort of protein that isn't milk my stomach acid goes crazy. Even after having those sugary meals I get a fair bit of gas. I will try those things you recommend if I can't fix the issue through diet as supplements are kinda breaking the bank account right now.

Have you found that any foods help or simpler things like activated charcoal or white button mushrooms? I am considering these.

Also worth considering that I feel good after taking some vitamin D in the morning but it tends to have a drop of effect during the day. This morning I had warm temperatures after taking 2k IU vitamin D with a breakfast of just Strawberries, honey and milk. I'm thinking the strawberries may have had a slight adverse reaction later on in the day as my temperatures dropped and stomach issues worsen. The only relief I find is to eat less calories.

Jonk

I have noticed a slight difference when supplementing Vit D and I have altered my diet trying to completely cut out starch. Thanks for the recommendation although isn't 20k IU a bit excessive and lead to some adverse effects?

What symptoms of the ones you quoted have you had and when did you start to feel better?
Without magnesium I have adverse effects even with a lot smaller doses, 10K IU with 1 gram magnesium carbonate I have none. I will have to check my levels soon but since you can get 10-20K IU per day from sunlight I don't think it's necessarily excessive, but long term maybe 4K IU is a more reasonable dose.

I don't know if I've had a problem with dissociation per se or if it's just extreme fatigue and brain fog. Sometimes I've felt like I almost shut off because of the fatigue though. I also only have hyperventilation issues in the early morning hours before waking up. Keeping my intestines clear by various means helps a lot, but it can also go overboard with restricted diet for too long or pushing gut motility too far and getting the same issues that way. I used to have all the other symptoms you described on a daily basis, extreme anxiety probably being the worst of them. Right now my biggest problem is back pain at night, bad sleep and fatigue. The fatigue easily becomes anxiety with too much stress.

OP
J

Jabuger

Without magnesium I have adverse effects even with a lot smaller doses, 10K IU with 1 gram magnesium carbonate I have none. I will have to check my levels soon but since you can get 10-20K IU per day from sunlight I don't think it's necessarily excessive, but long term maybe 4K IU is a more reasonable dose.
honestly this was great advice and I wish I heard it sooner. I’ve also been combining it with red light on my head. I still get some symptoms but today has been the best. The medical system is honestly so messed up, the only solution to all of these symptoms I provided was to get council information and go on sertraline (an SSRI) which they were however reluctant to prescribe. I live in the UK and it’s pitch black by about 4pm so I definetly wasn’t getting enough Vitamin D but I always so D as such a minor thing until now, it’s had a profound effect on me.

I still don’t know exactly what I’m dealing with here but I’m gonna continue with the vitamin D at 6000 IU a day maybe lower the dose once I feel 100%.

I had days where it felt like I was dying. I have a discolouration on my penis that has been worrying me and I’m not sure if they are related. It’s a loss of pigmentation around the tip, a steroid cream the doctors gave me didn’t work and I’m now trying an anti fungal cream that consists of hydrocortisone. I suspect I’ve got lichen sclerosis but the doctors are terribly incompetent.

martybyrde

TUDCA + fiber. This has powerful effects for me, and I suspect whatever toxic thing is in me is being pushed out with the bile, and the fiber acts to prevent the reabsorption of whatever toxic waste is in the bile. Every bowel movement I’ve had since starting improved my baseline a bit. Reminding you I had alarmingly similar symptoms as you, maybe look into bile stuff.

I use MCP or oatmeal in combination with this. MCP is more for binding heavy metals, and the oatmeal is to act as a bile binder. I suppose beans could be a better substitute for oatmeal.

Jonk

honestly this was great advice and I wish I heard it sooner. I’ve also been combining it with red light on my head. I still get some symptoms but today has been the best. The medical system is honestly so messed up, the only solution to all of these symptoms I provided was to get council information and go on sertraline (an SSRI) which they were however reluctant to prescribe. I live in the UK and it’s pitch black by about 4pm so I definetly wasn’t getting enough Vitamin D but I always so D as such a minor thing until now, it’s had a profound effect on me.

I still don’t know exactly what I’m dealing with here but I’m gonna continue with the vitamin D at 6000 IU a day maybe lower the dose once I feel 100%.

I had days where it felt like I was dying. I have a discolouration on my penis that has been worrying me and I’m not sure if they are related. It’s a loss of pigmentation around the tip, a steroid cream the doctors gave me didn’t work and I’m now trying an anti fungal cream that consists of hydrocortisone. I suspect I’ve got lichen sclerosis but the doctors are terribly incompetent.
Glad I could help.

I was also prescribed an SSRI years ago and definitely something I would avoid at all cost.

I can't really give any suggestions with discoloration of the penis. Does it seem like it's actual loss of pigmentation and not lack of blood flow? Is it itching or painful?

Jonk

TUDCA + fiber. This has powerful effects for me, and I suspect whatever toxic thing is in me is being pushed out with the bile, and the fiber acts to prevent the reabsorption of whatever toxic waste is in the bile. Every bowel movement I’ve had since starting improved my baseline a bit. Reminding you I had alarmingly similar symptoms as you, maybe look into bile stuff.

I use MCP or oatmeal in combination with this. MCP is more for binding heavy metals, and the oatmeal is to act as a bile binder. I suppose beans could be a better substitute for oatmeal.
+1.

I really like insoluble fiber. Wheat bran is good at binding bile, and I think rice bran is even better but I haven't tried it. I read somewhere on the forum someone posted a study that beans aren't actually that good at binding bile but I could be misremembering.

OP
J

Jabuger

I can't really give any suggestions with discoloration of the penis. Does it seem like it's actual loss of pigmentation and not lack of blood flow? Is it itching or painful?
Loss of pigmentation yes definitely not lack of blood flow. Not painful or itchy. It used to hurt when I pulled back the foreskin but since I have started taking the D3 and heavily employing red light the inflammation on it seemed to reduce and is no longer painful. I still don't suspect it to be fungal by nature, again I think it is lichen sclerosis.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals