Need To Urinate Preventing Deep Sleep

M

metabolizm

Recently I've been unable to get a really good sleep because I need to go to the toilet 3 or 4 times during the night.

I've tried not drinking much, if anything at all, especially in the evening, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

A weird thing keeps happening where, at a certain point of the evening, it's like my antidiuretic hormone is getting switched on too early - and I barely pee before bed, from like 7-11pm. (I'm not sure that's actually what's happening - I'm speculating). Then, around 3am, I need to go, and it's every couple of hours after that.

Ray said the antidiuretic hormone should activate during sleep and only deactivate at dawn. That makes sense. That enables us to get uninterrupted sleep.

Can anyone help figure out why this might be happening? I'm only getting like 3 hrs of deep sleep at the moment.

SQu

I wish I could say I've fixed my own problem which began with low carb dieting, and waxes and wanes along with my general health for no clear reason. On average it is a good bit better though with peating. For example I don't have it in the daytime at all anymore.

It's all about stress hormones. Histamine I believe, for which cyproheptadine makes a good sleep aid and improves the nocturia. And of course cortisol lowering. I've tried many things and it's hard to say which may work for you but in my case I think I'm still not fully out of fat burning mode and that's the root of the problem.

On my list I'd say keeping blood sugar steadier with three hourly eating is probably key. Even more key is lowering Endotoxin eg the carrot salad. Identifying and avoiding gut irritating food especially from midday on has helped. Starch is clearly a problem. Getting enough calories. There's tons more details that you might find a breakthrough in, but rather than look at many things, it makes sense to deal with the fundamentals first.

OP
M

metabolizm

I wish I could say I've fixed my own problem which began with low carb dieting, and waxes and wanes along with my general health for no clear reason. On average it is a good bit better though with peating. For example I don't have it in the daytime at all anymore.

It's all about stress hormones. Histamine I believe, for which cyproheptadine makes a good sleep aid and improves the nocturia. And of course cortisol lowering. I've tried many things and it's hard to say which may work for you but in my case I think I'm still not fully out of fat burning mode and that's the root of the problem.

On my list I'd say keeping blood sugar steadier with three hourly eating is probably key. Even more key is lowering Endotoxin eg the carrot salad. Identifying and avoiding gut irritating food especially from midday on has helped. Starch is clearly a problem. Getting enough calories. There's tons more details that you might find a breakthrough in, but rather than look at many things, it makes sense to deal with the fundamentals first.

I forgot to mention that, in my case, I suspect it might have something to do with hypertension caused by severe anxiety. But all of those things you suggested are valuable still.

yerrag

- too acidic base balance requires kidney to excrete acids more often, hence more urination

- internal infection requires more immune response, water is a product of that response, and needs to be excreted

Prostate inflammation is a common cause of this in men.

If it’s not that, then it is often hyperventilation. You may want to tape your mouth at night. That often fixes the problem.

1/4 teaspoon of baking soda before bedtime is something I’d otherwise try. That increase in CO2 during the night suppresses the need to urinate as often.

koky

Dr Peat told me he's heard of people taking 1 teaspoon 3x/ per day of urea helps
i've done this (easily mixed w/ oj) and have had less nightime urination

HealingBoy

Before septoplastia, I remember waking up at night to urinate, and holding it all night, I would wake up tired, irritated, anxious and with breath shortness. 4 years later, I sleep with mouth closed, have quite good nights, don't wake up irritated anymore.

Has something to do with breathing I guess ?

redsun

Recently I've been unable to get a really good sleep because I need to go to the toilet 3 or 4 times during the night.

I've tried not drinking much, if anything at all, especially in the evening, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

A weird thing keeps happening where, at a certain point of the evening, it's like my antidiuretic hormone is getting switched on too early - and I barely pee before bed, from like 7-11pm. (I'm not sure that's actually what's happening - I'm speculating). Then, around 3am, I need to go, and it's every couple of hours after that.

Ray said the antidiuretic hormone should activate during sleep and only deactivate at dawn. That makes sense. That enables us to get uninterrupted sleep.

Can anyone help figure out why this might be happening? I'm only getting like 3 hrs of deep sleep at the moment.

Vitamin C may help make more ADH and prevent urinating in the middle of the night.

Also, extra weight in the gut and food bulk will just increase how much pressure there is and this can push the bladder more than usual. Possible it depends on if you are overweight and bloated in the belly. I would have to get up and urinate in the middle of the night when I ate too much food before bed because the increased pressure in the abdomen from the food. Still vitamin C should help.

OP
M

metabolizm

Thanks for all the suggestions @ecstatichamster @redsun @HealingBoy @koky @yerrag . Just as an update:

What's been happening is that I'm peeing copiously during the day, but at some point in the evening after 6pm I basically stop peeing, even if I continue drinking. Then, around 3am, I start peeing again - several times. Interrupting my deep sleep.

I don't know what's going on here. It's as though my vasopressin is getting switched on too early. Another possibility is prostate inflammation, and another possibility is gut irritation - it's been feeling very irritated and bloated lately, possibly due to eating brown rice, so there may well be a connection there. I just can't get my head around why things get so bad around 6pm, and then the waterworks open again during the night.

It would be a miracle if I could solve this, because having a completely uninterrupted sleep would do wonders for my health.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

metabolizm

Prostate inflammation is a common cause of this in men.

If it’s not that, then it is often hyperventilation. You may want to tape your mouth at night. That often fixes the problem.

1/4 teaspoon of baking soda before bedtime is something I’d otherwise try. That increase in CO2 during the night suppresses the need to urinate as often.

I'm starting to wonder whether this might indeed be prostate inflammation. I suppose it would make sense that it's worse in the evening, and improves while I'm sleeping, which is why I'm able to pee so copiously during the night - the swelling is reduced after a few hours of sleep.

In an email to me Ray said: Inflammation in the intestine can raise systemic or regional histamine and serotinin enough to cause prostate swelling. Avoiding starchy vegetables, might help; supplementing vitamin D and thyroid can reduce inflammation. An antihistamine (diphenhydrame or cyproheptadine) and aspirin can reduce prostate swelling, and might help the intestine too.

My intestine has been significantly inflamed recently, for whatever reason, so this could be causing prostate swelling. I might have to try some aspirin...and avoid anything that might be hard to digest. Let's see if that works.

@ecstatichamster have you recovered from prostate swelling symptoms? What did you do?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to wonder whether this might indeed be prostate inflammation. I suppose it would make sense that it's worse in the evening, and improves while I'm sleeping, which is why I'm able to pee so copiously during the night - the swelling is reduced after a few hours of sleep.

In an email to me Ray said: Inflammation in the intestine can raise systemic or regional histamine and serotinin enough to cause prostate swelling. Avoiding starchy vegetables, might help; supplementing vitamin D and thyroid can reduce inflammation. An antihistamine (diphenhydrame or cyproheptadine) and aspirin can reduce prostate swelling, and might help the intestine too.

My intestine has been significantly inflamed recently, for whatever reason, so this could be causing prostate swelling. I might have to try some aspirin...and avoid anything that might be hard to digest. Let's see if that works.

@ecstatichamster have you recovered from prostate swelling symptoms? What did you do?

raising CO2 levels fixed it for me. A famotidine tablet before bed may work as it is also a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. The baking soda. Thiamine loading 1500mg or so a day for a week. Bag breathing.

OP
M

metabolizm

raising CO2 levels fixed it for me. A famotidine tablet before bed may work as it is also a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. The baking soda. Thiamine loading 1500mg or so a day for a week. Bag breathing.

Thank you, I'll include those in my arsenal, although I'm becoming more and more confident that Ray was right again: intestinal inflammation and gas has contributed to the problem.

S.Seneff

Perhaps your melatonin level rises to protect your gut but it sends a false night signal at the same time.

OP
M

metabolizm

Perhaps your melatonin level rises to protect your gut but it sends a false night signal at the same time.

Interesting theory. It might be that the prostate inflammation is structurally at its worst around 6pm, and that's constricting urine flow. Then, around 2am, the inflammation reduces dramatically and the waterworks open.

Or, as you suggest, it's really a signalling issue: I don't know if that's possible.

In any event, it's essential that I do what I can to reduce gut inflammation. I'll update the thread if there are improvements.

S.Seneff

Take glycine with your meal is an option. Or you could do fasting.

S.Seneff

GelatinGoblin

I'm not sure there is enough glycine in oxtail soup. But if you eat much and prepare yourself, perhaps it is ok.
For the inflammation : https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(19)30850-5

What would be a good glycine source? Apologizing if I'm derailing the thread but I've assumed oxtail and other gelatinus cuts of meat are best, soon I plan to go to some nearby arab folks that sell good meat and buy oxtail if they have it.
Supposedly I've heard it's either high in gelatin or soley glycine, both of which are desirable -- so is oxtail enough for our purposes?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals