New Here - Heartburn Advice

palebluedot

New here!

Years of low carb/keto/fasting/extreme salad and veggie eater/green juicer/carnivore (keto carnivore as they call it most recently). I’m 34 F, was competitive athlete when I was younger, and then spent many years over exercising and probably under eating. Except during binging bouts that would come about of course.

Came to “peat” style eating recommendations via youtube algorithms recommending Strong Sistas interview, then went down the Danny Roddy rabbit hole. Read Kate Deering’s book and have been slowly figuring out this forum.

Currently my issues:
  1. High stress- I’m exhausted and feel super overwhelmed a lot, very burnt out and negative. It’s a ball of fun! Sometimes I could legit lay in bed all day, no problem.
  2. bad sleep - racing heartbeat, get up at night to urinate at least once per nt, crazy nightmares regularly
  3. slow digestion - HEARTBURN currently, up two nights in a row with burning stomach, belching and nausea, and very sour mouth around 4am. General bowel irregularity- I cycle between too much and too little.

I’m pretty sure I have low stomach acid (perhaps gastritis or some kind of h pylori manifestation), probably fatty liver (I have a history of over indulging in drink etc), certainly can suspect hypothyroid (as COVID times have made me take my temp multiple times a day at work I have noticed that I trend to be low temperature, higher in the afternoon evening), and hormones seem a bit askew, low libido. I haven’t done any bloodwork or tests… due to circumstances I don’t really do the mainstream medical world. I’m not opposed to getting tests done out of pocket, I just don’t know where to start. Haven’t seen a doc in … well… can’t remember. I was probably 27.

I live in higher altitude, so I think that’s one positive - 7500 ft. I’m not overweight, but certainly a bit fuller after adding back some carbs and sugar. Not really too worried about the weight gain, as I’ve accepted that seems to be part of healing after restriction. Ok truthfully, I'm vain, I work in a vain industry, and it's hard to gain weight.

What I’ve tried
1a. Limiting exercise to very little- like 1 yoga/pilates session per week, walking the dogs
2a. Aspirin (starting with baby aspirin 3x a day), Niacinamide, MK-7, Bovine thyroid (desiccated, I’ve just been taking it straight), glycine (was hoping this would help the stress and sleep). Also tried some Cascara Sagrada (NOW brand)… not sure about it.
Should I be taking it out of the capsule and making a tea? I took it twice and decided to look into it more.
3a. For the heartburn- water with baking soda (makes a slight difference, but no miracle), digestive enzymes, activated charcoal. Going to cut out coca cola… and keep the fats low (like 30% daily).

The last couple of nights the only thing I had different was a Mexican bottled coke on each day… later in the evening. Oh and a bit of ice cream before bed last night…

General diet: waking with OJ (not from concentrate pulp free), skim milk or 1%, coffee with sugar+gelatin (great lakes)+salt+a little half and half. Later I’ll have some low fat cottage cheese (good kind w/o gums and fillers), some melon or cooked pears and apples (peeled and cooked well with a little coconut oil and cinnamon)

I’ll snack on skim milk with gelatin, raw carrots (haven’t made the salad yet), some raw gouda and clean dried mangos.

Lunch is usually a couple eggs with the cooked fruit, or liver and sugared onions (1x per week) cooked in coconut oil and butter, or canned smoked oysters with cooked mushrooms and Parmesan and a side of fruit,

afternoon snack usually milk again (sometimes I’ll make a sweetened milk with gelatin), I tried mexican coke (I love it, but I think it upset my stomach and gave me this heartburn).

Dinners have been relatively light (compared to the keto carnivore days), cooked squashes (I love zucchini in butter, roasted butternut and other gourds), either shrimp or white fish lightly cooked or steamed, I love muscles and scallops. I’ve been doing beef once or twice a week in the form of a burger patty or stew. Also I try to sip on bone broth while eating any meat. I do eat chicken, but I’m trying to limit it to 1x per week max. I’ve added white rice and yellow potatoes. Still limited though, as in not every day. I’ve been trying a little milk and honey before bed, doesn’t seem to put me to sleep, but it also hasn’t triggered the reflux like the coke and ice cream. I've been eating this way for about 3 weeks now.

The only other time I can remember having heartburn troubles was five years ago while buying my home… stress related? I have some major life changes looming ahead, not to mention the general uncertainty that is 2020 covid chicanery and chaos.

Intuitively I feel like this is an ideal diet inclusive of nutrients and exclusive of disrupters, it’s going to take some time to heal and adjust. A main factor I need to work on is stress. Any tips, especially about this heartburn/reflux… much appreciated!

somuch4food

Coconut oil, apples, apple juice and applesauce do seem to help with heartburn sometimes.You could also try gelatin.

With your history of low carb and lots of exercise, you probably have bad adrenals. Go easy on sugar and fruits, test out which ones you tolerate best to avoid blood sugar rollercoasters. Salt your food to taste. Try different things with regards to starch and fruits. It seems to be individualistic. I myself tolerate fruits more during summer when in season. In winter, I eat about one fruit and limit sugar. It seems necessary in my case.

OP
P

palebluedot

Coconut oil, apples, apple juice and applesauce do seem to help with heartburn sometimes.You could also try gelatin.

With your history of low carb and lots of exercise, you probably have bad adrenals. Go easy on sugar and fruits, test out which ones you tolerate best to avoid blood sugar rollercoasters. Salt your food to taste. Try different things with regards to starch and fruits. It seems to be individualistic. I myself tolerate fruits more during summer when in season. In winter, I eat about one fruit and limit sugar. It seems necessary in my case.
Thanks for the tip! I have some cooked peeled apples, think I'll blend them up for a sauce. Sounds good!

Recoen

Enough B vitamins especially B1 can be helpful for heart burn/ slow motility. And of course hypothyroidism doesn’t help.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals