New pet (cat) checklist?

Hi all,

We have a brand new pet in our household (7 week old female cat) and I’m looking for some Peaty forums tips & tricks, including the following (but not restricting to) aspects:

* deworming
* cleaning
* nutrition
* hygiene:
** both cat itself and how the cat interract with all of the stuff around us
** how to avoid the gross factor - for example, how to arrange things to make it safe and comfortable for us (the humans) when the cat roams around, especially bedsheets, sofas, etc.
** hand washing, …

Thanks in advance!

Jonk

Hi all,

We have a brand new pet in our household (7 week old female cat) and I’m looking for some Peaty forums tips & tricks, including the following (but not restricting to) aspects:

* deworming
* cleaning
* nutrition
* hygiene:
** how to avoid the gross factor - for example, how to arrange things to make it safe and comfortable for us (the humans) when the cat roams around, especially bedsheets, sofas, etc.
** hand washing, …

Thanks in advance!
I have two cats and I'm not particularly peaty with the food more than that we give them a mix of frozen meats/organs/bones without additives. Makes their poop almost odorless and they seem to feel good on it. I think it's at least a lot better than the regular commercial kibble-stuff. Even some frozen meat/organ mixes have safflower oil so make sure to check ingredients.

OP
S
@Jonk - Thanks for the reply:
Do you cook the organs, meat, and bones, and if Yes, how? (I would guess a simple boiling will do)
or, do you give them raw?

OP
S
Thanks @Jonk
What about some hygiene tips & tricks?

Like for example - how to keep the mind calm from the occasional gross factor ;)

or, since we have a summer house, we’ll have to bring our cat with us essentially every week for weekends, and I’m wondering how to address cleaning of the cat after the kitty was around the yard messing around the whole weekend.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jonk

Thanks @Jonk
What about some hygiene tips & tricks?

Like for example - how to keep the mind calm from the occasional gross factor ;)

or, since we have a summer house, we’ll have to bring our cat with us essentially every week for weekends, and I’m wondering how to address cleaning of the cat after the kitty was around the yard messing around the whole weekend.

Thanks!
No problem!

I don't have any more tips really. Cats are pretty hygienic but since it's young maybe you can introduce it to water as soon as possible. I'm guessing it's much easier learning it now rather than later. But cats are super easy to deal with, just give it lots of nutritious food and love. If it's inside a lot you should have some toys and stuff to climb on. Also take small amounts of time during each day where you give it your undivided attention, even though they're not "pack animals" they are very social

Nfinkelstein

tip 1: don't vax, and if you already vaxxed, don't repeat
tip 2: always neuter/spay

* deworming: will likely not be an issue, but organic garlic powder once awhile in food is ok (you will read on the internet that garlic/allium is toxic to cats but it's not a problem in limited amounts infrequently)

* nutrition: raw chicken ground up, include chicken liver, give whole chicken necks too as the bones are great but stay away from other bones

* litter box: go with unscented always always, simple unscented clay-based litter

* don't let outside if possible, the cat will live much longer as an indoor cat, provide a window perch with a birdfeeder outside the window for endless entertainment

Nokoni

Sometimes there is a trade-off between health and happiness. I sure do miss potato chips. Being more of a health absolutist may be more appropriate with children, to whom you can explain your actions, whether now or in the future. Whereas your cat may be less able to understand your actions, and instead just think you don't love him as much as you might. The cat I rescued most recently was already a two time loser at the shelter so she's known tough times. So I do everything I can to reduce her stress. For example, she likes kibble so she gets kibble. It may be that I will not have her, therefore, for quite as long as I otherwise would but there's something to be said for trying to provide a happier life too.

Nfinkelstein

Sometimes there is a trade-off between health and happiness. I sure do miss potato chips. Being more of a health absolutist may be more appropriate with children, to whom you can explain your actions, whether now or in the future. Whereas your cat may be less able to understand your actions, and instead just think you don't love him as much as you might. The cat I rescued most recently was already a two time loser at the shelter so she's known tough times. So I do everything I can to reduce her stress. For example, she likes kibble so she gets kibble. It may be that I will not have her, therefore, for quite as long as I otherwise would but there's something to be said for trying to provide a happier life too.
agreed and very true. But as a thought, it might be possible to transition to raw by getting some chicken liver and mashing it into a paste and adding it to the kibble, cats usually like chicken liver tons although not always right away.

Nokoni

agreed and very true. But as a thought, it might be possible to transition to raw by getting some chicken liver and mashing it into a paste and adding it to the kibble, cats usually like chicken liver tons although not always right away.
Interesting idea, thank you. But I see warnings on the net about eating raw chicken that make me hesitant. She does enjoy "chicken and liver" canned cat food, and I feed her that (and other canned cat foods) also, in addition to just the kibble. But even of that (/those) she eats only a small amount before hitting her beloved kibble. It's her strong preference so I'll probably just continue to respect it.

BTW, a small tip related to cleaning the litter box. There's a brand of plastic bag called "Bos" that totally seals in the smell. None of it passes through the plastic to stink up the room. I get them from Amazon and they're fantastic.

Nfinkelstein

Interesting idea, thank you. But I see warnings on the net about eating raw chicken that make me hesitant. She does enjoy "chicken and liver" canned cat food, and I feed her that (and other canned cat foods) also, in addition to just the kibble. But even of that (/those) she eats only a small amount before hitting her beloved kibble. It's her strong preference so I'll probably just continue to respect it.

BTW, a small tip related to cleaning the litter box. There's a brand of plastic bag called "Bos" that totally seals in the smell. None of it passes through the plastic to stink up the room. I get them from Amazon and they're fantastic.
thanks I didn't know about the Bos bags. About the raw, it can seem weird at first I know, but it will be fine. While it is true that store bought chicken raw may have salmonella it won't be a problem for cats, they are obligate carnivores and if you introduce it slowly you're kitty will likely enjoy it very much. Re processed cat foods, it's good you are doing more kibble than canned, the kibble is generally better for them as long as they have access to unlimited water.

Ecureuil77

Hi all,

* deworming
* cleaning
* nutrition
* hygiene:
** hand washing, …

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

On June 23 it will be exactly a year since we rescued our beautiful kitten from the middle of a busy road. He's a male and the vet guessed he was about 7 week's old, just like yours.
At the start I didn't know better and fed him special kitten dry food alongside kitten wet food. He thrived, no doubt, but then I found out that cats fed on dry food always end up with kidney problems because of dehydration (cats naturally don't drink a lot, they're originally dessert animals from Egypt, they get their hydration from their freshly-caught prey). So I did some research and ended up buying canned wet food from Germany (through Amazon) that is 95% pure meat/organs alongside the necessary missing vitamins and minerals (and Taurine, essential). It's a complete cat food. Making cat feed at home that is adequate isn't easy, meat on its own won't cut it.
Matty has thrived ever since, we had him castrated at 8 months (didn't put on any weight, like they warned me about) and is now a full-grown healthy and happy cat. Very loving and sociable.
He gets some snacks in the form of dried little fish (no other ingredients) and dried chunks of venison, that's all. And then all the mice and birds he catches. His diet needs to be 99% meat.
Ah, I nearly forgot. When we got him home as a kitten, we showed him the litter tray once and that was it. We've never had a problem with having to do any extra cleaning. Cats are extremely neat.
We did vaccinate him and I deworm and deparasite him every couple of months.
Aside from that, they need lots of love and attention and they also give it back!
I hope you enjoy your new kitten as much as us. I was a dog person until that day. He converted me!

OP
S

Nokoni

are these Bos bags the same as the ones you use?
Actually no, I've never seen those. Maybe they are new, or something only available in the EU. Mine are general purpose, not cat specific. But I'll bet they are equally effective.

Nokoni

access to unlimited water
She definitely has that. Plus with every small feeding of wet food (multiple times per day) I add a teaspoon of water and mix it in. So she gets plenty of water. For those with male cats (I've had many), it's worth noting that males have an even greater need for water to avoid getting crystals in the urine, apparently due to having a longer urethra.

Nfinkelstein

She definitely has that. Plus with every small feeding of wet food (multiple times per day) I add a teaspoon of water and mix it in. So she gets plenty of water. For those with male cats (I've had many), it's worth noting that males have an even greater need for water to avoid getting crystals in the urine, apparently due to having a longer urethra.
good thinking --- adding water to the meal forces them to drink it, and what you say about male cats is true, some people buy those little water fountains as cats sometimes are more inclined to drink from them than a water dish.

Ecureuil77

Thanks a lot everyone for the prompt and comprehensive respones!

@Nokoni are these Bos bags the same as the ones you use?
Amazon product ASIN B06Y3T1F2PView: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/BOS-Amazing-Odor-Sealing-Poop-Bags/dp/B06Y3T1F2P?ref_=ast_sto_dp

@Ecureuil77 can you point me to exact name of the canned wet food you’re buying from Amazon Germany (since I’m in the EU and shop regularly from amazon.de)?

Thanks again
Hi there,
Sorry I never saw your question. I hope I'm still on time.
I buy Venandi brand. They're mono protein, so you either get a mixed pack of several types of meat or all the same meat type. It's a complete food, no need to supplement with anything else but water (if they're thirsty at all, my cats hardly ever drink because it's all wet food). It contains no veg, no grains, nothing, only meat, which is the only thing a cat should eat.
My cats are in excellent health eating this food. They used to be aggressive at meal times when I still gave them commercial food (they crave the crap). Ever since I switched they wait patiently for me to clean the bowls and dispense the food and they don't overeat at all, their weight is just perfect.
I give them some snacks for interaction, but they're also 100% meat, dehydrated cubes in this case. Also German from Amazon, I think they're called SnackOmio, not sure of the spelling.
If my mail comes too late, I'd be interested to know which food you ended up buying.
Edit: forgot to add that you don't have to buy from Amazon, you can buy directly from Venandi Germany as well.

OP
S
@Ecureuil77 Thanks a lot for the recommendation and no worries - I’ll order some from Venandi products to try out.

In the meantime, we are feeding the kitten mostly from some supposedly premium brand found in our local pet store - MAC’s Kitten, it says Made in Germany, so fingers crossed it’s quality ;)
Amazon product ASIN B07N78D53YView: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Grain-Free-Kitten-Turkey-Chicken-Salmon/dp/B07N78D53Y/ref=sr_1_16?crid=15LGDWSW3BOQO&keywords=mac%27s+kitten&qid=1688538749&sprefix=mac%27s+kitten%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-16

Ecureuil77

@Ecureuil77 Thanks a lot for the recommendation and no worries - I’ll order some from Venandi products to try out.

In the meantime, we are feeding the kitten mostly from some supposedly premium brand found in our local pet store - MAC’s Kitten, it says Made in Germany, so fingers crossed it’s quality ;)
Amazon product ASIN B07N78D53YView: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Grain-Free-Kitten-Turkey-Chicken-Salmon/dp/B07N78D53Y/ref=sr_1_16?crid=15LGDWSW3BOQO&keywords=mac%27s+kitten&qid=1688538749&sprefix=mac%27s+kitten%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-16L

Late reply again. Just wanted to tell you that the food you're feeding your kitten looks great. Really similar to Venandi. The main difference being that Venandi is monoprotein (only one animal protein exclusively) and MAC has both several meats and fish. Unless you have an allergic cat, it should be perfectly fine.
On the other hand, I tend to stick to ruminants ("Peating" cats), so I only buy beef and lamb for them. I used to get the chicken and turkey, but I swear they became a little aggressive on those (PUFAs?)
Who knows, but just in case ;-)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals