Ocular progesterone administration may treat eye, brain, and mental illness

haidut

Forum Supporter
A few months ago, I posted a study demonstrating improvement in localized, ocular steroidogenesis by administration of a small amount of niacinamide (as an aqueous solution) directly into the eye. I think user @ecstatichamster may have already tried this himself and I think he even started a thread on the forum about this topic. Anyways, It looks like ocular administration of a variety of substances is a hot topic in research circles, as I saw a number of other studies published in high-profile journals since then, and they all advocated for the administration of anti-inflammatory drugs and antioxidant substances directly into the eye. Since the retina is part of the central nervous system (CNS) that approach seems promising. However, up until now most of the discussion on ocular administration has revolved around hydrophilic chemicals, be that niacinamide, other vitamins, or pharma drugs. However, the study below demonstrates that ocular administration is a viable route even for lipophilic substances such as progesterone. Namely, the study found strong therapeutic effects against retinitis pigmentosa from the ocular administration of the HED ~0.1mg/kg progesterone, twice daily, into each eye, for 10 days. The study suggests that the same approach can be used for other retina diseases too. As I mentioned earlier, since the retina is part of the CNS, I would extend that claim to neurological diseases as well. In addition, considering the mental/cognition effects of steroids, the ocular administration of steroids such as progesterone, pregnenolone, DHEA, androgen, etc may be a viable and targeted treatment for mental health conditions as well.

Topical Ocular Administration of Progesterone Decreases Photoreceptor Cell Death in Retinal Degeneration Slow (rds) Mice
Topical ocular administration of progesterone could be viable treatment for retinitis pigmentosa
"...Over the course of his doctoral research, Dr Alambiaga, under the supervision of Prof López Castellano and Dr Calatayud, developed a range of pharmaceutical formulations of progesterone for topical delivery to the eye. These included aqueous solutions, which increase the durability and diffusion of the molecules on the ocular surface, and ocular inserts, which increase the contact time of the drug on the ocular surface, increase drug availability to the body, and enable a controlled release, more precise dosages and less frequent administration. For the group's lead researcher, Professor Alicia López Castellano, who specializes in pharmaceutical technology at CEU UCH, Dr Alambiaga's thesis shows that "we have demonstrated for the first time that topical administration of progesterone in the eye is viable. This opens up possible new therapeutic strategies for retinitis pigmentosa patients, and by extension for patients with other eye conditions in which oxidative stress is a risk factor, such as glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration, macular edema due to retinal vein occlusion, cytomegalovirus retinitis, posterior uveitis and diabetic retinopathy."

Last edited:
I've noticed that applying things in the orbit of the eye but not in the eye, seems to be quite powerful, enabling a lot of testing.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I've noticed that applying things in the orbit of the eye but not in the eye, seems to be quite powerful, enabling a lot of testing.

On the temples and scalp also works quite well. I will ask Peat if it is OK to put progesterone in tocopherols/oil in the eye. I think somebody asked him in the past but his answer was somewhat ambiguous.

On the temples and scalp also works quite well. I will ask Peat if it is OK to put progesterone in tocopherols/oil in the eye. I think somebody asked him in the past but his answer was somewhat ambiguous.

when my wife was applying Progest-E in her orbit, her eye began tearing and she had to stop.

aguilaroja

My recollection is that some years back, Dr. Peat discussed a helpful result for one or more people using DHEA eyedrops. I do not recall that he supplied details of how the eyedrop solution was prepared.

LeeLemonoil

Well peat mentioned T3-eyedrops years ago. Aren’t much different from the chemical properties, also a fat soluble molecule. Vitamin A eye-salves Are also widely in use.

Thanks Haidut for another gem

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
My recollection is that some years back, Dr. Peat discussed a helpful result for one or more people using DHEA eyedrops. I do not recall that he supplied details of how the eyedrop solution was prepared.

Thanks for sharing. I will see what exists in the literature in terms of making steroid eye drops. I bet in some of the formulations they simply used water and a more hydrophilic steroid ester such as the sulfate of say DHEA or pregnenolone, as those get hydrolyzed when applied in the eye and then get absorbed in their unesterified form.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
when my wife was applying Progest-E in her orbit, her eye began tearing and she had to stop.

It may be due to the high concentration of tocopherols in Progest-E. Vitamin E can be very irritating to the eye the same way it is quite irritating to the gut lining of some people. So, maybe diluting with some MCT or olive oil would work better?

Regina

so
It may be due to the high concentration of tocopherols in Progest-E. Vitamin E can be very irritating to the eye the same way it is quite irritating to the gut lining of some people. So, maybe diluting with some MCT or olive oil would work better?
Sometimes a llittle Progestene gets in my eye. Melanon has also gotten in my eye. As long as it is only a teeny bit, it doesn't bother me at all. I have a skin tag far back on my eyelid. I've used both prog and melanon on the tag and the product always end up in my eye.
I like the brightness of my eyes and a feeling of clarity.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
so

Sometimes a llittle Progestene gets in my eye. Melanon has also gotten in my eye. As long as it is only a teeny bit, it doesn't bother me at all. I have a skin tag far back on my eyelid. I've used both prog and melanon on the tag and the product always end up in my eye.
I like the brightness of my eyes and a feeling of clarity.

Great, thanks for sharing. I am surprised that Progestene does not sting considering how much ethanol it has as a solvent. You meant Progestene, right? Not Progest-E?
Also, did the MelaNon/Progestene help with the tag?

Yes indeed. Probably progesterone in MCT oil would have been better. Progesterone was used early on to treat glaucoma, successfully.

Motorneuron

I find a positive effect if I use raw extra virgin olive oil rich in polyphenols and vitamin E, replacing it with the classic shampoo .. @haidut

Makrosky

Interesting topic haidut. Thanks a lot!

Now. Why do you mention temples and scalp? Why would those be different than, say, an arm or a leg? Just proximity?

golder

Somewhat on topic, has anyone noticed anything that increases the whiteness of the eyes?

Regina

Great, thanks for sharing. I am surprised that Progestene does not sting considering how much ethanol it has as a solvent. You meant Progestene, right? Not Progest-E?
Also, did the MelaNon/Progestene help with the tag?
Yes. Progestene and MelaNon. The tag is flatter and now matches my skin tone. But I forgot about it. I'll be diligent for a couple of weeks and report results. Thx!

I accidentally grabbed the wrong dropper bottle and wound up burning my cornea (almost off) because the alkalinity was not right. The pH of the eye is normally (7.0 to 7.3). It is important to neutralize the chemical and return the pH to neutral to irritation or a burn. I could have lost my vision. I don’t advise experimenting at home.
Haidut if you make one, please give the bottle distinguishing characteristics to avoid errors.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals