Orthorexia

Momma

Read a comment on a Peat video saying that the Ray Peat Forum is fringe community full of orthorexics. I would like to hear your support or argument against this statement or observation.

I did a search using the RPF search feature and was surprised to see it not talked about here? I think it’s a relevant topic since most peoples dietary background’s had them land here.

LadyRae

The term annoys me. Apparently one has a "condition" if one actively searches out health promoting food in our current culture of industrialized, rancid packaged products filled with toxic oils and void of micronutrients.

But one can completely eliminate a macronutrient group and be considered healthy and intelligent? (Keto/Carnivore)

Additionally, the similarity between the terms Orthorexia and Anorexia marginalizes the horror of true anorexia.

Because I care so much, I'm the one with the problem? Come on!

Limon9

Read a comment on a Peat video saying that the Ray Peat Forum is fringe community full of orthorexics. I would like to hear your support or argument against this statement or observation.

I did a search using the RPF search feature and was surprised to see it not talked about here? I think it’s a relevant topic since most peoples dietary background’s had them land here.
I think orthorexia is a made-up term to medicalize people who won't eat slop.

From Wikipedia:
"Symptoms of orthorexia nervosa include "obsessive focus on food choice, planning, purchase, preparation, and consumption; food regarded primarily as source of health rather than pleasure; distress or disgust when in proximity to prohibited foods; exaggerated faith that inclusion or elimination of particular kinds of food can prevent or cure disease or affect daily well-being"

[the meaning of "obsessive" and "exaggerated" depends upon the authorities' definition of "normal"]
We can avoid all of these worrying symptoms by getting high twice daily on Kentucky Fried Chicken-arachidonate-derived endocannabinoids. Orthorexia sounds bad because we implicitly imagine the orthorexic feeling trapped or obligated, but these are "unpeaty" emotions native to far more popular fad diets and exercise plans, and to the culture itself. I guess you could say the mainstream is orthorexic about orthorexia, becoming distressed and disgusted by non-compliance.

Elie

Forum Supporter
Let it slide.
Focus on you.
Enjoy the ride.

OP
M

Momma

Let it slide.
Focus on you.
Enjoy the ride.
Does this address the question? I think it is an idea worth bouncing around or a conversation worth having. You don’t agree I presume.

GTW

Sup, Niggas?
Like the word discrimination. What's wrong with discrimination vs distinguishing differences?
I'll take orthorexia as a compliment.
Proud to be anti-vax too.

Nomane Euger

Hi,

i suggest that the answer depends on the precise meaning that the person gives to the word "orthorexic", if you are interested in their opinion, I suggest that you ask the people who wrote those comments claiming that "the Ray Peat Forum is fringe community full of orthorexics" what they meant precisely by that,

if you are not interested in their opinion,and you want to talk about this topic overall, I suggest that you explicit the sense you give to the word"orthorexia", I will suggest a perspective with pleasure

i wish you fun

Last edited:

redsun

There are definitely some orthorexics here. Avoiding foods because they cause you literal pain like gut problems is not orthorexic. Or if you have an actual allergy. Or for some other reason you feel very bad from this food. This is not what is meant by orthorexia.

Its when you are very obsessive about controlling what foods you eat and avoiding a multitude of foods/food groups due to a false belief that they are inheritantly bad for you or not meant for human consumption even if you don't experience anything negative from these foods. If a large portion of your thoughts and time out of your day constantly revolves around food and diet, this is likely orthorexia.

If you are one of those that eats a primarily liquid diet, can you really tell people that you aren't orthorexic with a straight face?

Same goes for beef and rice only people. Other forums you have people eating just meat and vegetables. This are just a few examples. Not only are these orthorexic eating patterns, these diets are also inadequate and will lead eventually to nutrient deficiencies and health problems. That is another major issue besides the effects of orthorexia on mental health and well-being. Many people just dont understand whats in their foods, so they have no idea how to compensate when they eliminate certain food groups to prevent deficiencies. Or better yet they develop a belief based off some guru that that particular nutrient is not that important so they shouldn't worry about it.

"Due to the rigid nature of the eating patterns of someone struggling with orthorexia, the disorder can result in malnutrition, serious nutrient deficiencies and other life-threatening consequences such as anemia, osteoporosis, hormone imbalances and an abnormally slow heart rate."

feedandseed

"Orthorexia" is possible in the sense that overly adhering to exact macro/micro ratios or TOTAL pufa avoidance (for example refusing in all contexts to eat chicken, fish, or meat due to natural pufa content) or otherwise experiencing psychological distress is probably comparable to OCD.

"Orthorexia" in the sense of avoiding the myriad toxic chemicals in the mainstream "diet" or avoiding foods to which you have a measurable allergic reaction (due likely to impurities in childhood vaccines) is classic medical gaslighting.

"Stop avoiding food you have a reaction to! You're Orthorexic! Just eat what everyone else eats and take our $10,000/dose monoclonal antibodies to cover symptoms! Conform!"

OP
M

Momma

Thanks everyone so far who has commented.
I am defining it not so much as to what people do or do not eat; but their approach to food- their attitudes towards food and their body or looks. I read much ill health here, which I should expect because we are a cross section of people.
Thanks again and i would love to hear from others too.

Jennifer

If you are one of those that eats a primarily liquid diet, can you really tell people that you aren't orthorexic with a straight face?

Yes, for reasons you listed below:

Avoiding foods because they cause you literal pain like gut problems is not orthorexic. Or if you have an actual allergy. Or for some other reason you feel very bad from this food. This is not what is meant by orthorexia.

Nomane Euger

Thanks everyone so far who has commented.
I am defining it not so much as to what people do or do not eat; but their approach to food- their attitudes towards food and their body or looks. I read much ill health here, which I should expect because we are a cross section of people.
Thanks again and i would love to hear from others too.
Hi,okay,

i suggest that a person ignoring their positive or negative feelings, because they have read/heard somewhere that it is better/worst for them to do/not do something, could legitimately be considered "orthorexia",

this phenomenon is absolutely not exclusive or most common on the ray peat forum, it is a phenomenon that can be observed everywhere, irl and on the internet,

The word "orthorexia" is often used pejoratively on the internet as well as the ray peat forum, often enough as a demeaning term, whereas if the people who use this word would probe their own tendencies/actions, they would realize that most of them have actions/trends that can legitimately be considered "orthorexia",

or who manifest a similar phenomenon in other aspects of their lives, such as working for years in something they dislike because they have been told it is beneficial to them, while many of them do not benefit as they would hope from this task they dislike

changing your diet by giving priority to how you feel and how you are affected by these foods, while trying to reach the highest degree of pleasure in tasting, and highest degree of well being afterward,is not "orthorexia",regardless of what you eat even if you only eat snails, or you are vegan, carnivore, liquid only diet, meat only diet...etc

i suggest theories should only potentially bring a person to experiment with new things,with out cultivating "orthorexia"behaviors to the readers/listeners,yet actually a lot of readers/listeners are prone to "orthorexia"behaviors,and a lot of writers/speakers do cultivate these "orthorexia"behaviors,some on purpose,some not on purpose

i wish you fun

Last edited:

A-Tim

Yeah seems like a fair assessment. People go to health forums when they're suffering, to find information that might help to alleviate the suffering. So you're at a uniquely vulnerable moment and you can myopically focus on one thing to try and fix it.

In this forum's case, a lot of emphasis goes on food and supplements. I think one method for counterbalancing this instinct is the buddhist idea of equanimity. It's a subtle and tricky state of mind to reach habitually, but very helpful, I think, for something like orthorexia.

OP
M

Momma

I like this so far. I am posting here because it may help someone move in the right direction. Georgi speaks of keeping it simple. Sugar = good. And he mentions orthorexia. A first I believe.

OP
M

Momma

I see, or read, a lot of this on the forum. Posting as a PSA or for awareness.

Peatful

Thoughtful video above from a guy I never heard of- interviewing Georgi / Haduit

PopSocket

Thoughtful video above from a guy I never heard of- interviewing Georgi / Haduit
Watched the video , he has a point why not just eat the best foods when it is not a problem to do so ? But in his attempt to avoid pufa and keep it below 1gr I think he is eating like a teenage girl around 1500-2000cal a day. Maybe I am mistaken but his graph showed it at some point during the talk.

Peatful

Watched the video , he has a point why not just eat the best foods when it is not a problem to do so ? But in his attempt to avoid pufa and keep it below 1gr I think he is eating like a teenage girl around 1500-2000cal a day. Maybe I am mistaken but his graph showed it at some point during the talk.
Thx for the commitment of watching in full.
I didn’t (was 230am here)

Teaches me to not post at that hour

So
If he was driven to keep PUFA below 1 percent and restricted his food-
The interviewer is orthrorexic

Hence why the Mercola interview spurred this one on
Is that correct?

Peatful

Ok

I watched it

I think Barry is trying to justify his PUFA fear with sound facts
But indeed is undereating

So
The exact opposite of why I posted this video!

Thx @PopSocket

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals