Peaters amongst the metabolic ruins: The loneliness of being pro-metabolic. How is everyone carrying on?

faust jaeger

For many of us on here from birth to our discovery of peat we dwelled in an anti metabolic, anti thyroid, estrogenic haze and never got to feel anything authentically until now. Now obviously some damage is undo-able and we'll never be able to feel and love life as much as someone pre revolution, both industrial and french, but we are coming closer than any other westerners on earth I feel. The hatred of life materially and spiritual poverty of really all non peaters is becoming more evident by the day and being one of the men amongst the metabolic ruins has made me lonely in a way which is unfortunate because the state of loneliness is very unhealthy in every way we measure. I am 21 and my peers compose the most anti-peat generation in history and are unfortunately lost causes to an extent and are truly the human embodiment of "learned helplessness". Seeing all of this daily is tough considering how young everyone is.

I, and millions of others from my generation were not able to experience any of the youthful triumphs that peat talks about in his books which deeply saddens me. Most will never be prometabolic and will live in the "haze" I mentioned before for life.

Last edited:
For many of us on here from birth to our discovery of peat we dwelled in an anti metabolic, anti thyroid, estrogenic haze and never got to feel anything authentically until now. Now obviously some damage is undo-able and we'll never be able to feel and love life as much as someone pre revolution, both industrial and french, but we are coming closer than any other westerners on earth I feel. The hatred of life materially and spiritual poverty of really all non peaters is becoming more evident by the day and being one of the men amongst the metabolic ruins has made me lonely in a way which is unfortunate because the state of loneliness is very unhealthy in every way we measure. I am 21 and my peers compose the most anti-peat generation in history and are unfortunately lost causes to an extent and are truly the human embodiment of "learned helplessness". Seeing all of this daily is tough considering how young everyone is.

I, and millions of others from my generation were not able to experience any of the youthful triumphs that peat talks about in his books which deeply saddens me. Most will never be prometabolic and will live in the "haze" I mentioned before for life.
I am the only “Peater” I know in my life jaeger.
Talk about tough, my husband died unexpectedly last year and my life was in ruins. It was a test of everything for me, and I got to see what I was really made of.

I don’t think life is meant to be smooth sailing, It is a fall down, get hurt, pick yourself up, move a little further and do it again, over and over and over again situation. I have realized that life gets tough when we expect it to be predictable. I am turning sixty this month and feel the best I have ever felt physically and spiritually. I have learned so much about myself from hardship. I have a fresh new start, and I am doing everything differently, and I feel young. You are twenty one and have your whole life ahead of you to be talking so glum. When my husband died, I didn’t know how I was going to move forward, but I thought of that Seinfeld episode where George did everything the opposite, and I have. My motto last year was to say yes to everything. I didn’t let my reluctance, or disinterest in things stop me from doing them anyways, and my life now is unrecognizable from what it was a year and a half ago. I don’t want to keep doing the same things and comparing them my whole life, so I am ready for the downs and appreciate the up times a lot more.

As for my health, it should not be as fantastic as it is, having been exposed to DES in the womb, having a near death experience, unconscious and convulsing from carbon monoxide poisoning, and from various health issues along the way and finally getting through them. At first, 7+ years ago, my Ray Peat diet was really frowned upon, and there were times I felt like an outsider at restaurants and parties with others, but I stayed my path and while those around me are still struggling on a slow decline to getting old, they are seeing I am thriving, and so they are starting to latch on to little things now that I do, like asking me to order for them in restaurants and they ask me for advice. One friend, after picking my brain, ditched being a vegetarian and is eating sugar now, and says she feels so much better, and she looks much healthier too. I don’t get upset feeling different from the crowd, and I am so happy to see all the little things amount to bigger things. My very good friend, with stage 4 cancer, ridicules Ray Peat, but she is eating raw honey now and grounding most days and her doctor visits are showing fantastic results from it.

I don’t think it is our beginning that matters jaeger, as much as where we end up, and what we do with what we have learned. Being young and stupid is expected, being old and stupid is a shame. Being an inspiration is so much more gratifying to me than being in a pack. I had a really bad childhood, and some family members said to me the other day how they were amazed I turned out so well, and felt sorry for me, but I said not to feel sorry for me, that my bad experiences made me a better person. Had I lived a privileged easy life I would not be the strong person I am today. I can’t say the same for my three siblings, as they still deal with hardships, blaming our childhood on their failures and bad habits. They see our hardships differently than I do. I see them as hurdles to overcome, and they see see them as excuses for not going any further in the race. They stagnated, blaming their past on their future, please don’t do that jaeger. Run forward, and don’t slow down to look around who is in the race with you, and only look back to see see how far you have gotten. It is called being a leader.

Peatful

Your youth is a plus
Because you figured it out so early
But
I see why it would feel isolating

As you heal
This shtt fades

You will bloom more and more
More aware
More empowered
More balanced
More dopamine….
I promise

Regina

I am the only “Peater” I know in my life jaeger.
Talk about tough, my husband died unexpectedly last year and my life was in ruins. It was a test of everything for me, and I got to see what I was really made of.

I don’t think life is meant to be smooth sailing, It is a fall down, get hurt, pick yourself up, move a little further and do it again, over and over and over again situation. I have realized that life gets tough when we expect it to be predictable. I am turning sixty this month and feel the best I have ever felt physically and spiritually. I have learned so much about myself from hardship. I have a fresh new start, and I am doing everything differently, and I feel young. You are twenty one and have your whole life ahead of you to be talking so glum. When my husband died, I didn’t know how I was going to move forward, but I thought of that Seinfeld episode where George did everything the opposite, and I have. My motto last year was to say yes to everything. I didn’t let my reluctance, or disinterest in things stop me from doing them anyways, and my life now is unrecognizable from what it was a year and a half ago. I don’t want to keep doing the same things and comparing them my whole life, so I am ready for the downs and appreciate the up times a lot more.

As for my health, it should not be as fantastic as it is, having been exposed to DES in the womb, having a near death experience, unconscious and convulsing from carbon monoxide poisoning, and from various health issues along the way and finally getting through them. At first, 7+ years ago, my Ray Peat diet was really frowned upon, and there were times I felt like an outsider at restaurants and parties with others, but I stayed my path and while those around me are still struggling on a slow decline to getting old, they are seeing I am thriving, and so they are starting to latch on to little things now that I do, like asking me to order for them in restaurants and they ask me for advice. One friend, after picking my brain, ditched being a vegetarian and is eating sugar now, and says she feels so much better, and she looks much healthier too. I don’t get upset feeling different from the crowd, and I am so happy to see all the little things amount to bigger things. My very good friend, with stage 4 cancer, ridicules Ray Peat, but she is eating raw honey now and grounding most days and her doctor visits are showing fantastic results from it.

I don’t think it is our beginning that matters jaeger, as much as where we end up, and what we do with what we have learned. Being young and stupid is expected, being old and stupid is a shame. Being an inspiration is so much more gratifying to me than being in a pack. I had a really bad childhood, and some family members said to me the other day how they were amazed I turned out so well, and felt sorry for me, but I said not to feel sorry for me, that my bad experiences made me a better person. Had I lived a privileged easy life I would not be the strong person I am today. I can’t say the same for my three siblings, as they still deal with hardships, blaming our childhood on their failures and bad habits. They see our hardships differently than I do. I see them as hurdles to overcome, and they see see them as excuses for not going any further in the race. They stagnated, blaming their past on their future, please don’t do that jaeger. Run forward, and don’t slow down to look around who is in the race with you, and only look back to see see how far you have gotten. It is called being a leader.

:claporange

liam183

I'm 20 so I get it. Some people will come around. Most won't. Oh well. You can still be friends with people that don't take health seriously

OP
faust jaeger

faust jaeger

Your youth is a plus
Because you figured it out so early
But
I see why it would feel isolating

As you heal
This shtt fades

You will bloom more and more
More aware
More empowered
More balanced
More dopamine….
I promise
Thats one of my favorite Peat quotes.

Peatful

Thats one of my favorite Peat quotes.
Have no idea
I wrote that standing in a grocery store line
Unless you’re being tongue in cheek

Peat: “This shtt fades”.

Runenight201

Being pro-metabolic shouldn’t feel lonely at all.

People are always talking about energy vampires, where as negativity and what not will bring you down.

However it just as well works the other way as well. Attractive people, (not physically, but energetically) lift people up. People gravitate towards you, want to interact with you, show you positivity, etc…

They’ll listen to you, your energy will be contagious, your reasoning crystal clear, your demeanor rapturous, because good energy is palpable. You’ll know it when you feel it, and other people will too.

TheSir

Being pro-metabolic shouldn’t feel lonely at all.
I think OP is talking about pursuing a pro-metabolic life, which can feel like swimming against the current in the modern society. You're certainly right that having a good metabolism should not feel lonely at all.

Herbie

@faust jaeger

You will walk a fine line between being on the fringe of society and being a part of it, choosing when to how much to participate based on the circumstances and wisdom learnt.

Work life is easy because you will out smart and out pace the Co workers but won't conform and submit like they will and will get frustrated with laziness, incompetance, stupidity and politics with Co workers and bosses.

Will increasingly understand that the government is your worst enemy and is the cause of all your problems.

You may come to think that having children is the most amazing thing on earth but won't because you know the kind of suffering they will endure due to the ever increasing degeneration of the western world.

I hope you can find a suitable mate or learn to enjoy solitude.

naevastar

Wow you are only 21, that is very young!
I think it is very positive that you have already discovered this forum and dr. Peat's knowledge.

I do feel very lonely at times.
I am 33 and discovered dr. Peat's work at the very start of the year I turned 25 which was also the final year of my undergraduate degree in Nutrition and Dietetics.
I lost many friendships already in high school, then again when I moved overseas to study, then again when I had children.
Now I feel I am good at making new friends but I am not good at keeping friendships.
And it is hard for me to unlearn what I have learnt about nutrition and health.
Every time I meet someone I automatically see their "health issues" and "nutrition opinions".
I do feel more liberated knowing what I know about nutrition however because of the direction society seems to be going (and has been for a long time) I meet so many people that do not eat meat or sugar, and women that mainly do cardio.
I cannot seem to find like-minded people anywhere except occasionally some people I follow on social media.. Or reading here on this forum.
And it makes me really sad because I genuinely feel "perfect nutrition" can only take you to a certain point with your health.
I do think it would be beneficial to have a close group of friends/feel part of a social group and interact with people in the real world.

Runenight201

I think OP is talking about pursuing a pro-metabolic life, which can feel like swimming against the current in the modern society. You're certainly right that having a good metabolism should not feel lonely at all.

He’s young and probably in a poor environment, maybe a college one where many people are drinking heavily/eating whatever, so it’s shaping his reference point heavily. But evenso, I know there are young people who care about their bodies, the environment, and society at large. He’s being overtly pessimistic. Read his last sentence…. Also, I would say that many, many people are beginning to feel ill tho, moreso than they used to, and are now more health conscious and seeking solutions to feel better.

A sound value system will both help build camaraderie with others while also deflecting any negative metabolic assaults that are rampant and negative judgements that come from your behavior/decisions.

“I want to feel GOOD for as much and as long as possible” note, the use of the word good, and not healthy. Because healthy is a trigger word for many in being strict and eating salads, whereas everyone agrees that they want to feel good. By adding long, we are also setting up a sustainability measure, where it’s not sufficient to just do a ton of drugs and then die tomorrow, we want life span and health span.

From this premise, many decisions are then simply rational choices of what allows for maximal health and life, and by confidently and calming asserting your position respectfully, others will take note, particularly when you’re able to maintain positive energy and move in a pain free body, where as others will be ridddled with fatigue, pain, negativity, etc…

OP
faust jaeger

faust jaeger

I think it is very positive that you have already discovered this forum and dr. Peat's knowledge.

I am 33 and discovered dr. Peat's work at the very start of the year I turned 25 which was also the final year of my undergraduate degree in Nutrition and Dietetics.
I lost many friendships already in high school, then again when I moved overseas to study, then again when I had children.
Now I feel I am good at making new friends but I am not good at keeping friendships.
Every time I meet someone I automatically see their "health issues" and "nutrition opinions".
I do feel more liberated knowing what I know about nutrition however because of the direction society seems to be going (and has been for a long time) I meet so many people that do not eat meat or sugar, and women that mainly do cardio.
I cannot seem to find like-minded people anywhere except occasionally some people I follow on social media.. Or reading here on this forum.
And it makes me really sad because I genuinely feel "perfect nutrition" can only take you to a certain point with your health.
I do think it would be beneficial to have a close group of friends/feel part of a social group and interact with people in the real world.
That is exactly how I feel too. I wish there was some form of community irl.

haidut

Forum Supporter
That is exactly how I feel too. I wish there was some form of community irl.

Most of the "developed" world is already in an state of open collapse. Hence the distractions like UFO, freak accidents (the Titanic sub), celebrities doing crazy things, etc to prevent people from stopping for even a second to perceive what is happening around them. Things will probably become worse this fall/winter after the competing BRICS+ currency is launched and the "developed" world plunges further into inflation and supply shortages.
In this time of crisis, it is actually easy to spot the few good remaining people. They are usually very practical, empathetic, realistic, and results-oriented. They also tend to not watch TV and/or use social media like Facebook/Insta, except maybe for their business (if they own one). Look for those people and try to associate with them. I'd stay away from the delusional types who keep repeating that everything is fine and things are even getting better. As tempting it is to "indulge positivity", IMO it is very detrimental, even in the short run, as it creates a kind of psychosis due to its constant clash with (current) reality - i.e. harms our brain by putting us mentally in a state of constant conflict. In my experience, the people to look for are, to quote one movie, realists that are masking as pessimists, but hoping they become optimists. I'd look for those and know that there are many like you out there. However, most such people are actively hiding due to the system now hunting them down to avoid, as Ray once said in an interview about CIA's attitude, the danger of "even a single good example" that can wake people up and turn them against the system. So, they can be hard to find, but will come out when the going gets even tougher. Nothing last forever and this, too, will pass.

OJ and Salt

Forum Supporter

Possibly Meet Ups if there are enough individuals in a geographic area. I told 1 person about Ray Peat after he commented on my weight loss. I am glad I found this forum. I feel better and look younger. Best to you.

Runenight201

Most of the "developed" world is already in an state of open collapse. Hence the distractions like UFO, freak accidents (the Titanic sub), celebrities doing crazy things, etc to prevent people from stopping for even a second to perceive what is happening around them. Things will probably become worse this fall/winter after the competing BRICS+ currency is launched and the "developed" world plunges further into inflation and supply shortages.
In this time of crisis, it is actually easy to spot the few good remaining people. They are usually very practical, empathetic, realistic, and results-oriented. They also tend to not watch TV and/or use social media like Facebook/Insta, except maybe for their business (if they own one). Look for those people and try to associate with them. I'd stay away from the delusional types who keep repeating that everything is fine and things are even getting better. As tempting it is to "indulge positivity", IMO it is very detrimental, even in the short run, as it creates a kind of psychosis due to its constant clash with (current) reality - i.e. harms our brain by putting us mentally in a state of constant conflict. In my experience, the people to look for are, to quote one movie, realists that are masking as pessimists, but hoping they become optimists. I'd look for those and know that there are many like you out there. However, most such people are actively hiding due to the system now hunting them down to avoid, as Ray once said in an interview about CIA's attitude, the danger of "even a single good example" that can wake people up and turn them against the system. So, they can be hard to find, but will come out when the going gets even tougher. Nothing last forever and this, too, will pass.

Collapse is not inevitable, change certainly is. How we utilize technology to re-organize our society will determine whether we enter an age of unprecedented prosperity or collapse into dark ages again. Plenty of rational reasons to be optimistic, while of course conceding that it is not guaranteed (nothing ever is).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals